Cruising with Zay - A Breakaway Review

TnomadX

Awesome review. We'll be leaving on the Breakaway 11/17/13 with a friend that really loves Fire & Ice. Was it mentioned how much longer they will be on the ship? I know they do go home for the holidays so we're hoping they will still be onboard when we get there.

Did you talk to anyone staying in the Haven suites? Wondering what they had to say?

Thanks again!!!!

The Haven suites are also are keyed access. Everyone I met that had a room there LOVED it. I wished I had gotten a chance to see one of the cabins so I could have posted a review about it. Sorry I'm not much help there.

Zay, loved your review and I am sure lots of people will benefit from it. It was a joy meeting you and spending time with you.

Hope our paths cross again.

until then...

Suz

Thank you so much. It was so much fun spending time with you and Norm on board. I'm so glad we had the opportunity to.

Great review Zay! I'm glad you had a good experience in Cagney's - our server was terrible! It took 20 minutes for him just to come over to our table. The assistant waiter was great but the head waiter not so much. We ate there on the same night - sorry I missed you. I actually kept looking for you because you were the only one on the thread with a picture of themselves. The service definitely was lacking. Another gripe with me was holding events in the Atrium. Way too crowded!

We had orange tags but we didn't wait to be called off. We just went for it and no one said anything! We exited through the front of the ship only to be herded back with all the aft debarkies. It was a mess!

I'm so sorry Jenny :(. Did you talk to one of the Maitre D's and share your experience? I found that the Maitre D's were very helpful at Cagney's. And OMG!!! We kept missing each other on the last night. You actually had a room a couple of doors down from a couple from our roll call. I learned this on the last night of our sailing. I missed you at Cagney's too? We were really looking for you. I started to have them page you so we could finally meet...lol. Then I thought that might have frightened you to hear, "paging Jenny105...Jenny105, your party is waiting to meet you in the atrium near guest services!" LOL.

The debarkation was awful I thought. I wouldn't use the tags again unless I really had nothing to do for the rest of the day. I hope others have a much better experience. I really encourage those who sail on the Breakaway to just keep their bags and walk off the ship.

Hi Zay - I read EVERY word of this review - very thorough, honest and balanced!! I can't wait to sail on the Breakaway for the New Year's Eve holiday week.

You answered so many of my questions and reinforced a lot of what others have posted.

One quick question remains!!! I have been to GSC on the Jewel - our group rented two cabanas and had a fun day. Is the lagoon area you described beyond the Cabana area?? I'm thinking that the main part of the island will be very crowded since it's a holiday vacation week - so, we'd like to find the quieter Lagoon area that you described. Thanks again!!

Thank you so very much for reading my review. Yes, the lagoon area is just beyond the cabana area. The main part of the island will probably be very crowded because not many people will want to walk to the lagoon. There were very few people there on our sailing, and it was absolutely beautiful. You have access to the beach, and there were plenty of loungers. The covered area is not smooth (no cement floors, and is all sand), but it was nice being out of the sun for a while. It was really hot when we were there.

After seeing the cabanas, I'm not sure that I would rent one. They looked very nice and were plentiful though. How did you enjoy them?

What about private island. She has a walker and I thought this would be a better choice since scooter would probably not do well there. Do you think we can get some assistance (ex. transportation to lounges).

I did notice people on scooters and walkers at the private island. Assistance is available getting on the tenders, but I'm not sure about assistance getting on the island. There is a smooth path for those with difficulties to get around easily.

I'm so sorry Jenny :(. Did you talk to one of the Maitre D's and share your experience? I found that the Maitre D's were very helpful at Cagney's. And OMG!!! We kept missing each other on the last night. You actually had a room a couple of doors down from a couple from our roll call. I learned this on the last night of our sailing. I missed you at Cagney's too? We were really looking for you. I started to have them page you so we could finally meet...lol. Then I thought that might have frightened you to hear, "paging Jenny105...Jenny105, your party is waiting to meet you in the atrium near guest services!" LOL.

