Would Belize be a good "on your own" place?

marylp

Just my opinion, but I would lean more towards No.

We have rented cars in MANY places and gone out on our own. When we were in Belize we were very happy we found a tour guide after we got out of the gated area.

We loved our time in Belize, but I think that would have been different if we would have chosen to explore outside the gates on our own.

I don't think you HAVE to book a cruise line sponsored excursion. But I definitely would ONLY book with a reputable local company or tour group at this port and would NOT "go it alone". I mean it is not a "get off the ship and wing it ... maybe walk around outside the port & hail a cab and see where we end up" kind of a port. The reading I did (and the tour guide I had in Jan 2013) indicates it is NOT a terribly safe place to be. :) So, common sense and safety in numbers:D

We actually enjoyed staying in Mobay on our own by Doctor's Cave for a week when we used it as a base for traveling to Negril and Ocho Rios but we avoided downtown MoBay.

Our only cruise to Belize we took a snorkeling excursion directly from the ship to Goff's Caye (beautiful little spit) and then lunched in the harbor. We're returning in February on a cruise and have not figured out what to do either. We would save the cave tubing and zip lining for when we return for a longer stay perhaps, and we're not really snorkelers. But we enjoy beaches and cat sails. That limits our options but any ideas would be appreciated!