Diving the Kittiwake in Grand Cayman

Rosieo

• 3 weeks later...

My husband did this dive on our cruise in March. He booked the dive himself and loved it. He said it was one of the best wreck dives he's been on....and he's done alot. They've opened up the ship so you can actually go into the body of the ship. I believe it's five decks. He used a dive shop that was within walking distance to the pier....not sure of the name but will check his log book and post later.

My husband did this dive on our cruise in March. He booked the dive himself and loved it. He said it was one of the best wreck dives he's been on....and he's done alot. They've opened up the ship so you can actually go into the body of the ship. I believe it's five decks. He used a dive shop that was within walking distance to the pier....not sure of the name but will check his log book and post later.

PLease let me know who he used. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

the marine park in this case is the area where the wreck sits. altho ALL reef areas in Cayman are protected this is a 'special' area and requires special permits and fees. So no 'facilities'

The Kittiwake is situated in marine park that is protected under law in Cayman, with no touching or taking of anything, no gloves allowed and no fishing allowed on the wreck/Kittiwake site. It requires an entrance fee to visit from a licensed operator, with the fees going towards the ongoing maintenance and protection of the new artificial wreck/reef plus natural reefs. An exception to taking fish is made for culling lionfish, an invasive species to Cayman waters.

Edited by Capt_BJ

I dove the wreck last year with Neptunes. They pick up in the middle of 7mile so you would need a cab from the pier to that point. I know they also only do the dive a couple of times a week so you may have to look at a few different ops to find the right one going on the day you need.

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I dove kittiwake on our honeymoon last year. We have many years of dive experience and have dove many wrecks and this is by far one of our favorite. My husband even saw a shark. He was happy! I was glad I didn't see it.lol! you can swim inside the ship which is awesome! We used sunset house dive resort which I HIGHLY recommend!!! Stingray city is also a pretty special place to dive in GC. The sting ray are wild not caged..which was important to me. You get to pet and feed them. Very cool! North wall is also

Amazing for shore diving but may be to far from the port. We stayed on the island. Hope this helps! Dive on my friend!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums