Bringing liquor on board from ports?

kbarnum

I understand DCL has a bring what you can carry policy for booze upon embarkation. My question is does this apply for ports too? I was thinking it would be both easier and less expensive to hit the first cruise port to stock up for the rest of the trip. Any advice?:cool:

Yes, you can bring back alcohol from ports of call that allow you to take it from the port (most ports allow you to). But be advised, anything you don't consume on the ship has to be declared when you return to your home port in the US. And the US limits you to 1 liter per person without a tariff.

For Example, here's Nassau's requirements and how Customs will look at it:

- 1 liter is the exemption (either from ship or Nassau)

- 2nd liter is exempt if purchased and produced in the Bahamas (Nassau Royal, Local Specialty Rums)

- The allowance is per person over 21 years of age

- If the liquor is purchased at a port of call then it can be brought back to the stateroom

Edited by telynch25

There's several liquor stores in Nassau right at the port. Be careful and watch the prices, the closer they are to the ship, the more expensive they are. I'd recommend you walk down Bay Street heading towards the Straw Mart, you'll find quite a few liquor stores. If you're looking for the best price, walk in a few (they're all within a 2-3 block walking distance) and find the one you're comfortable with shopping at.

As far as wine goes, same rules apply as spirits. 1 liter can be brought back in to the states.. But if you bring 5 back on the ship and drink 4... you're a-okay.

Edited by telynch25

Perfect! We are wine-o's anyway.. I try to get a couple of bottles for guests and holidays but love our wine, which is difficult to carry. I will bring a one night supply and stock up in Nassau. Not a whole lot to do there anyway! Thank you again!

Also remember that DCL will not accept deliveries from local stores for guests even though the store may offer that service. You will need to bring the items on board yourself and carry them to your stateroom.

And if you bring on liquor from the US, you might want to also bring the receipt. If you can prove that you bought it in the US, it won't count against your Customs allowance. Of course if you consume all of it, there's not need for a receipt!

Also remember that DCL will not accept deliveries from local stores for guests even though the store may offer that service. You will need to bring the items on board yourself and carry them to your stateroom.

This is especially important if you're doing a Western Caribbean where your first port is Grand Cayman - they ship their liquor to the ships and since DCL won't accept the delivery, it's very, very difficult to purchase liquor there to take with you back to the ship.

It would mean no "brought on board liquor" until you reach Costa Maya which isn't until 1pm on day 4 of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

As I understand it, the duty on wine brought into the US over your limit is so low, that they often won't even bother calculating it and will often just wave you through. I've done this before and declared three or four bottles of wine and they didn't even care. YMMV.

DH and I were 11 liters over our duty free allowance on our last cruise. We were fully prepared to pay the duty but the customs agent just chuckled and waved us through.

No, we are not big drinkers. In fact, about half of it is still unopened 6 months later but the prices were just that good :D

It really depends on the CBP agent and location. I've found the agents in Miami are much stricter then the ones at Port Canaveral. And there's a little old lady at Port Canaveral that loves her calculator. If you get directed in her line avoid the discussion because she loves to calculate tariffs. Kinda crazy the various types of agents you come across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have come through Port Canaveral and at least four airports plus two Canadian crossing points by car with a dozen or more bottles of wine, and have never been assessed the duty. Even if I was, it's so low that it's not worth worrying about.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...