Renting a car near pier post cruise

Kim in CA

We will be sailing aboard the Celebrity Summit April 12 - 19, and we will be spending 2 extra days post cruise in Puerto Rico. Since we most likely will not be staying in San Juan, we plan to rent a car to get around the island and to the airport for our flight home.

Does anyone have any experience renting a car in San Juan after a cruise? I am wondering if we should take a taxi from the ship to the airport car rental counters or if we should try to find an office close to the ship.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Kim

We will be sailing aboard the Celebrity Summit April 12 - 19, and we will be spending 2 extra days post cruise in Puerto Rico. Since we most likely will not be staying in San Juan, we plan to rent a car to get around the island and to the airport for our flight home.

Does anyone have any experience renting a car in San Juan after a cruise? I am wondering if we should take a taxi from the ship to the airport car rental counters or if we should try to find an office close to the ship.

Kim

I don't know where you can rent a car, but I would hesitate to drive in San Juan. Crazy drivers, make sure you get the extra insurance. Have fun, we have wanted to get outside of San Juan several times, but just don't want to drive. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Kim

Greetings fellow cruise-traveler. I just booked a minivan for our post-cruise days. We're sailing the X Summit January 11-18. Through Priceline I was able to pick up at the Convention Center (very, very close to Pan Am Pier, literally on the same street, just opposite side, and down maybe 200 yards?) and drop off at the Airport. It is through Avis, and tomorrow I'm going to call them to see if they have a complimentary shuttle to/from the cruiseport. I will be shocked if they don't. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

I was looking into the same for after our Summit cruise 4/19-26. We r staying 1wk in PR post. I have driven in PR before but it's been about 10yrs. Even up winding mountainsides. I'm thinking of picking up rental near pier & then drop off @airport. Thx for sharing the info u found.

Greetings fellow cruise-traveler. I just booked a minivan for our post-cruise days. We're sailing the X Summit January 11-18. Through Priceline I was able to pick up at the Convention Center (very, very close to Pan Am Pier, literally on the same street, just opposite side, and down maybe 200 yards?) and drop off at the Airport. It is through Avis, and tomorrow I'm going to call them to see if they have a complimentary shuttle to/from the cruiseport. I will be shocked if they don't. Good Luck!

I would like to know if Avis has a complimentary shuttle from the pier to the Convention Center?

• 2 weeks later...

We are getting off the cruise ship (RC Adventure of Seas) the morning of 2/16. We just put in a reservation with ACE Rental (serviced by Charlie's, whatever that means). They have a free shuttle from the piers (either one) to the car pick-up area. Also when you return the car, apparently they will give you a free shuttle either back to the cruise terminal or to the airport.

We're renting the car to drive to Fajardo. Staying at El Conquistador for a couple days post-cruise. Wanted to see the rainforest and the biobay. Driving ourselves back to San Juan 2/18 and dropping off the car (I think) at the airport, but I guess we'll get drop-off instructions when we do the pick-up. Whichever.

The price was pretty reasonable, in my opinion. Reservation is for a 4-door Toyota Corolla, automatic, A/C, 3 days rental, $110 total including the easy pay device and all quoted fees. We're happy with that.