Need Advice If You've Ever Gone On Ncl Majesty Solo!

SerenadingSarah

Hi, everyone! I'm thinking of booking the NCL Majesty out of Boston to Bermuda. I've actually done this itinerary before, just never by myself. Any suggestions or advice from any of you single travelling vets out there???

Anything would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Sarah

Hi, everyone! I'm thinking of booking the NCL Majesty out of Boston to Bermuda. I've actually done this itinerary before, just never by myself. Any suggestions or advice from any of you single travelling vets out there???

Anything would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah,

I have not done Majesty solo but have sailed solo many times. On NCL, I soloed on Dream and Sun (3x). I was on Majesty before NCL bought her.

I am not sure what kids of advice you are looking for.

I am not a big fan of Freestyle when sailing single. I like having table mates to join for dinner. I found that I avoided the main dining room most dinners and had dinner in the alternate restaurants. When I entered the DR solo I was asked whether I would like to share a table. I always said yes but a few time - yes, this is true - I was taken to a table where the people there said no when asked when it was ok for me to be seated with me. It was a bit uncomfortable and a little embarrassing. It was one of the few times I felt awkward dining as a solo cruiser.

Otherwise, I had fun. The staff aboard the Sun especially was very social and went out of their way when they saw I was solo to include in some things (like a lip sync contest which is sooooo not my style!) But I had fun overall.

In the ports, I did what I always do. Wander around or find a beach. Or, in Alaska, I researched excursions before hand and booked mine independently.

I do like sailing solo but I have had a better time overall on RCI.

Sarah,

When I entered the DR solo I was asked whether I would like to share a table. I always said yes but a few time - yes, this is true - I was taken to a table where the people there said no when asked when it was ok for me to be seated with me. It was a bit uncomfortable and a little embarrassing. It was one of the few times I felt awkward dining as a solo cruiser.

Seems to me that the matre de should have asked those people if they wanted to dine with people BEFORE you arrived instead of putting you in such an uncomfortable position. Although I've never sailed solo with NCL I would think that Freestyle would be ammenable (sp?) to solos as every night you get to eat with new people.

Enjoy your cruise. BTW did you get a great solo price? I'd love to go to Bermuda but none of my sibs can go this year so it would be either solo or not at all.

Hi, Auntie!

I got what I thought was an awesome deal - $860. yeah, the only thing that really makes me nervous about sailing alone is mealtimes..I'm used to doing all kinds of other things by myself....shows and excursions, but dining? I'd prefer to do with others. I'll just have to put on my brave face and go right out the first night and try to sit with a big group or something. But, it was either sail alone or not at all....I got tired of waiting for one of my girlfriends to get some vacation time...know what I mean? I'm going 9-25. Feel like bookin'? :-)

-Sarah

Would love to but too close to quarter end and my boss might have a fit :D He's having a fit that I'm out this week because he's having to deal with the auditors :p

Have you checked to see if there is a roll call for that date. Might make it easier if you "meet" some people here so you've established a link. Enjoy your trip!

Seems to me that the matre de should have asked those people if they wanted to dine with people BEFORE you arrived instead of putting you in such an uncomfortable position. Although I've never sailed solo with NCL I would think that Freestyle would be ammenable (sp?) to solos as every night you get to eat with new people.

Enjoy your cruise. BTW did you get a great solo price? I'd love to go to Bermuda but none of my sibs can go this year so it would be either solo or not at all.

I think it is because they were sitting at a table to share (you are asked that when you come into the dining room) so the maitre d had already established that and then they saw me and decided that a single woman was not what they were hoping for. I have had this happen a few times and it is always the wife than says no. I am no young hottie either but I dress for dinner and am attractive and outgoing. I have heard from other single ladies travelling solo that they have also been snubbed in the same manner.

There was a sushi bar onboard and I had dinner there twice and both times the Captain and I were the only ones there. He was quite charming and it was fun. There was also a tapas bar and when I was in the mood for something light I had dinner there. Live music and wine and I was good to go!

I am sure, Sarah, you will have a great time. You got a great deal and I agree, you cannot spend your life waiting for other people. I love to travel and have had a lot of fun sailing solo and sailing with friends and family.

Enjoy and let us know how it goes!

Auntie, that was so sweet, thanks! I've chatted with a few of these people in the past few days....they seem nice. You have been so helpful and supportive (you, too Caviargal, thanks!!) and I really appreciate it. Wish you girls could join me!!!!!!!!!! Maybe some other time. Let's keep in touch.

-Sarah

P.S. I'm "Auntie", too....brand-new for only 8 months now and it's THE BEST!

P.S. I'm "Auntie", too....brand-new for only 8 months now and it's THE BEST!

I have 4 nephews, 7 nieces and 3 great nephews, the youngest 8 months old. It never gets "old" Enjoy!

BTW I'm only 41 but come from a large and fertile family (except for me :D )

I go for the cruise. If I meet someone, great, if not, I'm going to have a good time anyway. I have traveled solo three times. I have never had trouble making firends. Even with freestyle, I have never dined alone. BTW: Male, Single, 38. Maybe women do have a tougher time. :confused: If you meet some folks you hit it off with, you are always free to arrange to dine together with the "Anytime Dining" or "Freestyle" dining options. If you participate in any or many of the activites on board or in port, you are sure to decrease your chances of eating alone.

I had some fun on NCL last summer. On the last night of the cruise, I was invited to join some friends I had met for a toast in their cabin. As a result, I was late arriving in the dining room. I showed up at the entrance and stated that I was a party of 1. After a short delay, I was taken to a table. First I was asked if I wanted to share a table. YES I said. The nit wit seating me then showed me to a table for two. :eek: NO WAY! That would virtually guarantee that I would dine alone. I asked what was wrong with the empty table for four adjacent to it. So...I got the table for four. A minute or two later, I saw the host leading the two women I had seen arrive at the door behind me to a table. He led them to the table for two I had first been offered. One of them protested and asked why they couldn't sit with me. :cool: We had a wonderful dinner. Only drawback...They were both married.

If someone refuses you...HEY...THEIR loss. Move on to someone better. Don't let their problems or insecurities ruin your fun.

WRT the 25th...I am getting on another boat on the Left Coast. :)

Good Luck.

Archived