QM2 crossing: What are the options for early flight arrival at JFK?

susan1234

There are eight of us, and we will be arriving at approx. 7:30a.m. Not sure if there is a waiting hall at the Pier and with loads of luggage, we are thinking of:

1. Renting a van and driving around NYC until time for boarding?

(Concern: weekday NY traffic, parking and with lots of visible luggage, van being broken into.... etc)

2. Checkng into a hotel for three hours?

Any other ideas?

There are eight of us, and we will be arriving at approx. 7:30a.m. Not sure if there is a waiting hall at the Pier and with loads of luggage, we are thinking of:

1. Renting a van and driving around NYC until time for boarding?

(Concern: weekday NY traffic, parking and with lots of visible luggage, van being broken into.... etc)

2. Checkng into a hotel for three hours?

Any other ideas?

Susan,

Flight arrival at 7.30. You will be in the city say... 9am to 9.30.

There is a midtown hotel called The Hotel Edison. They are very good with baggage. I would suggest booking just one room with them and explain that you need a very eary check-in.... and only need the roooom until 1pm. Might cost you $100 to $150. Instead of taking ALL the baggage up to the room, just take up the carry-on pieces with your valuables. Ask the porter to keep the rest of the pieces together for a check out at 1pm. They are usually quite good at doing this. Make sure you tip the guys! Make sure you tell the hotel exactly what you are doing and why. You shouldn't have any problem. From the hotel you are a one minute walk from Times Square and only a five minute ride to the pier.

Directory for NYC sould easily give you their tel. no.

The Hotel Edison

46th & 47th Street.

(212 555 1212)

Stephen

I have just returned from 17 days on the Qm11 and am about to write a full report. I have an apartment close to where the ship docks in New York. If you arrive at 7.30, this is a busy time for traffic, so it might take just over an hour to get to the ship. You proberbly will not want to sit for so long waiting to board th ship so I would like to recommend the most wonderful driver in New York , who has a van, that would pick you up at JFK and drive you around or take you to the dock, whatever you would require. He is also very trustworthy, he has been driving my family for years. His name is Johnny and his phone number is 917 560 7571 which is a cell. I think this is better than renting a van and his prices are very fair. He drives my family virtually every other day . Hope this helps. A great breakfast place, not too far from where the ship is, is Sarabeths or else only a little further away is Normas at the Le Merridien Hotel

What and miss breakfast at the Edison?!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Must be one of the few remaining places anywhere where you can have a breakfast for around $6.

The suggestion to rent and drive around in a van sounds good as well. Of course having the hotel rooom means you can at least wash face before going to the ship. Either way it is going to be a long day.

I make it a rule never to fly and sail on the same day if it can be avoided. Something goes wrong at the airport and you miss a flight and then you have a big problem. Besides, it is nice to relax and unwind for a night in a hotel then board at a convenient time next day.

Stephen

Does Johnny do transfers from JFK to a hotel in NY? We are staying at the Radio City Apts and I am now exploring options on how to get from JFK to the hotel. Going on the QM2 in October.

Grace

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have also an idea. How about booking three rooms at a hotel near JFK (so we could wash up and take a nap upon arrival) via priceline, then take our own sweet time getting to the pier?

(Concern: the hotel may not have rooms available for check-in that early. :( )

re early check in for rooms at JFK:

What if you book the rooms for the night before, check in early AM, then check out around noon and head to the pier?

Good idea.

Dunno if they cancel your room after midnight? Anyone know?

Good idea.

Dunno if they cancel your room after midnight? Anyone know?

If you guarantee your arrival with a credit card, they'll charge you after the cancellation time, so they won't cancel your reservation.

I agree that it's best to stay at least the night before in case there's a problem with your flight. We'll arrive in NYC on 12/6 and go on the QM2 on 12/8. Two days because of possible weather problems.

Johnny will drive you anywhere, I would trust him with your luggage or with anything else. He is wonderful. I trust him to drive my children everywhere-- he has been driving us for so long. Actually I find his service in some instances to be less expensive than a yellow cab, as he has a flat rate and when you use a yellow cab, if there is alot of traffic the fare can run up fast. He is always prompt, always opens and closes the doors and will not let you carry your luggage- really royal service. Any other questions, feel free to emamil me at sanmerle3@aol.com.

If you guarantee your arrival with a credit card, they'll charge you after the cancellation time, so they won't cancel your reservation.

I agree that it's best to stay at least the night before in case there's a problem with your flight. We'll arrive in NYC on 12/6 and go on the QM2 on 12/8. Two days because of possible weather problems.

I would also make sure they know you will be arriving that morning, so they keep your room.

SANDRAMERLE

I have just returned from 17 days on the Qm11 and am about to write a full report. I have an apartment close to where the ship docks in New York. If you arrive at 7.30, this is a busy time for traffic, so it might take just over an hour to get to the ship. You proberbly will not want to sit for so long waiting to board th ship so I would like to recommend the most wonderful driver in New York , who has a van, that would pick you up at JFK and drive you around or take you to the dock, whatever you would require. He is also very trustworthy, he has been driving my family for years. His name is Johnny and his phone number is 917 560 7571 which is a cell. I think this is better than renting a van and his prices are very fair. He drives my family virtually every other day . Hope this helps. A great breakfast place, not too far from where the ship is, is Sarabeths or else only a little further away is Normas at the Le Merridien Hotel

SANDRAMERLE

He is not a tour guide, but definately would be able to drive you past all the tourist attractions, let you out and hold the car, and take you wherever you might want to go. If you gave him a list pf places, he would take you there, and be at your disposal. As a driver, he certainly knows his way around New York.

Archived