What is open in Belize on Christmas Day

thescot123

Will be in Belize, from NCL Jewel, on Christmas Day. Being that it used to be a Ex-British colony, I would assume that most shops would be closed on Christmas day.

Has anyone been there on Christmas day and tell me what is open/shut. I did notice that the Belize Zoo is shut which was a place that is on my list to visit.

Thanks

I am going out on a limb and assuming that the shops and restaurants in the Tourist Village (tender docks) will be open. 3 ships 7700 passengers. Tenders will be running. Ship excursions to some of the Maya ruins might run as the vendors provide the guides and there's no "gate" . Not sure about the cavetubing site. The two primary churches in Belize City near the T.V. will probably have services (one's Catholic-St Mary's, the other Anglican-St Johns), but times may or may not coincide with ship schedules. Water taxis to San Pedro and Caye Caulker may be operating. Not sure what would be open in CC, but probably not everything. Private snorkeling trips would be up to the operators.

If I may also suggest, head to the review boards or the Carnival boards and search for reviews for the Carnival Dream. She was in Belize last Christmas, only ship that day.

Edited by crewsweeper

I am going out on a limb and assuming that the shops and restaurants in the Tourist Village (tender docks) will be open. 3 ships 7700 passengers. Tenders will be running. Ship excursions to some of the Maya ruins might run as the vendors provide the guides and there's no "gate" . Not sure about the cavetubing site. The two primary churches in Belize City near the T.V. will probably have services (one's Catholic-St Mary's, the other Anglican-St Johns), but times may or may not coincide with ship schedules. Water taxis to San Pedro and Caye Caulker may be operating. Not sure what would be open in CC, but probably not everything. Private snorkeling trips would be up to the operators.

If I may also suggest, head to the review boards or the Carnival boards and search for reviews for the Carnival Dream. She was in Belize last Christmas, only ship that day.

Thanks for the info. This is my first Christmas cruise. Yes, I will check out the carnival dream boards .

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

2 short ones on the Carnival board:

Looks like cavetubing with VIV and Altun Ha (ship?) via land and River Wallace are available.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1765547&highlight=carnival+dream+christmas+cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1759407&highlight=carnival+dream+christmas+cruise

2 short ones on the Carnival board:

Looks like cavetubing with VIV and Altun Ha (ship?) via land and River Wallace are available.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1765547&highlight=carnival+dream+christmas+cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1759407&highlight=carnival+dream+christmas+cruise

Thanks. Have done Belize many times before and was here in Oct and did the Lamanai ruins. May just take the tender to the Tourism Village and either chill out there or take a walk outside the gates. One review said that they went outside on Christmas day and noticed that there was not many people around. On the bus ride to Lamanai, in Oct, they said that not many people live in Belize city as it is below water, floods a lot and that most live just outside the main downtown area. Also may do a last minute excursion from the Tourism Village like from the Wet Lizard.