Barbados? coming home

Airline labels are surprisingly strong. I got our cases out of the loft the other day and tried getting an easyjet label off, and the bloody thing wouldn't rip! Only cutting it off seemed to work!

And I'm pretty sure, as the lorries leave the port with your luggage, it's already been pre-sorted, so one lorry for each aircraft for example.

Baggers

It's not the airline labels i was refering to, it's the coloured labels they give you on the ship to put on your bags, at least twice, when i have gone to collect my bags on the quayside, at least 1 has been in the wrong section.

Maybe they take more control in Barbados, as they are going straight to your home airport.

A good idea on the last day is to do a Thomson trip, especially if it is your only time in Barbados (7 day or transatlantic cruise). You can leave you luggage in the Water's Edge and there is someone there all the time :)

Good idea, Linda. I think our flight is 4.20, so by the time we have breakfast and some lunch I doubt there would be time for us to do it this time.

It's not the airline labels i was refering to, it's the coloured labels they give you on the ship to put on your bags, at least twice, when i have gone to collect my bags on the quayside, at least 1 has been in the wrong section.

Maybe they take more control in Barbados, as they are going straight to your home airport.

Ah, in the Caribbean they delivery the airline luggage labels to your cabin near the end of the cruise to attach to the cases, for when you leave them out on the last night. The next time they're seen is at your UK airport, so no having to pick them up at the quayside.

Baggers

:eek DH always moans about trolley cases as hand luggage Mind you his hand luggage, which is a small holdall, is probably bigger :rolleyes::D

Regarding the last day Jackie, it does take a bit of planning, but I always take small versions of shampoo etc, so you can use them up on the last morning and throw away or you can take them home in hand luggage if they are under 100mg.

A warning about Barbados airport - they are very strict about liquids and I had to buy a plastic bag ($1) as I had lost the one I took my stuff out in. I only had a $20 note, so that was wrong. I told them we get free bags at Gatwick! They searched my bag and took everything out. I said I would never go back there (but I did ;)) as they treated us like we were dirt. I don't know if anyone else had had this experience.

Mind you the year after that, we flew back from Jamaica and that was even worse! They made us stand in a long queue in the heat, then barked at everyone as they went through security. Everyone was compaining about it.

I only just got the trolley case because 7kg is too much to carry and if I am allowed 7kg I am going to take it! Lol. It is a nuisance because I have to sort out the things I need on the plane and put them in a separate bag which I take out when I get on the plane.

I always decant shampoo, etc into small travel bottles, but usually leave them behind so no problem there. I have a zip plastic bag for liquids which I have used loads of times. (M&S). Just bought $50 in $1 notes this morning for tips and shopping on the islands. Was lucky as TA said they don't get sent $1 notes anymore and that these were ones people had returned for £s. Getting lots of tips on here, thank you.

Never really had any rude behaviour at airports that I can remember. The staff at Newcastle always seem to be cheerful or at least try to be.

I usually only have handbag as hand luggage and DH just has small bag for iPad etc. suitcases are usually only about 17kg. We only buy fridge magnets on hols so weight is never an issue. It includes DJ for hubby and his shiny shoes!!!!

I always carry iPad, cameras, kindle and other valuables in hand luggage plus medication, sudoku, pens, warm clothes in case cold on plane, few clothes in case luggage doesn't turn up (it has happened before) so it soon fills up!

I buy keyrings instead of fridge magnets and hang them on a jewellery tree.

A good idea on the last day is to do a Thomson trip, especially if it is your only time in Barbados (7 day or transatlantic cruise). You can leave you luggage in the Water's Edge and there is someone there all the time :)

Good idea, Linda, but it sometimes depends on which flight you have whether you can do the trip. We left our luggage in the Disco on Majesty and used the courtesy cabins. There was no problem and we didn't have to wait for a cabin as, as soon as people had finished, a steward went and cleaned and replenished towels, etc.

