Washy washy CC meet and greet

Kaboochi

Let me start by saying that I enjoy cruising CCL. But, when it comes to the cruise critic gatherings, the fail. On 2 other comparable cruise lines the meet and greet has all of the department managers in the room to speak with the CC guests. Plus, you are given a preprinted card with their phone numbers if you need their assistance.

Carnival needs to step it up a notch. Just my opinion.

I respect your opinion, but why does Carnival need to cater to those on a website where anybody can join?

Lol did I say people shouldn't meet? I don't think I did... I'm saying that people shouldn't expect the cruise line to devote a dozen or more essential staff members to such a small group of people why can't you just meet at one of the bars and be happy with that?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I see your point. I also see the other point too. I think its great that Carnival will oblige small groups like CC and such. It makes people feel special. Everyone wants to feel special and important no matter who you are. These small details and thoughts are what make loyal customers :)

I don't understand the comments regarding CCL's disinterest of CC folks. I love CCL. In my opinion, CC and anyone (regardless of the group) should receive the same as everyone else on the ship. It's a nice gesture if the cruise line offers something for that group if the group were to ask and pre-arrange.

I'm grateful that someone from our roll call has contacted John to arrange something for us. But normally I am grateful for all the little extras that CCL already does on each cruise I take.

I'm sorry to say this so harshly, but get over it or take your cruise on another line! I feel CCL has super rates and comparable amenities to the other lines.

I enjoy trying the others, but always come back to CCL because they are AFFORDABLE and I still get the great food and service!

Edited by OrlandoGirl57

FYI,

John Heald will now put together a time and place for a M&G. The CD will show up or his assistant and there will be gifts from CCLto give away. The M&G will be placed in the Fun times. All you have to do is have someone from the group email John with the ship, date and appr how many.

Dave

Im think I am cruising with John on the Sunshine Next week out of NOLA for the US Inagural sailing. I wonder if he is going to show?

I see your point. I also see the other point too. I think its great that Carnival will oblige small groups like CC and such. It makes people feel special. Everyone wants to feel special and important no matter who you are. These small details and thoughts are what make loyal customers :)

Agreed and what does it really costs to send the Cd or his asst to spend a few minutes with a large group of steady customers?

Agreed and what does it really costs to send the Cd or his asst to spend a few minutes with a large group of steady customers?

But where do you draw the line? If I have a large group and you have a large group, etc, etc. There are roughly 3,000 other guests on board besides us and our large groups. I just think it's unreasonable for people to Expect this and then get pissy when they aren't catered to.

But where do you draw the line? If I have a large group and you have a large group, etc, etc. There are roughly 3,000 other guests on board besides us and our large groups. I just think it's unreasonable for people to Expect this and then get pissy when they aren't catered to.

At the end of the day if we feel we have gotten our moneys worth we are happy and we generally feel very satisfied.

Not necessary to get free drinks at a meet and greet but a little attention from senior officers to good customers whether it was cc or any other group, would be nice but not going to complain if that doesnt happen.

BTW last month on the Liberty the CD Kirk came to our cocktail party which was a very nice thing for him to do and I told him that.

At the end of the day if we feel we have gotten our moneys worth we are happy and we generally feel very satisfied.

Not necessary to get free drinks at a meet and greet but a little attention from senior officers to good customers whether it was cc or any other group, would be nice but not going to complain if that doesnt happen.

BTW last month on the Liberty the CD Kirk came to our cocktail party which was a very nice thing for him to do and I told him that.

You definitely have the right attitude...I think it's great too if they can support, but like you stated, not a deal breaker or something that would ever upset me or make me feel like Carnival needed to "step up their game."

I just think it would be interesting to talk with them. RCCL's capt's are out and about quite a bit and found them very easy to have a conversation with.

It is interesting to talk with them. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once you've actually experienced a nice M&G, then, that is when CCL's pale in comparison. Until you've seen how it could be, you don't think it's all that important.

It's one of the tiny, small things that adds up. It's mostly the small stuff that other lines offered which made the cruises more special to us and prompted us to stop cruising CCL.

It's not just the M&G where officers are out, about and present either. I don't know how RCI is but on NCL they are around the ship all day every day speaking with passengers. It makes a difference in the cruise. Anyone has questions, comments, complaints, they are immediately handled.

This makes for a happy group of passengers, which makes for a happy crew, which translates to a good feel on the ship and a fabulous cruise.

Does it cost NCL anything?

Nope. Not a dime.

The small things mean a lot. Carnival doesn't 'owe' CC members anything...to imply that is ludicrous. The point is...with the M&Gs, the entertainment, the cool towel when you come back from port (heck, the total party on the dock when you come back from port...)

CCL doesn't owe that to anyone. BUT once you've experienced all these little extras on another line, you miss it when you go back to CCL. This isn't about entitlement...it's about the lines that go the extra mile to win people back. INSTEAD of the line that cares nothing of past guest but is constantly courting the new cruiser...or counting on the cruiser that hasn't tried another line so they have nothing to compare it to. If I ran a cruise line, I don't think I'd be satisfied knowing I drew people back because I was a 'Good bang for a buck" or because people don't want to have to drive far to a port. I personally, would rather run a line where people say, "I've tried a few, but you are the best."

