Hello All Tequila Aficionados!!

BoomerHouston

Paying for and getting Great Tequila in PORTS!

Let's keep this simple and share some good Tequila purchases (and stories if you like) in some of the Caribbean ports that you have visited in 2013-2014!

I am traveling during Thanksgiving and looking for some bargains in the ports that I will be traveling to and (am guessing) will most likely get the best deals in Cozumel. <Our itinerary: Roatan, Belize, Cozumel>

I love the Don Julio and Cuervo La Familia but looking to expand my palate. Would anyone like to share some treasures (Tequila- 100% Blue Agave) at bargain rates? Please use the following formula to keep it reader friendly and referable to people traveling to different ports:

Port Name-name of establishment/location- shared story

Ex: Cozumel- Blue Agave Tequila Boutique/one block in on 5a Ave Sur- good selection (see- anyone can google "where to buy tequila in Cozumel"

I am looking for 2013 stories, BRANDS, and prices please; Thanks in advance!!

FYI: I am listing this in the CARNIVAL THREAD because I would like to get locations close to the Carnival owned ports in various itineraries....

-Boomer

Edited by BoomerHouston

I am a Milagro guy as far as shops in Cozumel, It is a crap shoot. Best prices I have found have tended to be in some of the little gift shops. I just start taking note of prices and then go back to where I found the best price:)

Curious, Did you find these in Playa del Carmen? Agree-Milagro Tequila Select Barrel Reserve Anejo rocks!

Thanks,

-Boomer

http://video.about.com/cocktails/Best-Tequila-Brands.htm

Edited by BoomerHouston

In Cozumel, fairly near the port there is a small round shop that sells tequila. They have the absolute best flavored tequila. I love the hibiscus and vanilla. They have about 10 different flavors which they keep cold and offer samples. I am sorry that I can not remember the name of the shop but the brand is Jamaica Infused Tequilas and it is wonderful straight up right out of the freezer.

In Cozumel, fairly near the port there is a small round shop that sells tequila. They have the absolute best flavored tequila. I love the hibiscus and vanilla. They have about 10 different flavors which they keep cold and offer samples. I am sorry that I can not remember the name of the shop but the brand is Jamaica Infused Tequilas and it is wonderful straight up right out of the freezer.

Thanks! Did you purchase from them? The reason I ask is that I have been a victim of bait and switch in past (in another port); Great sample- tasty, full flavored, and smooth finish; purchase for $40>> got home only to find something else that was equivalent to bottle of Cuervo Gold that I could have picked up for $12 at the local liquor store... blah.

-Boomer

Edited by BoomerHouston

I usually go to a major grocery store. Never seen samples there, but if you know what you want, probably your best price. According to their website, there is a Soriana in Coz. Website shows prices in pesos. They usually have a local store special; picked up a bunch of Cuervo Familia for like $12-14 bucks per litre in Puerto Vallarta. They had probably 15 cases and were pushing it pretty hard. Look in the gift box section also. Grabbed 4 bottles of Hornitos each with 2 tequila shot glasses for about $15/l.

Not big on flavored tequilas, but we did have some peach flavored at a distillery outside of Mazatlan, I thought it would be good poured over some ice cream.

I usually go to a major grocery store. Never seen samples there, but if you know what you want, probably your best price. According to their website, there is a Soriana in Coz. Website shows prices in pesos. They usually have a local store special; picked up a bunch of Cuervo Familia for like $12-14 bucks per litre in Puerto Vallarta. They had probably 15 cases and were pushing it pretty hard. Look in the gift box section also. Grabbed 4 bottles of Hornitos each with 2 tequila shot glasses for about $15/l.

Not big on flavored tequilas, but we did have some peach flavored at a distillery outside of Mazatlan, I thought it would be good poured over some ice cream.

Thanks for the info! I am not a fan of flavored either but like the SILVER or a different ANEJO. Mainly looking for a great sipping tequila with a smooth finish and willing to spend more while in Mexico than the $100 plus they are looking for here. The tequila that I was referencing was the Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia which runs $130 stateside at COSTCO liquors. Cuervo actually has about 7 brands of Tequila including 4 levels of 100% Blue Agave Tequila.

