Mini Suite Question: Sofa Bed

pliskin

Hey gang! My family will be sailing on the Jewel soon and one of my family members is bringing his wife and two boys. They are currently booked in a family balcony that offers the regular bed plus a convertible sofa and a fold down bunk.

They have been offered an upgrade to a mini suite. The question, is the sofa in a mini suite (which looks much larger in the videos I've seen) large enough, when converted to a bed, to accommodate two adults? Their boys would sleep in the main bed, split into two twins.

They are 12 and 10 I think (damn I should know this stuff) and not hip to sharing a bed. The family balcony is 80 square feet smaller so the extra room would be great for 4 ppl.

Thanks!

Hey gang! My family will be sailing on the Jewel soon and one of my family members is bringing his wife and two boys. They are currently booked in a family balcony that offers the regular bed plus a convertible sofa and a fold down bunk.

They have been offered an upgrade to a mini suite. The question, is the sofa in a mini suite (which looks much larger in the videos I've seen) large enough, when converted to a bed, to accommodate two adults? Their boys would sleep in the main bed, split into two twins.

They are 12 and 10 I think (damn I should know this stuff) and not hip to sharing a bed. The family balcony is 80 square feet smaller so the extra room would be great for 4 ppl.

Thanks!

Here are the differences.

In the balcony room there is a single convertible couch that folds out between the main beds and the balcony door. The 4th person sleeps in a bunk that pulls down from the ceiling over the couch/bed. In fact, it blocks access to the balcony door. The advantage is that the two kids would have their own bed. The downside is the beds block the balcony and it's very cramped in the room. The couch/bed is wedged between the balcony and the bed, and they're basically sleeping on a floor pad.

In the mini-suite the full sized couch folds down into a large bed. It's separated from the rest of the room by a curtain, and it does not block access to the balcony. We had a 15 and 12 year old share the bed with no problem on our trip (my nephews). It's large enough for two adults. Having said that, the couch is firm and they will want to request an foam mattress topper for it. The room is MUCH larger inside and they will appreciate the extra room for sure.

By the way, if I were them (and I'm not) I would insist the kids sleep on the couch and them in the much nicer real bed. There's no way I'd let a 10 and 12 yo's bedding preferences dictate where I sleep. Tough bananas, boys. Hell, my 18 and 16yo boys will still share a bed in a pinch. That's just how it is.

Here are a few pictures of a mini-suite. It's two different rooms, just so you're not wondering why the couch is in a different place. :) My nephews were taking turns in, or sharing, the sofa bed in my parent's room, which is shown in the picture below. You can see that it's a large bed...probably double size...which would share well for young kids. Note the curtain and the fact that it's far less crowded than the bedding arrangements in a balcony room.

IMG_3925-vi.jpg

Here's my room next door, just so you get a better view of a mini.

DSCN4707-vi.jpg

DSCN4708-vi.jpg

they also get a tub in the bathroom and a flat screen TV in the mini, which nice too. My folks had the steward just remove the little table. We put ours on the balcony :)

Archived