How to keep cabin organized?

Nicki_p100

I will be sailing on Navigator in December with my family for our very first cruise! I am looking for tips on how to keep the cabin organized, with a teen in the room. I would love to hear from people who have traveled on Navigator (we are on deck 6, balcony cabin) who could tell me:

• How wide are the closets- is there space for 1 or 2 "sweater shelves"? We would still like space to hang clothes too.
  • Will there be hangers in the room- or should we pack them with the clothes?
  • I've seen tips to bring "over the door hooks", I just priced them, and at $3 it seems like a great idea! How many doors are there in a cabin that the hooks will attach to? (Do the closet door, balcony door, bathroom door etc. swing on hinges or do they slide)?
  • Will a magnet work on the cabin door? Will a message board/ note pads get stolen from the door?
  • Shoes! (Formal shoes, walking shoes, water walkers, sandles X3 people! Is it worth it to bring a shoe organizer, or will everything fit well onto the closet floor- and still leave room for luggage?
  • Extras- I've read people also bring power bar/ extension cords for extra outlets, radio, alarm clock, night light, soft coolers (what size?), thermal/ insulated mugs, and clothes lines to dry towels... What are your "essential extras" you can not travel without? And why?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Nicki-

You seem very organized already. Congrats!

I travel with a teenage son so I know what you mean about the amount of clothes, shoes, luggage and messes!

Regarding the suitcases, I put one into the other and then slide them under the bed. They fit very nice there.

Re: hangers - I always bring extra plastic hangers because they never seem to have enough. I buy the ones at Target 10 for $1.00 and then I just leave them in the cabin after the cruise for the next passengers or the crew to use.

Shoes all seem to fit in the closet.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Leslie

Some ideas: I have also put the suitcases under the bed. I do leave one in the closet into which I put folded dirty clothes. It makes it easier to pack up the last night. (and folded clothes take up less space) I have a stacked shoe holder that I hang in the closet for shoes, and other things. I found that my shoes got so mixed up on the floor! I have an over the door pocket shoe hanger that I put on the bathroom door. I put many things in it. I also have one that hangs in the closet for cameras, etc. Saves a lot of looking around for things.

I pack a lot of our clothes on their hangars and then just hang them in the closet. Saves a lot of time. (I think the closets are about 5-6 feet long. Some have shelves and drawers in them, some don't.)

Message board on the door. Hmmmmm. Might stay, might get taken off by someone who has had too much to drink. I use sticky notes. You could have them as a back-up.

I do have a travel alarm that I take. There is not a clock in the room. (I really take 2 and have one in the bathroom so I can see it at night. One that lit up would do the trick, though.)

Soft cooler: The size would depend on what you want it for. If you want to take drinks and food ashore for an excursion, buy the size for that. If not, you really don't need one at all.

Insulated mugs: I do use one of these to fill up w/ my pop that I have brought on board while up on deck enjoying the sun. Even if you just want lemonade, it will keep it cold for longer than the little glasses they have on the ship.

Clothes line: There has been one in every shower we have had onboard. If your towels are wet, you just get clean ones anyway. I wouldn't take a clothes line.

Power bar: It depends on what kind of electronic equipment you will need outside your bathroom. There are usually 1-2 outlets in the main part of the cabin.

Night light: I just leave the bathroom light on and the door slightly ajar.

The only other things that I think might be important are ziplock bags for all kinds of things, esp. food if you take any off the ship with you. Also, a quart size ziplock into which I have put various and sundry first aid things, including something such as as bandaids and imodium! (Didn't have that once, sure wish I'd had it!)

But, really, you CAN survive w/o a lot of these things!

Have a great cruise!

From several hints on these boards:

The last two trips we have taken a mesh roll up hang over the door shoe rack thingy. I hope you know what I am trying to say? Anyhow it has about two dozen "pockets" and you can see what is in them through the mesh. We had all sorts of things in there that otherwise end up on the tables and desks.

