Venice to ban larger Cruise Ships

From next year, any ship over 96,000 grosse tonnes (Thomson Ok for now then) will be banned, and they are reducing the number of ships allowed per day, i believe this will be a reduction of about 20% over the whole year.

http://www.euronews.com/2013/11/06/giant-cruise-liners-to-be-banned-from-venice/

They have been threatening this for a long time - as many that go are of this size and more then the smaller ships like Thomson etc will be ok for now.

Always pays to have a sensibly sized ship where passengers are people and not numbers.

They have been threatening this for a long time - as many that go are of this size and more then the smaller ships like Thomson etc will be ok for now.

Always pays to have a sensibly sized ship where passengers are people and not numbers.

Which reminds me, when we were in Venice on the Majesty on the 21st October (i think), we used the People Mover monorail, and there were scores of people coming in on it with luggage, Easyjet tickets on them, so i presume they were all Embarking that day (was a Royal Caribbean ship in), just made me think, thank goodness for the easy Thomson system, rather than having to find your own way to the ship, especially in Venice.

Which reminds me, when we were in Venice on the Majesty on the 21st October (i think), we used the People Mover monorail, and there were scores of people coming in on it with luggage, Easyjet tickets on them, so i presume they were all Embarking that day (was a Royal Caribbean ship in), just made me think, thank goodness for the easy Thomson system, rather than having to find your own way to the ship, especially in Venice.

I thought that too, soda fountain. It was crowded on the People Mover on 9th September with people carrying/pulling luggage and then pulling it to their ship in the heat. Friends of mine on a Royal Caribbean organised their own flights to Venice but they got a transfer coach from the airport to the side of the ship.

Its actually very easy and cheap to do your own transfers in Venice.

7 euro bus ride to the airport - buy your ticket from the machine in the baggage halls by the carousel, while you wait for you luggage to appear.

1 mins walk from the bus station to the the people mover - 1 euro ticket to the next stop and a 2 minute walk to the ships.

And vice verser - 16 euro transfer and no waiting for the ships bus to fill up before it leaves.