Viewing QM2 Leaving Southampton

davyjones

My aunt is confined to a wheelchair and has long wanted to see a cruise liner departing from Southampton with someone on board she knows. Does anyone know where the public can view from and how wheelchair friendly the area is?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Hello. I am dragging an old thread back to life.

This summer I'm planning to spend an extra day or so on either end of a QE2 cruise to take pictures of ships sailing from Southampton. Last fall I shot QE2 sailing from Hythe pier. It was OK there, then as there weren't more than 10 of us there. Might be a problem if all the tourists show up.

This post mentions Calshot. From my pictures that looks to be the lip of land that sticks out below Fawley with a long shed and airport type control tower at the end. Road map seems to end with the view of Isle of Wright. IF I GET A CAR, CAN I GET OUT TO THE VIEW LOOKING UP TOWARD THE SOUTHAMPTON CRUISE PIERS to get my shots?

If I went to Hythe first, how long does it take to get out of there and drive down to Calshot? Can one make it without causing a traffic mess to get the next shots as the ships go by?

Another good viewing place is Weston Shore which is on the Woolston side of Southampton. That is where I always go because, if the weather is bad, I stay in the car eating ice cream. The ice cream vendor comes with the ships!

Maureen

Archived