Off Topic - Micro dermabrasion

Jane110

Microdermabrasion is just an intense form of exfoliation. You can exfoliate with a physical scrub or with chemicals, such as alpha or beta hydroxy acids. Exfoliation just removes dead skin cells. Microdermabrasion does a more thorough job than a typical scrub, though the over-the-counter microdermabrasion kits are not as effective as real microdermabrasion at a spa or dermatologist. You can also get regular dermabrasion, not micro, at a dermatologist which is even more intense and thorough and actually requires some recovery time, like other cosmetic procedures.

Thanks Scarletine for explanation of the two. I just finished using L'Oreal and just purchased the Neutrogena and will start using it tonight. The instructions say to use it for 5 days on a "dry" face before you use the crystallized cream (haven't looked yet, is it a cream?).

I too liked the L'Oreal, but scrubbing for the recommended 2 min. would actually hurt my finger tips, but I liked using it in the morning with my shower.

Question - - I use vitamin E cream on my face at night; think that will be good enough moisturizer with the Neutrogena product?

Thanks

Kim

OT - Jane110

To follow up......

We also ate at a place called "Sofia" on W.46th between Bdway & 8th. We stumbled in after the show to have drinks; they had live music (piano & bass) and the menu looked good, so we went back the next night for dinner. It wasn't in Zagat though. We enjoyed it, good wine.

The next night we ate at a restaurant across the street from our hotel, Italian place called Le Tre Venezie. (W. 46th between 6th & Bdway, I believe they call it Restaurant Row) Also wasn't in Zagat. They had a fix price menu that was good, seemed like a lot of theatre people were in there.

There are soooo many restaurants, if was tough choosing!

SilverAnniv,

Thanks for the NY report. Glad you had a good time and found some nice dinners.

All -

Got the Neutrogena kit and have now used it for 2 nights. No irritations or problems, but of couse, no results yet either. Easy to use and I like the applicator.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Jane

Jane110 and others,

I'd be interested in hearing reviews!

I'm also wondering if one who uses Retin A should avoid the at-home microdermabrasion kits. Anybody have any knowledge on this?

I use Retin A and have had microdermabrasion done at a spa and have used the at home kits. No problem. The spa tratment is more intense - but the at home products are good and can be used more often. Just be SURE to use a good moisturizer following the treatment. I do it at night. Wait a good while before putting on the Retin A and then wait again for the moisturizer. Works great.

Good luck! :o

Lois

Thanks for your input Lois.

I have pretty good skin, so I think think that using the Retin A product and the Neutrogena at the same time is not necessary for me and it might cause irritation.

I called the Neutrogena consumer info line and they advised waiting at least 24 hours after microdermabrasion before using a Retinol product. So, when I get into a 2 - 3 day a week microderm. routine, I might use the retinol product on alternating nights.

I have dry skin, so I have always used a heavy moisturizer at night, so no problem there.

Jane

Hi,

FYI, I've been using my Neutrogena microdermabrasion kit for several weeks and my rosacea came back. And more so than before.

I'll be going back to the L'Oreal kit, my face looked great when using it.

Thanks for all the great info.

Kim

Kim,

I've been using the Neutrogenia for about 2 weeks now and have not noticed any difference in skin, positive or negative, other than it seems to be sqeaky clean.

I'll use up the jar and then decide if I want to switch to another brand, like L'Oreal or not.

Thanks for your input.

Jane

Katie,

PLEASE, don't feel bad. I've only used it for 2 weeks, so "the jury's still out" as to whether I think it's effective or not.

Also, I read many positive reviews of the Netrogena microdermobrasion on Drugstore.com, so I would have bought it anyway.

Besdies, you gave me your honest recommendation (which I appreciated hearing) NOT a guarantee! LOL!

Thanks,

Jane

• 2 weeks later...
DON'T DO IT!!! The Susan Lucci stuff is kind of a scam. You get to buy the original kit at $39 or $49, I can't remember. After that it's $89 a kit and your address locks you out of ever getting the original price again. It's the exact same as the Neutrogena in my opinion, or at least the results are. Save your money!

I say the same about the Lancome that a pushy sales person told me would work wonders. I paid $175.00 for the junk and I might as well have been putting dirt on my face for all the good it did. I am leery now of buying anything like that. I thought I might be using it wrong, but my niece tried it too and she said the Loreal was much better. I think Lancome makes Loreal, dont' they? Save your money

Sorry the Neutrogena product didn't work out for you ladies. I feel kinda bad as I was one that really touted it. But I guess everyone's skin is different, and what works for one person won't always work for everyone else.

No Katie please don't feel bad, I had already bought the neutrogena kit before I posted. You can never tell, until you try, if somethings going to work. But I'm glad I know L'Oreal will work for me, since I tried it first.

Jane110 - If you stick with Neutrogena, I have a jar and 3 sponge heads I can send to you. The kit I bought had 2 jars (crystallized Cream) and 4 sponge heads. I would hate to throw them away.

DON'T DO IT!!! The Susan Lucci stuff is kind of a scam. You get to buy the original kit at $39 or $49, I can't remember. After that it's $89 a kit and your address locks you out of ever getting the original price again. It's the exact same as the Neutrogena in my opinion, or at least the results are. Save your money!

It is but there are ways around it. Like call and cancel within a few weeks. Then 2 months or so later use the website for refills. It does work. I've tried a lot of the facial pre-washes and still like the Youthful Essence better than Neutragena's Clean and Clear (the liquid, the cream just is too gooey). I do have problems with my hands due to a spinal cord injury so I really like the applicator's.

And yes to whoever asked about Lancome making L'Oreal. Or at least they are owned by the same company.

No Katie please don't feel bad, I had already bought the neutrogena kit before I posted. You can never tell, until you try, if somethings going to work. But I'm glad I know L'Oreal will work for me, since I tried it first.

Jane110 - If you stick with Neutrogena, I have a jar and 3 sponge heads I can send to you. The kit I bought had 2 jars (crystallized Cream) and 4 sponge heads. I would hate to throw them away.

If Jane's not interested, I would be! :D I'll put my email address in my profile, and maybe we could work something out off of the board. Let me know!

Archived