Hangers - if you need more, ask the steward. You will get a bunch but mostly wire. If you don't like using the wire ones, the suggestion of taking your own plastics and leaving them behind sounds great. More room for souveniers :)

Closet Doors - Most have been swing open type. An over the door hook or shoe holder might work. We've never used one.

Magnetic Note Holder - Chances of it being removed will be decreased if you are located in low traffice areas like all the way forward or aft. If your cabin is in a high traffic area I would think that there may be a problem. Maybe use a permanent marker on the front to identify it (like "Nicki's Board").

Shoes - For the two of us, we just use the bottom of the closet, no problem. In your case the shoe organizer may be a better idea.

Night Light - Timex makes a travel alarm that we use for a night light also. Tap the top bar and it makes a soft glow. (Take the battery out befor flying. TSA doesn't like clocks with batteries in them or alarms that may go off inside of luggage :rolleyes:

Power Bar or Extension Cord - Yes, depends on how much electronics you pack. We use it for battery charger and DW's curling iron.

Clothes Line - Every show has had one. You will use ship towels at the pool and leave them there. Bath towels and wash clothes will be replaced by the steward unless you hang them up. Just leave them on the floor and he/she will replace them when they clean up.

Suggestion - Personal First Aid Kit - with the things that you would normally need including: Band-Aids, Tylenol, Tums, Laxative, Anti-diaretic, Neosporin, other things specific to you and your family. Yes, 3 of our must haves are related to the Gastro Intestinal Tract. Diet can change dramatically when you have food available 23/7, including room service, and all the local treats available in the various ports :eek:

Charlie

We use both the over-the-door shoe holder (clear plastic pockets) and an accordion type shoe holder inside the closet. The over-the-door is hung outside the bathroom door and hold keys, sunglasses, hairbrushes, sunscreen, my kids will use it for mp3 players, really anything that will clutter the cabin. The in the closet shoe holder holds shoes, handbags, brochures. We use the bottom of the closet for dirty clothes, repacking every couple of days so we aren't constantly getting the suitcase out from under the bed. The closet shelves are used for folded clothes, such as t-shirts and shorts, the drawers for unmentionables.

I would eliminate every extra on your list, unless you feel like you cannot live without it for the week. We have packed most of what was on your list, but found we never used most of it. The first aid kit, however, is a very good idea.

The cabins and ship are very well stocked with cups, ice buckets, they have pens and paper in the room, the phones usually have a clock and they will do wake-up calls for you. We have forgotten our nightlight a few times and never missed it, but that does come in handy so you don't have to turn the bathroom light on. Find a cheap one that you won't mind leaving behind. Packing lighter has its advantages, especially in a small ships' cabin. Unless you have many appliances that need constant charging, you won't really need an extension cord, just a multi-plug adapter would do. We generally just charge things overnight, so the plugs are available during the day. We don't take our phone charger along, we turn the phone off for vacations, only using it for emergency, or to call for transportation when we return to the airport.

The one extra I always bring along is my hairdryer, the ones provided on ships and hotels are never as good as mine.

Instead of keeping a suitcase open for dirty clothes, we bought one of those pop up hampers - the kind that twists and folds into a little circle and takes up little room and weight in the suitcase. It fits in one of the corners of the room or in the closet and takes up a lot less room than a suitcase (our suitcases go under the bed). When the hamper is full, we pull out a suitcase and pack those dirty clothes. That way we don't have to pull the suitcase out each day. We usually only have to empty it twice during a one week cruise, depending on how often we change clothes.

Thank-you everyone for your great replies! My concern as catmand said is all the stuff that "end up on the tables and desks". Too much stuff, I know from experience! It seems like getting the right balance is the trick- what to pack and what to leave behind!

I am so grateful for all these replies, now I think I will bring an organizer, maybe leave the message board at home and use post-its instead!

I hope every experienced cruiser who reads this thread will continue to leave me their tips and tricks! (If you saw our hotel room during last summer's trip to Niagara Falls you would understand why I need your help- teen daughter!)