The debarkation was awful I thought. I wouldn't use the tags again unless I really had nothing to do for the rest of the day. I hope others have a much better experience. I really encourage those who sail on the Breakaway to just keep their bags and walk off the ship.

Yes they were right down the hall from me! You could have paged me lol. I would've known it was someone from CC :p We didn't talk to the Maitre D. It didn't bother us much. We weren't in a hurry and by then we were used to the service being less than stellar. Sad to say but true! Especially in O'Sheehans!

Debarkation was a nightmare!

Pete and I have self-disembarked ever since cruise lines started letting people do this. We even downsized our luggage for this Breakaway cruise to make it easier to get down the escalator in the Manhattan terminal. We left the ship at 7:35, went straight through customs, then up to the parking deck, and were on our way home with no hassle.:)

Kathy

I did notice people on scooters and walkers at the private island. Assistance is available getting on the tenders, but I'm not sure about assistance getting on the island. There is a smooth path for those with difficulties to get around easily.

When our tender was pulling in to GSC I noticed a person in a wheelchair being pushed up the path leading to their tender. This wheelchair had massive inflated tires as wheels and looked like it was specifically designed to roll across sand. After the individual entered the tender, the wheelchair was rolled away back to the island....I think chairs like this must be available to any pax who need them....maybe inquire ahead through NCL?

Kathy

Zay,

Thanks for the great review. It was a pleasure to meet you, and hope to sail with you again.

We had yellow tags to get off the ship, were called quite early, but decided to wait because we were getting a bus around 10:30. We actually left the ship about 9:45, didn't think debarktion was any different than any other ship, and really probably a little easier. The best debarktion is from the Disney ship, you eat breakfast, don't wait too be called, just leave the ship when you are finished eating. All your luggage is together, and placed according to the deck you were on. All the cruise companies could benefit from checking it out.

We had a few hic cups, actually burps, on this cruise, but still had a great time.....except Frank is still talking about the cookies. LOL

Bette

Glad someone else had the answer about using a scooter on the private island. I never got around to getting off the ship there. It was part of the plan, but never executed!

We found it to be a breeze getting off the ship. We had light blue tags, which were supposed to be called at 8:40. We left our cabin with our carry on bags at 8:00, and went to breakfast at Savor. We finished up at 8:30, and were going to find somewhere to wait for our tags to be called. As soon as we got out of the restaurant, they called the first 4 colors which included ours. So, we went up the aft elevator. As the doors opened, we were in the line to disembark. We tried to "swim up stream" to get to the end of the line. But, we saw someone that was with our group who told us to just get in the line. I felt bad that we jumped ahead, but there really wasn't an easy way to get to the end of the line.

Picked up our bags, and breezed through customers - only one person in front of us. I think we were outside by 9 or so. Found our bus home. All but one couple made the bus quickly. The last couple, who arrive 30 to 45 minutes later, said that getting off the ship was a nightmare. So, something must have caused a bottleneck from the first groups called to the later ones.

Sounds like Disney does have a great method.

Does NCL have a Captains party like Carnival and Royal? Are there any opportunities for free drinks? I am a past guest but it's been a while since I was on NCL.

Also, just wondering who was sending you the bottles of wine in your room?

Thanks for your great review

Zay,

Thanks for the great review. It was a pleasure to meet you, and hope to sail with you again.

We had yellow tags to get off the ship, were called quite early, but decided to wait because we were getting a bus around 10:30. We actually left the ship about 9:45, didn't think debarktion was any different than any other ship, and really probably a little easier. The best debarktion is from the Disney ship, you eat breakfast, don't wait too be called, just leave the ship when you are finished eating. All your luggage is together, and placed according to the deck you were on. All the cruise companies could benefit from checking it out.