Herradura and Hornitos are also good brands and that is a bargain for a liter depending on what you are getting (reposado or anejo).

Thanks again.

-Boomer

Edited by BoomerHouston

Curious, Did you find these in Playa del Carmen? Agree-Milagro Tequila Select Barrel Reserve Anejo rocks!

Thanks,

-Boomer

http://video.about.com/cocktails/Best-Tequila-Brands.htm

No bought in just a little gift shop in Cozumel around the port I scored the one with the glass agave plant blown in the bottom of the bottle that comes in a bell jar cover. Was being sold at other duty free shops for about 60 bucks I got this one for 23 dollars!!!:D

Cava AnTigua is a locally made tequila that I purchased in Cozumel. I'm sorry I can't recall the store but we loved the blanco/silver. The almond is also a very smooth sipping but I purchased the cherry as a gift and it's awful.

Although this is not a port purchase, I thought I should let you all know, Trader Joe's sells Zapopan 100% pure agave tequila, 1 litre for $9.99.

It is an excellent tequila, I mix it for Margaritas, but the reviews are good for sipping as well.

Picked up a bottle of Farias Reposado in Cozumel in 2011 from a little store right off the main street. Not sure of the name of the place, but it was a dedicated Tequila store. They offered samples of most everything they had. The bottle I got was awesome. Smooth as silk. The bottle is shaped like a barrel and sits on a wooden stand. Can't find it anywhere else I have looked. Hoping to get back to Coz next year and get another bottle (or 12)!:D

Ok, I assume MEGA is a grocery store???? Will be on the Dream in Cozumel this April. Where is this MEGA? May run up there if its not far from the pier.

It is a VERY large grocery store. Seriously, it is LARGE.

You can buy a motorcycle there. As well as pants, fresh bread, good produce. It is a BIG STORE.

I have only purchased tequila and beer there. Pesos or a card. No dollars.

Thanks! Did you purchase from them? The reason I ask is that I have been a victim of bait and switch in past (in another port); Great sample- tasty, full flavored, and smooth finish; purchase for $40>> got home only to find something else that was equivalent to bottle of Cuervo Gold that I could have picked up for $12 at the local liquor store... blah.

-Boomer

Yes- brought back our limit and we will do the same in 2 weeks. Pour over ice and enjoy. Absolutely the same as the samples. We keep it in the freezer in the garage for immediate use.

my new favorite tequila is now sauza hacienda in the black label. it is only sold in mexico and is very smooth. i went to cozumel on the dream. when you walk through the store connected to pier which everyone has to walk through there will be many representatives giving out samples. as a lover of tequila i was drinking many of the top shelf brands why not they were free. i was going down the line drinking the $40-$50 tequilas and then i had a shot that was to me way better than patron etc. i stopped and said what was that and the rep showed me the bottle of sauza hacienda(resposado). i said how much and it was like $18-$19. i bought 2 bottles and when i got home it was just as good no bait and switch. then i realized that i made a huge mistake because i now love this tequila and it is not available in the states. i did see they do sell a version of it in california in a blue label but it is a blend and not the same 100% agave as the black label. i recently went to cancun and they sold it in the duty free when i was leaving and i grabbed some bottles. but when it is gone i will be out of luck.

065.jpg.69e3813d99685e3e156f69f6249a355d.jpg

Thanks for all the excellent responses! I will have to search out the MEGA store and check it out while others are at the beach...after a brief currency exchange.

Thanks Luddite!

I am making a brief list of your brands and will sample if possible. Keep the responses coming! I will check back after our cruise in 2 WEEKS and let you know of my purchases...

Thanks All!

-Boomer

Edited by BoomerHouston

Ok, So I Really would like to know what everyone would recommend for me. I love Patron. when its ice cold and fresh. if it sits out and gets warm and then put it back in the fridge i cant stand the taste. So with that being said. is there any great tequila that taste great that doesn't have to be cold? what about flavored? Ive never had flavored tequila. :o

Paying for and getting Great Tequila in PORTS!

<snip>

FYI: I am listing this in the CARNIVAL THREAD because I would like to get locations close to the Carnival owned ports in various itineraries....

-Boomer

Which ports would these be?

gary