6 months to go and I want to pack my luggage today!

Remember that there are drawers in the dresser. Instead of having a 'buncha junk' on top, I use the top drawers for papers, brochures, etc. that accumulate during the cruise, and for keeping $1 bills for tipping room service personnel.

The other drawers (and shelves in closets) hold my folded items like shorts, tees, nighties, lingerie. Shoes can be put in the bottom of the closets or on the shelves. Always plenty of room under the beds for luggage, and placing one inside another is a space saver.

I take the 2-gallon Ziplok bags for dirty items, and just toss them in the bottom/top of the closets.

I take a travel alarm clock w/lighted dial ($4 Walmart). I also take the 2-3 prong adapter for the electrical outlet in the cabin (.79 Walmart). The outlet in the bathroom says it's for elec. razors only. I take a pad of the small post-it notes to leave msgs. for my cabin steward or to myself (forgetful).;) Another hint: Take a highlighter pen to mark all the activities you don't want to miss during the cruise.

I take the 2-gallon Ziplok bags for dirty items, and just toss them in the bottom/top of the closets.
We use those also. When one gets full, compress it like one of those space bags, zip it and toss it in one of the suitcases under the bed.

Charlie

Hangers - I'm one of those people who likes to hang up almost everything. I've always just asked our steward for extras and have always received as many as I'd like - and no, they weren't the wire ones, but the regular wooden ones that are usually provided.

We too have often cruised with a teenager who likes to pack her full wardrobe. Even though the cabins are small, the amount of storage is really good. There are 4 shelves in the closet and several others in the cabin. One over-the-door organizer is a must.

Have a great first cruise!!!

Got my over the door organizer last week at the Dollar Store. Advice from a different thread. Am now thinking of going and getting another one for the closet. So many good ideas but don't want to over pack.

the insulated mugs work WONDERS, as ice/frozen drinks melts almost INSTANTLY when sitting outside and/or in the sun.

we just threw all of our dirty clothes in the suitcases under the bed (though I do like the idea of folding them for easy packing, will be doing that next time). I don't think the pop-up hampers would have done anything for the two of us, let alone a family.

extension cord worked out well, though I don't think we would have needed an entire power strip.

there were more than enough hangers for the two of us, and I'm sure the steward would be happy to scrounge up some more for you, if needed.

besides that, the drawers in the vanity had more than enough space for us, as well as the counters and shelves in the bathroom (though i did have a folding cosmetics case that hung on the bathroom door, I got at Wal-Mart for like $12). band aids, antibiotic ointment, dieuretic pills (man, my friend and I had swollen feet, BAD...we're talking like, 8 months pregnant swollen! I think from the sodium in the cooking and supposedly the water)...those are the only things I picked up here I took and used. that and I WISH I'd have packed a handful of clothes pins...throwing stuff over the clothesline in the bathroom does next to NOTHING. I ended up laying things on the window sill, as there's almost no air flow in the bathroom.

Since we have the closet style shoe holder, it frees up the floor of the closet for dirty clothes. We actually hang our clothes back on the hanger after wearing them (unless they are real dirty or stinky :o and just pull out the suitcase every couple of days to put dirty laundry away. I don't think I could stand the hamper taking up floor space, there is not much of that to be found! We also use the 2 gallon ziplocs for the diry socks and underwear, or anything smelly or damp.We find it's easier to repack if the clothes are still organized in the closet, not wadded up into a suitcase for days. While repacking, I'm always thinking of the laundry (yuk) to do when we return home. I sort the clothes while I'm repacking, making that chore easier, since the return is always so depressing. DH starts the laundry within minutes of our return, it's a rude awakening back to the real world. OK, now I'm depressed.

We used the pop up hamper on our last cruise and loved it. We had picked it up for about $2 and decided to leave it on the ship. Our cabin steward was over-joyed to get it when we were finished. I actually think he was happier to get it than he was the extra $ we tipped him when we were leaving.