That's not what CCL is looking for though. They're happy being inexpensive and minimalistic. It works for them so I guess it's all good.

Edited by halos

Once you've actually experienced a nice M&G, then, that is when CCL's pale in comparison. Until you've seen how it could be, you don't think it's all that important.

It's one of the tiny, small things that adds up. It's mostly the small stuff that other lines offered which made the cruises more special to us and prompted us to stop cruising CCL.

It's not just the M&G where officers are out, about and present either. I don't know how RCI is but on NCL they are around the ship all day every day speaking with passengers. It makes a difference in the cruise. Anyone has questions, comments, complaints, they are immediately handled.

This makes for a happy group of passengers, which makes for a happy crew, which translates to a good feel on the ship and a fabulous cruise.

Nope. Not a dime.

The small things mean a lot. Carnival doesn't 'owe' CC members anything...to imply that is ludicrous. The point is...with the M&Gs, the entertainment, the cool towel when you come back from port (heck, the total party on the dock when you come back from port...)

CCL doesn't owe that to anyone. BUT once you've experienced all these little extras on another line, you miss it when you go back to CCL. This isn't about entitlement...it's about the lines that go the extra mile to win people back. INSTEAD of the line that cares nothing of past guest but is constantly courting the new cruiser...or counting on the cruiser that hasn't tried another line so they have nothing to compare it to. If I ran a cruise line, I don't think I'd be satisfied knowing I drew people back because I was a 'Good bang for a buck" or because people don't want to have to drive far to a port. I personally, would rather run a line where people say, "I've tried a few, but you are the best."

That's not what CCL is looking for though. They're happy being inexpensive and minimalistic. It works for them so I guess it's all good.

Based on current rates not so sure it is working so well for them.

I just think it would be interesting to talk with them. RCCL's capt's are out and about quite a bit and found them very easy to have a conversation with.

I wonder if this has anything to do with their familiarity with English. Majesty of the Seas' captain, who was from Norway, had a very good command of English when I spoke to him. The three CCL skippers I've spoken to, all from Italy (as are ALL Carnival ship captains)...not so much.

OP here,

I truly enjoy sailing on CCL. It is a fun ship and I have never had a bad experience. However, they should look at the extra steps NCL takes. It is nice to meet the dept heads and the captain and to hear about their jobs at the meet and greet. I come away thinking "wow, they really care about the passengers and listen to what we have to say". They are also out and about during the cruise and are approachable. When we come back from excursions there are tents set up with wicker furniture and the officers and staff are dancing to fantastic music. Plus they hand out cold towels and i e water. The price is truly no more than CCL but their service is two steps up.

I love John H's blog. The things people ask for sometime make my jaw drop, or give me a good laugh, and sometimes make me cry when the request is sincere for a sad reason. Love JH and I am enjoying the posts.

Nope. Not a dime.

I don't know when the last time you sailed carnival was, but on EVERY SINGLE one of my cruises, I have seen the officers out and mingle with the guests (not just those with m&g privileges lol), they have ALWAYS had sail away parties when leaving ports (and still do, at least, as of last week). Carnival doesn't draw me back because of the fact they do have the best bang for the buck, but because I love their service (the other line I did try, twice, was not good. nobody should have to wait 40minutes to get their glass refilled with water for dinner) and the staff was rude.

I have talked to the officers while they are out a few times, it is interesting to talk to them, and I enjoy doing so.

We had a great meet and greet cocktail party on the Breeze Oct '13, we filled up the Liquid nightclub with 132 people signed up for the party, a few didn't show up for whatever reason but the person running the party had to turn people away the last few weeks before the cruise. For $16.68 per person for 1 1/2 hour we definitely got our moneys worth.

We had a great meet and greet cocktail party on the Breeze Oct '13, we filled up the Liquid nightclub with 132 people signed up for the party, a few didn't show up for whatever reason but the person running the party had to turn people away the last few weeks before the cruise. For $16.68 per person for 1 1/2 hour we definitely got our moneys worth.

Carnival must have realized the price was to low as they now have just about doubled it and you must pay about two months before the cruise.

From what I read, it seems Carnival could put a little more effort into M&Gs.

Honestly though, I haven't really signed up for or attended any. I enjoy meeting new people and being social. I do enjoy bumping into CC members while on my cruise, but I always forget or find myself distracted by something else.

Why? Why do you think Carnival needs to put anything into a meet and greet for some cruisers who happened to connect online before boarding? I'm just curious as to why people think that any cruise line needs to cater to a small percentage of the total number of passengers on a cruise just because they joined an online roll call. If they allow them to meet in one of the lounges, great, but why should the cruise line make any extra effort?

Why? Why do you think Carnival needs to put anything into a meet and greet for some cruisers who happened to connect online before boarding? I'm just curious as to why people think that any cruise line needs to cater to a small percentage of the total number of passengers on a cruise just because they joined an online roll call. If they allow them to meet in one of the lounges, great, but why should the cruise line make any extra effort?

