Transportation from Hobby to Galveston

onebzemom

We are a group of seven. Trying to get to the port in Galveston for our Spring Break cruise has been a pain. Because there is seven in our group we have to hire the bigger van which costs more money. We also wanted the convenience of being able to get to a store and have dinner. We will be traveling with a one year old and my parents who are not up to lots of walking. We thought about hiring a van to Galveston, taking a taxi to the port, and taxi to dinner and taxi to store to get last minute items.

So, here is what we are doing:

We are renting a car at the airport. Still working on a hotel. Looks like it will be in Texas City just because it will be so much less money for three rooms.

We will be returning the car to Budget at Sears in the Mall in Texas City. Budget will take us to the cruise terminal for an extra $50.00.

After the cruise we are to call them when we get through customs. They will pick us up at the cruise terminal for an extra $50.00. They will take us to Sears at the Mall again and we will fill out the paperwork.

Part of our group will be leaving that day at 1pm. We now have a car to do and go as we please. The rest of us are staying one night in Houston. Since we won't be able to check in, we still have a car to go and do. We will return the car to the airport when we leave the next day.

Total cost $275.00

I realize it's not much cheaper than hiring a van each way, but now at least we have some independence. And won't be stuck not being able to check into our hotel.

This is what will work best for our situation. Maybe not for everyone.

But if anyone has any suggestions or comments.........

I'm trying to find out if any hotels in Galveston will pick you up from Hobby. There is only two of us and the lowest I can find for transportation is $130. I paid $45 for Orlando airport to Coco Beach, which is the same distance as Hobby to Galveston.

Is so silly they don't have better transport.

I'm trying to find out if any hotels in Galveston will pick you up from Hobby. There is only two of us and the lowest I can find for transportation is $130. I paid $45 for Orlando airport to Coco Beach, which is the same distance as Hobby to Galveston.

Silly for Houston or Galveston to not have better transport? This is really not any different than getting from LAX to San Pedro or Rome to the port. This is an hour or so drive from Hobby. We will be taking our second cruise from here next November. There used to be a hotel in Houston that would give you a ride and had a price. The OP here has a good idea! There are a number of others who have rented a car, left it at a hotel in Galveston that has free parking and returned to the airport. This one makes the most sense to me.

Remember this is TX a BIG state and not Florida... Just sayin! ;)

I feel I called every hotel in Galveston. I did the Priceline/Hotwire hotel search and did call everyone on the list. There was only one hotel that provided a shuttle from the airport when you chose amenities . It was the Inn at the Waterpark. I called them and they said they did not provide a shuttle. That hotel was $139 a night. Our party did not want to pay that much. But, I was thinking if they provided a shuttle it would be worth the extra money and we would have a really nice hotel. A key word my husband picked up on, it didn't say 'free'. It said free breakfast, internet and parking. So I decided not to pay $139 and then have to pay for the shuttle especially not knowing how much the shuttle would be.