We had a few hic cups, actually burps, on this cruise, but still had a great time.....except Frank is still talking about the cookies. LOL

Bette

Hello Bette,

It was such a pleasure to meet you & Frank. I want to be like you two when I grow up :). I should have brought Frank some of the cookies we had in the studio lounge. They were plentiful there. I agree that Disney has the best debarkation process I've ever experienced. If only I could cruise them again. Their just to expensive for my budget right now.

I am so glad you were able to still have a great time despite the "burps" you encountered. I really love how positive you are as I know what you experienced on board that would absolutely make others very upset.

I also hope to sail with you again in the future. Please do keep in touch. :)

--

Zay

Zay, you did such a great job sharing your experiences. I loved reading about everything and seeing your pictures. Great job! I am sad it is over...

Thank you so very much. It was my first time on a Norwegian ship, so I wanted to give others an overview of what they may expect. It was a lot of fun to write.

Does NCL have a Captains party like Carnival and Royal? Are there any opportunities for free drinks? I am a past guest but it's been a while since I was on NCL.

Also, just wondering who was sending you the bottles of wine in your room?

Thanks for your great review

I'm not sure if there's a captain's party or not. I know there's an opportunity to meet the captain, but it wasn't really a party. I didn't see much opportunity for free drinks either. All drinks were for fee minus the complimentary breakfast juices and water.

I know that one of the bottles of wine came from my travel agent, and one was complimentary from housekeeping. If you all have a meet & mingle planned through the cruise line, they will send small treats to your room a couple of times ;)

Sorry I wasn't much help :(

Hi Zay, love, love, love your reviews ! So sad that it ended :(

I look forward to reading your reviews on your upcoming cruises. Please don't stop :D:D

Happy sailing!

I LOVE your screen name ;)

I will keep doing it. I find it to be so much fun. Keep looking for them.

Oh meant to ask you. Did you ever catch Boyz II Men at Epcot? They were great!

I did get a chance to "hear" them in the park, but we didn't stay. We had to head back. We must have walked past each other several times...LOL

What about private island. She has a walker and I thought this would be a better choice since scooter would probably not do well there. Do you think we can get some assistance (ex. transportation to lounges).

The beach is full of sand. It might be fun to take the walker and try walking out there. The sand can be a bit hard to walk on though because it isn't flat. They do have a paved area, but they have vehicles that pass through them very often. The drivers were polite and waited for people to pass by.

I would definitely ask someone on the ship what they would recommend. I'm hoping someone who used a scooter will come and help answer this question as well.

I wish I could be of more help :(

Thank you Zay for a great review. We were on the same cruise and met you at the meet and greet. I just finished reading your whole review and it was like going on the cruise all over again. We spent a good deal of our time in the spa, which is the best we've ever seen. And we loved O-Sheehan's - everyone's talking about the Chicken Pot Pie but did you try the Shepard's Pie? It was equally delicious. Try it next time. We're booking the Breakaway again next year, same time.

Hello Zay, I have been reading your review since you began. Thank you for providing a fun upbeat informative review of the Breakaway. I think a lot of people want to sail with you in the future! Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences,

coka

Thank you Zay for a great review. We were on the same cruise and met you at the meet and greet. I just finished reading your whole review and it was like going on the cruise all over again. We spent a good deal of our time in the spa, which is the best we've ever seen. And we loved O-Sheehan's - everyone's talking about the Chicken Pot Pie but did you try the Shepard's Pie? It was equally delicious. Try it next time. We're booking the Breakaway again next year, same time.

Hi Doylecat! I was wondering if you can tell a little more about your spa experience and can you explain to me what a salt room is? I hope to snag a spa pass and wonder if the 200 price is equal to the value/benefit.

Coka

Hi Zay,

Just finished reading your review and WOW-- you did such an excellent job!:) It made me feel like I’m back sailing on the Breakaway again and having a great time. We’re so glad we met ya and you are a fun person to cruise with. We really enjoyed all that quality time drinking and eating those chocolates out on our balcony. Hope to go on a future cruise with ya. We will definitely keep in touch and looking forward to seeing ya in Jan.