Good idea, Linda. I think our flight is 4.20, so by the time we have breakfast and some lunch I doubt there would be time for us to do it this time.

Ours is 4.15 flight, so you will be able to tell me if we can! :):). It's also nice to be able to relax over a long breakfast, sit on a sunbed (should be plenty available) to catch some last rays, and reflect on all you have done and seen on the cruise. :).

In Corfu, while we waited, DH and I watched a TUI cruise ship practising lowering 9 lifeboats and taking them for a spin around the harbour. They were very efficient. Ours didn't even get one lifeboat into the water!! :eek:

I only just got the trolley case because 7kg is too much to carry and if I am allowed 7kg I am going to take it! Lol. It is a nuisance because I have to sort out the things I need on the plane and put them in a separate bag which I take out when I get on the plane.

I always decant shampoo, etc into small travel bottles, but usually leave them behind so no problem there. I have a zip plastic bag for liquids which I have used loads of times. (M&S). Just bought $50 in $1 notes this morning for tips and shopping on the islands. Was lucky as TA said they don't get sent $1 notes anymore and that these were ones people had returned for £s. Getting lots of tips on here, thank you.

Never really had any rude behaviour at airports that I can remember. The staff at Newcastle always seem to be cheerful or at least try to be.

I got my dollars from tesco , could get any demoniation, I got 100 dollars in 1's no problem

The trip I was thinking about is Farewell Barbados. We did a similar one on the Sea Princess. They take you to Gunn Hill, St John's Church and Sunbury Plantation House, which is excellent. There is a museum there of old cameras and things and you get a lovely lunch. If it is the same as the Princess one they then take you straight to the airport. It is only 4 hours and I think leaves about 9am, which is when you have to get out of your cabin anyway.

http://cruiseexcursions.thomson.co.uk/ExcursionResults.aspx?mode=1&portCode=000719&cruiseAreaId=89&cuirseAreaName=Caribbean

The trip I was thinking about is Farewell Barbados. We did a similar one on the Sea Princess. They take you to Gunn Hill, St John's Church and Sunbury Plantation House, which is excellent. There is a museum there of old cameras and things and you get a lovely lunch. If it is the same as the Princess one they then take you straight to the airport. It is only 4 hours and I think leaves about 9am, which is when you have to get out of your cabin anyway.

http://cruiseexcursions.thomson.co.uk/ExcursionResults.aspx?mode=1&portCode=000719&cruiseAreaId=89&cuirseAreaName=Caribbean

Thanks Linda. It is something to consider.

Ah, in the Caribbean they delivery the airline luggage labels to your cabin near the end of the cruise to attach to the cases, for when you leave them out on the last night. The next time they're seen is at your UK airport, so no having to pick them up at the quayside.

Baggers

I know that, i was just referencing that for the lables they gave you, they didn't always group them together outside, so you often had to go to other sections to find your bags, i was enquiring if they used the same tagging system (red for 1 airport, yellow for another), and if so, can you be sure they put the right bags on the right plane.

But from reading the other half of your message, it appears they send you the actual airline label, from the airport, if so, then that is better, as it will be the airport that sorts them as they do all the other cases they process each day.

Exeter Airport charge for plastic bags too! And if you don't have one, or buy one, they won't let you take your liquids (under 100ml) through.

I did question why they charge when other airports, like Gatwick and Heathrow, don't, and was met with the amswer that they have more money than Exeter!

A rubbish answer as everything is in proportion, except LGW and LHR actually spend money on new facilities and enhancing the passenger experience, unlike Exeter whose departure lounge is a 'glorified shed'.

Baggers

Manchester charge £1 for a Plastic see through bag, just take your own :p

Very strict at Barbados airport. Saw them take a girl's 50 ml. perfume that she had just purchased at duty free. Despite her protests that she was allowed to take 100 ml. liquids in plastic bag, they still took it from her. She complained to reps but they couldn't help. A lady also " lost " an expensive bottle of whisky.

I don't understand this as duty free is after you've already cleared security!

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2