Mongolian Wok specifics

pamrose228

Thanks. Wasn't sure. I know Thai can be spicy sometimes too! I hope it is mild enough for me. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

To me, the Thai Barbecue is somewhat spicy. I've found my favorite combo to be 1/2 Black Bean, 1/2 Thai Barbecue.

I'm pretty sure if I tried the Szechuan, my mouth would become a fire hazard. :eek::D

Asian type veggies (bok choy, bean sprouts, chinese cabbage, waterchestnuts, bamboo shoots) do they offer these or the usual broccoli, carrots, peppers, peas and corn only?

TIA

My experience is on the Dream....Yes to bok choy, bean sprouts (one of my favorites), cabbage (another favorite), snow peas as well as the usual veggies of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peppers (red & yellow, can't remember about green), peas, corn, and onions. However, they don't offer all of the veggies every day. There are days when bean sprouts nor snow peas were offered.

There are usually 3 proteins on the Dream....chicken, beef, shrimp, pork, calamari, and mussels. I'm pretty sure chicken was offered every time I've went to the Mongolian Wok.

And last but not least...two types of noodles.

I really could go for some Mongolian Wok right now. :D

Edited by Happy0810

To me, the Thai Barbecue is somewhat spicy. I've found my favorite combo to be 1/2 Black Bean, 1/2 Thai Barbecue.

I'm pretty sure if I tried the Szechuan, my mouth would become a fire hazard. :eek::D

That sounds like a good idea. Do the black bean and this sauces go together- flavor wise?

That sounds like a good idea. Do the black bean and this sauces go together- flavor wise?

I think so. I've had just the Black Bean and just the Thai Barbecue. The combo balances out the "too bland" taste of Black Bean and the "a little too spicy" taste of Thai Barbecue. Of course, that's only my opinion and someone else may very well say "gag". :eek:

Edited by Happy0810

It sounds great....lots of veggie choices.......what are the two noodle types?

I am looking to stay clear of salty sauces so I will probably do it plain with some water.

I would describe the noodles as a heavier lo mein type and a "glass" noodle.

Not the best descriptions - hope that helps. :/

We have found that the Mongolia Grill gets CRAZY busy as the week goes one. I think it's because more people figure out that its there and how it works. :o

So....if it is a "must do" for you - I would suggest doing it early in the week or for lunch during aport day when then are less crazy. There will still be a wait just because of the way it works - but going on a off time (not right at noon) and early in the week to work best! ;)

I would describe the noodles as a heavier lo mein type and a "glass" noodle.

Not the best descriptions - hope that helps. :/

Sounds like one is a wheat noodle and the other is a rice one.

Just off the Liberty Saturday. The options were:

Meat

Chicken

Beef

Seafood

Noodles

Lo Mein

Rice Noodles

Veggies

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Carrots

Onions

Corn

Zucchini

Yellow Squash

Peppers

Sauces

BBQ

Black Bean

Spicy Schezuan

Looks good, but never had the patience to wait in line for it. I hate lines and avoid them when I can. Waiting to board the ship is the worst, once on board, besides the Wok, never a line to deal with, at most 4-6 folks in front of me at the buffet...that I can deal with. A slight wait to get off the ship at port has happened once or twice as well.

Am amazed, one ship, that many folks, that I don't see lines that often, then again, I don't do shows, mdr, spa etc...

I have never seen them on any cruise that I have been on that has the Mongolian Wok

I guess its a Conquest class thing ,that's usually what we cruise

We learn something everyday :)

Last year on the Fascination the choices were beef, chicken, pork and mussels on a couple of days. Never saw calamari or other protein. I also saw mussels on the Paradise in 2011.

The mongolian wok is great. The food is pretty authentic and cooked to ordr, pretty quickly. When I went on the sensation a few weeks ago, they had a rotating selection of shrimp, beef, chicken and pork iirc. The sauces were thai bbq, szechuan and black bean. I got the shrimp with szechuan and noodles, which they stir fry along with the meat and sauce at a very high temperature in the wok. You can include corn, snow peas, bean sprouts, etc when you are waiting in line and they will cook whatever you hand them. I talked about it a bit in my sensation trip review (link in my sig) and I thought the szechuan with shrimp was the best and probably spiciest of all. It is all about personal tastes though.

FlyingCruiserNJ

Do they ever have tofu as a protein? It would certainly make sense since it's Asian inspired and they eat a ton of it. I'm thinking they don't because it might not appeal to the masses, but being authentic wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing!

Anyone?

Laura

you can ask for tufu, but they don't usually offer it. You can also let them know before you set sail of any dietary needs and they will make sure they have it on your cruise. I have asked for veggie burgers before, but they don't advertise it, i just asked and they had it. Worth a try.

My experience is on the Dream....Yes to bok choy, bean sprouts (one of my favorites), cabbage (another favorite), snow peas as well as the usual veggies of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peppers (red & yellow, can't remember about green), peas, corn, and onions. However, they don't offer all of the veggies every day. There are days when bean sprouts nor snow peas were offered.

There are usually 3 proteins on the Dream....chicken, beef, shrimp, pork, calamari, and mussels. I'm pretty sure chicken was offered every time I've went to the Mongolian Wok.

And last but not least...two types of noodles.

I really could go for some Mongolian Wok right now. :D

Not every day for the two types of noodles. They usually had the large noodles one day and the vermicelli, not usually both. Both are good though. I actually had to make some rice vermicelli noodles and thai bbq chicken last week because I liked what I got on the ship and wanted to duplicate it. It wasn't as good though. :rolleyes:

Not every day for the two types of noodles. They usually had the large noodles one day and the vermicelli, not usually both. Both are good though. I actually had to make some rice vermicelli noodles and thai bbq chicken last week because I liked what I got on the ship and wanted to duplicate it. It wasn't as good though. :rolleyes:

I have always seen both types of noodles available every time I have ever been to the Wok (which is a lot lol). I always get some of each type. Never seen them only have one kind unless they have temporarily run out of one or the other.