Many of us will cruise multiple times per year and are good customers. Why not send over a few ships officers to say hello.

I enjoy how some people think JH is this diabolical genius who carefully picks and analyzes which letter to post for maximum effect. Sit back and read his blogs... You will get an idea of his over all intelligence... And while an enjoyable entertaining man, he's not all that calculating.

I for the life of me don't understand what goes through the minds of some of these people who are organizing m&g's. Can someone PLEASE clarify for me what being a CC Member entitles me to? Do I deserve open bars, "nibbles" champagne and open bar... SIMPLY because I found an Internet forum focused on cruising? Not exactly a candidate for mensa or anything. I'm also a member of movie forums... Does that mean if I ever visit Hollywood I should be handed back stage passes and cristal and granted an audience with jj Abrams???

And don't get me started with the outright rude tone of these emails "I had this experience on NCL John, make sure you do the right thing"

"this fee has already put sour taste in my mouth about cruising with ccl"

It's rude and completely ignorant... I would be embarrassed to be seen with these folks. Is getting to the point that I almost want to hide the fact that I'm a member... These people serve to generate an unkind stereotype for all of us. :banghead:

Wow I will get off my soapbox now.. Sorry I didn't mean to go overboard with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

The letters to John that really get me, are the "little Bobby just graduated kindergarten and we would like you to arrange for him to be recognized on stage by the Captain on stage and a tour of the bridge."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know when the last time you sailed carnival was, but on EVERY SINGLE one of my cruises, I have seen the officers out and mingle with the guests (not just those with m&g privileges lol), they have ALWAYS had sail away parties when leaving ports (and still do, at least, as of last week). Carnival doesn't draw me back because of the fact they do have the best bang for the buck, but because I love their service (the other line I did try, twice, was not good. nobody should have to wait 40minutes to get their glass refilled with water for dinner) and the staff was rude.

I have talked to the officers while they are out a few times, it is interesting to talk to them, and I enjoy doing so.

Last CCL sail was 4/12

I am not talking about sail away parties ON the ship. I am talking about crew on the dock when you get back from port. Before you even get back on the ship (you can hear the band ...the LIVE band as you walk up the dock and are greeted with a partying crew and cool towels and cold drinks) you are having fun.

CCL service is fabulous. I have never claimed otherwise..however, I have experienced even better.

I have sailed 4 lines and never had rude staff on any of them. I tend to be pretty lucky though...

, but why should the cruise line make any extra effort?

Seriously? You need an answer to that?

Edited by halos

The letters to John that really get me, are the "little Bobby just graduated kindergarten and we would like you to arrange for him to be recognized on stage by the Captain on stage and a tour of the bridge."

And without even a please or thank you.

However bobby may have graduated phi betta kappa

I remember one very similar! Little Johnny had just earned the highest level in the boy scouts, being inducted into Mensa and all by the age of 14- John could you please arrange for him to be recognized on stage (to a ship full of people who don't care) as well as arrange for him AND Myself to have dinner with the captain (well we know what Johnny did to deserve dinner with the captain, but other than pompous wind baggery what did you do?) because I'm sure it would provide the captain with a night he would never forget... (yeah because in all the years captaining a tourist vessel he's never met anyone more interesting than a 14 year old boy scout with a high IQ) :rolleyes:

That guy made me want a drink and I'm not even in JH's position.

I remember one very similar! Little Johnny had just earned the highest level in the boy scouts, being inducted into Mensa and all by the age of 14- John could you please arrange for him to be recognized on stage (to a ship full of people who don't care) as well as arrange for him AND Myself to have dinner with the captain (well we know what Johnny did to deserve dinner with the captain, but other than pompous wind baggery what did you do?) because I'm sure it would provide the captain with a night he would never forget... (yeah because in all the years captaining a tourist vessel he's never met anyone more interesting than a 14 year old boy scout with a high IQ) :rolleyes:

Well at least they said please.

We just read this on his blog a few minutes ago and were DYING with laughter. What really got me was that the father of the mensa child couldn't even spell definitely correctly, although I suppose that could be Johns interpretation of the word when he retyped it. Anyhow, I cannot believe the sense of entitlement that some people have. HILARIOUS.

I was on the Freedom of the Seas (RCL) on Sept 29th, 2013. We had over 125 show up at the meet and greet. Two people showed up from the cruise director's staff and did raffle off a couple of gifts. We all also received a notepad thingee which I gave to my niece. They had cookies, sweet rolls and coffee. However, nothing more then that.And especially nothing with names and phone numbers on them.

Last year on the CCL Dream the cruise director hosted our little group of about 30. She gave a couple bottles of champagne which we shared amongst us. She donated some drink coupons and a dinner for two in a raffle.

Let me start by saying that I enjoy cruising CCL. But, when it comes to the cruise critic gatherings, the fail. On 2 other comparable cruise lines the meet and greet has all of the department managers in the room to speak with the CC guests. Plus, you are given a preprinted card with their phone numbers if you need their assistance.

Carnival needs to step it up a notch. Just my opinion.