:D

Our pop up hamper takes up less than a square foot of floor space and we have no problem finding a spot for it in a Celebrity cabin. It usually takes us about 3 days before full (there are two of us and we change at least 3 times a day -deck clothes, swim wear, and dinner wear- we do change at least once more on port days) so we only need to pull out the suitcase twice during a week.

The large ziploc bags also work well when packing - helps to keep items together (socks, underwear, nylons, etc.) so that everything doesn't get mixed together in the drawers.

Clothespins to hang up bathing suits, etc. on the line in the shower, and I also clip a few on the bottom of the shower curtain to weigh it down so that I'm not wearing it while trying to shower.

I use my suitcases under the bed for 'low-use' items, jackets, formal shoes, evening bags, & also for laundry, rather than using valuable closet space for these items. If you keep the suitcase open, it doesn't require pulling it all of the way out to find items or put them in.

Don't try to bring 'everything but the kitchen sink' as your luggage will be very heavy, and you have to put it all away once you get home. (But as mentioned above, your own hair dryer is worth bringing.)

• 3 weeks later...

These tips are great! So far I have purchased a mesh closet oragnizer, the kind with pockets for shoes. I figure I'm safe no matter what the layout of the room it hangs over a door or in the closet. (24 pockets $12 Wal Mart).

Since everyone raves about the ziplock bags I will use those, and I also got a set of 3 of the super space luggage bags (3/ $14.99).

Most other things I will be able to gather around the house (extention cord, first aid kit, etc).

I have decided not just to bring thermos mugs, but to replace our old mugs- we can use them all summer and take them on the ship. I love the ones from Lee Valley here: http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=1&p=45478&cat=4,104&ap=4

There is one tip I came across on a backpacker web site I'd like to pass on. They recommend a large cardboard envelope from FEDEX for all the paper mementos you collect. It is large, sturdy, and will hold all the brochures etc wrinkle free in your luggage on the way home.

Thank-you to everyone who has replied, I am a little more at ease about sharing a cabin with my daughter. Keep sharing you great ideas!

To save space when packing, rethink your formal wear.my new formal dress is light and "chiffony" folds up very small and doesnt crease when packed. double check you can get a couple of wears out of each item you take. Black pants and different tops for example.

pare down your toiletries. Our whole family now uses the one type of shampoo(mine of course) one tube of toothpaste etc. I limit my makeup and take trial size creams etc.

All only minor but they all add up to saving space and the less you have the more neater the cabin will appear.

now our bags will be full of cameras and equipment, mp3s and all stuff we never used to take (just one camera and film.....)

cheers

karon

They recommend a large cardboard envelope from FEDEX for all the paper mementos you collect. It is large, sturdy, and will hold all the brochures etc wrinkle free in your luggage on the way home.

any 8 x 11 envelope with cardbaord inside will work this idea. especially if you buy photos.

I always pack an emergency kit for our cruises inside a homemade cloth thingy that I bought at a garage sale. It opens up like a book, weighs almost nothing, but has pockets were I can pack a few Bandaids of different sizes, a couple pre-packaged guaze bandages, a small roll of medical tape and a partial tube of Neosporene. Weighs almost nothing and takes up little space in the luggage.

I also have a collection of plastic travel-size bottles I purchase at discount stores that I use to for items like shower and hair gel, Aloe gel, etc. Don't need to take a whole bottle of those items on a cruise, but nice to have a bit of them when necessary.

I love Bath & Body Works products and found out a long time ago how much the bottles of cream, shower gel, bath sprays, etc. can take up space in luggage as well as add to weight. I now have small travel bottles of my absolute favorites that I travel with. When the travel bottles are looking a bit empty I refill them with my stash from those full size bottles in my bathroom.

It may sound like a small thing - but when looking at weight and space with the luggage - every bit saved in weight and every inch saved in space is worth the effort.

Dianne

Archived