Hawaii - Where to see an active volcano with lava?

hamlettm

We are going on a cruise to all the islands, what's the best place to see an active volcano or lava coming out?

Madame Pele keeps that a secret & if you're lucky it will be viewable at the Big Island's Volcanoes National Park. http://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

Even if it's flowing it's rarely viewable except from the air. On our last visit lava was flowing into the ocean near Kalapana however there was a hazardous sulphuric cloud blowing our way & they kept us over a mile away. For safety reasons many of the flows are blocked from access on foot.

Princess does not cruise past lava flows but seem to recall that NCL's POA may do it at night when lava is flowing at VNP.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Madame Pele keeps that a secret & if you're lucky it will be viewable at the Big Island's Volcanoes National Park. http://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

Even if it's flowing it's rarely viewable except from the air. On our last visit lava was flowing into the ocean near Kalapana however there was a hazardous sulphuric cloud blowing our way & they kept us over a mile away. For safety reasons many of the flows are blocked from access on foot.

Princess does not cruise past lava flows but seem to recall that NCL's POA may do it at night when lava is flowing at VNP.

We will be on the Norwegian cruise line, how can we find out for sure if we go by flowing lava? We leave in 13 days. THANKS!

We will be on the Norwegian cruise line, how can we find out for sure if we go by flowing lava? We leave in 13 days. THANKS!

Only 13 more days until your cruise...I'm jealous. Although we'll be at our little Maui "hale" while you're cruising so I can't complain! ;)

I'd call NCL & also post a question on the NCL board to see if anyone has any suggestions or experiences. I believe that the VNP site tracks any current flows which can change by the minute.

We have photos of many things that existed decades ago that are no longer there & replaced by new land the lava created. It's amazing to see things created & hopefully you'll get to experience it. :)

The only active volcano is on the Big Island. Unfortunately, the lava flowing into the ocean stopped more than a month ago and there's no lava flow on the coastal plains either. If there is lava to be viewed, it would have to be from a helicopter - unless the situation changes again within the next couple of weeks. (Just a note that you can see the glow from the lava that's in the Halema`uma`u crater from the Jaggar Museum overlook in VNP ... but only after dark. In the daytime all you can see are the clouds of gas that spew out.)

Edited by Susan-M

You will want to head to Volcanoes National Park when you stop in Hilo. Right now, I don't believe there is any flowing lava to be seen. I haven't seen the POA do the nighttime cruise by the lava flow in the past few weeks. There is no glowing red lava to be seen now. But, of course, that could change at any moment.

However, you will want to head up to the park. You will see the steam clouds rising from the crater and you will be able to see and explore the lava flows of years gone by. The Jagger Museum has great videos and displays of the various eruptions of Kilauea. This is still an awesome experience. No matter how many times I drive up there, I never get tired of it. Have fun!

Absolutely agree with Kapoho2 - a visit to VNP is spectacular. I would plan to spend the whole day there and take in as much as you can. I was going to mention that in my post above, but I noticed that you had started a new thread about activities from Hilo, including a visit to VNP, so I assumed that it was on your list anyways. Enjoy!