Hyatt - Grand Cayman - your opinion

joyinam

It's day 69 prior to our sail on Rhapsody of the Seas:) , and we will be going to Cayman for the first time. I've read great things about the Hyatt day pass on this site, and wanted to check back with you seasoned Cayman folks....is this still available, and still something you would recommend? When we take "land vacations" we often stay at Hyatt properties, so know we love their style. Shall we still plan to spend our day there? Thanks for all your great advice!

Just got back from the June 26th sailing. We did this and it was wonderful. got to say that this was my favorite island. The Hyatt was beautiful. They have their own chairs with a canopy if you get hot, resturant, bar, swimming pool, and there are places on the beach where you can rent water toys. Let me know if you have any questions!:cool:

Thanks, BamaAngel:

And, do we plan to still approach the bartender to purchase day pass? How much is it? Thanks for the "recent" review! Glad to hear you loved the island, too - our first time there. Appreciate the info.

Sorry for getting back to you so late! I've been very busy! We sailed the Conquest the 26th of June. We took a cab from port to the Hyatt which was four dollars for each person one way. But he said he would be back at a certain time and he was. The bartender at the swim up pool will take your money there. The cost was 35.00 each but they gave us a 15.00 voucher back to use at the bar, or resturant. You cannot beat this deal. The hamburger I ordered was huge! Keep plenty of small bills b/c of the difference in Grand Cayman and US currency. We got change on the ship at the pursers desk. This was a nice, clean, fancy place and I will go back again the next time i'm there. We inquired about room rates and they are anywhere from 300 to 500 a night. Nice clean beach, clean pools, very nice guy that waited on us. I think this name is Leroy? He brought the four of us ice water at no charge. There is a place right next to the hotel where you can rent snorkeling supplies. There is also a place on the beach where you can rent other things as well. I can't say enough about this place! Go, and you will have a terrific time!

Thanks for the additional information. One more question :o ...are the small bills just for tipping? I hope they take credit cards for the initial cost of day pass and the expected food / bar bill?:)

We love Hyatt properties wherever we go, so we know the quality of their facilities and service. What a special treat to be able to experience their hospitality - even for a day! This will be just the "ticket" for us, as we enjoy Grand Cayman for the first time.

I SO appreciate your information.

Just back from the Miracle the 24th. We went to the Hyatt. Loved it! No problem getting a taxi to and from. Just allow plenty of time to get back as the traffic gets pretty bad.

We brought beach towels but they give you some to use.(That way the guard stops bothering you) $35 per person with a $15 food credit. We had 11 of us but just paid for the adults-no problem. Each adult got a beach chair with canopy. My son brought his own snorkel gear and swam out to the buoys to see this fish etc..

Next door is the beach club that the ships use. CROWDED! It also looked as if they still were recovering from last years hurricane. That was probably the saddest thing I can say about the Cayman's, to see all the damage. But, still a beautiful island.

You can use the facilites and the pool also. We had a wicked storm come through while we were there and we ended up in the dining area. The staff was all very helpful.

Just let me know if you have any other questions

april f

We are cruising there in Oct. and I am trying to set our plans. We have been to Grand Cayman before and toured Hell, Turtle Farm, etc. How far from the ship is the Hyatt? How long did it take you to get back to the ship in the afternoon? What is the price of the food and drink?

thanks!

It's not more than 15 minutes away. It took over 30 to get back. Just be firm with your taxi driver as to where you want to go. We've done all the other stuff too, so we were looking for a nice relaxing beach day with a fresh water pool for the kids. You can rent jet skis,water bikes, etc. if you want to. I didn't check the prices but I think our friends said jet skis were $40 US for 1/2 hour.

We ended up getting the kids chicken fingers/fries and hot dogs.Prices were about 4-5 Cayman dollars. We got this huge hamburger and split it. I think it was about 8 CD also. I thought the grill menu was reasonably priced. Hope this helps!

We had six adults and five kids. We bought passes for the adults only, so we ended up with six chairs, but rarely used them. The pool attendant was nice enough to give towels to everyone.

I'm sure it helped that we ended up spending over our $15 credit per pass. The hotel also looked pretty empty. Most of the people there seemed to be from the Miracle or Conquest.

Archived