Luggage check in?

champion6

We are driving to Ft. Lauderdale and will have our luggage with us when we arrive to check in for our cruise. When we finish the check in process, do we keep our luggage to take to our stateroom ourselves or does Hal take the luggage at check in and have someone else deliver it to our stateroom? It really doesn't matter that much, but if I have the option, I'd rather take our luggage to our stateroom ourselves.

Thanks in advance for any info.

You can only take it to your room yourself if it fits through the scanner. On one cruise we saw a woman try to take a 30" suitcase herself and it jammed in the scanner, making a lot of people very irate for about 20 minutes!! :eek:

Most people that drive to the port drop their large bags with a porter at the curb before going to park.

Edited by jtl513

We check our large bags - a 28" and a 22" - at the curb at the port.

We only have clothes and shoes in them.

DH pulls up and drops the luggage and I off then goes to park the car - not necessary but it works for us.

In tote bag sized roll-ons we pack our valuables (what few we might bring on a cruise) as well as meds, toiletries, 2 bottles of wine :), and a change of clothes that we roll onto the ship ourselves.

We are driving to Ft. Lauderdale and will have our luggage with us when we arrive to check in for our cruise. When we finish the check in process, do we keep our luggage to take to our stateroom ourselves or does Hal take the luggage at check in and have someone else deliver it to our stateroom? It really doesn't matter that much, but if I have the option, I'd rather take our luggage to our stateroom ourselves.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Your luggage will not accompany you to check-in unless you have a burning desire to take it with you.

When you get out of the vehicle that takes you to the HAL terminal, porters will be waiting to take your luggage, except carry-on bags. You will not see your luggage again until it is delivered to your stateroom. Make sure you keep your valuables with you in your carry-on bags.

You will then stand in line for a few minutes before you enter the terminal doors and from there will be directed through security where you will empty your pockets. Everything else stays packed in your carry-on.

From Security, you will directed to the check-in area where you will have your photo taken, receive your room card, and a boarding number. When your group number is called, you follow the crowd to the ship and to your cabin. You luggage should arrive within an hour of your boarding but you need not remain in your cabin to receive it. The Room Stewards will move it into your room.

Thanks for the info, everyone. Crew News, great description of the check-in process that is much appreciated. I have no problem with our big luggage 'going with the flow' of HAL check-in..... it's good to know the process, tho. I will definitely be sure all valuables, meds and important papers, visa, etc. stay in our carry-ons with us.

Again, thanks everyone for enlightening me. Your posts were most helpful.

Maggie