Calling all Scuba Divers!!

My DH and I are taking a RCCL Mexican Riviera cruise in February for our 15th Anniversary. My DH has always wanted to go Scuba Diving. Which is the best Port to do Beginning Scuba? Any recommendations for a specific dive site would be fabulous!

I have posted this in the Mexican Riviera section of the boards but I have had no responses. I was hoping I would be able to get some suggestions here.

Thanks for all your help!!

This is the Thread I started about P.V. and Begining Scuba and should answer your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=160088

This is the Thread for the Dec. 2006 Scuba Trip in the Carribbean, these guys have been all over and can give you advice on the Mexican Side.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=175999

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=157768

My husband said that Mazatlan and Cabo had the best scuba diving. He said the visibility for Puerta Vallarta was not that great. He is certified so I don't know anything about which has a beginner course, but I would do Cabo or Mazatlan.

My recommendation... Get certified before you go, as it will give you more options in the long run, and probably be cheaper too...;)

Definately get certified before you go. Visibility depends on what time of year you go, and the weather conditions.

Make sure that when he signs on to the excursion to know what depth they take them to and what the visibility is 100ft or better is good anything less than 100ft in the ocean forget it. Beginners should normally go only to about 30-35 feet, this way if there is a problem they can ascend quickly, and you spend more time underwater. other dives that go to about 60 - 70 feet and have a decompression stop at about 25 feet for 5 minutes and you are not under as long. This way he will get the most for his money and still enjoy the experience of scuba diving. I also found diving at 30-35 feet more enjoyable as the colors are better than if you go deeper where everything looks more blue. V

Archived