Arashi Beach experience, June 28

70sGringo

This is a repost from another thread. I wanted to highlight it because I want to share a truly great outing...

We were on the June 26 sailing of Adventure of the Seas. That put us in Aruba on June 28.

The bus ride to Arashi beach was by far the "deal of the week" on this cruise. $2pp roundtrip! Every other island revolves around getting a taxi and the least I paid to go to a beach was $20 each way for three people to get to Jan Thiel beach on Curacao.

The large bus terminal is a short walk across the main road, opposite the cruise ship pier (resist the aggressive taxi drivers and tour operators; get ready to politely say "no, thank you" at least ten times). There is a large message board that posts the bus schedules. We rode "10A" which is the only one which gets you all the way to Arashi. There are other "10_" buses, but don't go as far. One goes to Malmok and I believe the other "10_" bus goes the high-rise hotel district at Palm beach.

Arashi has no amenities except palm frond-covered shade structures. The beach is outstanding and the snorkeling is above average, though. I found the best snorkeling to the right (as you look out to the water). If you don't see good, healthy coral, swim more to the right and further out. The best reef experience I got was probably at least 150 yards out and straight out from the California lighthouse. We spent a good four hours and only saw one or two other people get out to where I made three good trips. Most of the snorkelers really miss ALOT by not getting to the good healthy coral. Having said that, don't swim beyond your abilities. Swim with a partner. I would rate myself as an experienced snorkeler and good swimmer.

The day we were there, the wind and current took us out, with very little need to swim hard. The trick is to save the energy for the swim back to shore. A good pair of fins and using your arms is more than enough to overcome the wind and current for the swim back. Don't forget to take a waterproof camera. Disposables are easy to come by (at home before you leave or in port). Please be aware that these coral reefs are fragile. Don't touch them, swipe them with fins or stand on them. It is easy to see, from the amount of coral rubble, that these reefs have been in better shape in years past. Is it hurricanes, or human pressure or a combination? :confused:

The bus back to town shows up five minutes before each hour. Be sure you are in the parking lot and the bus driver sees you flag him down. I spotted the hourly bus a couple of times while we were on the beach. If they don't see anyone to pick up, it appears that they quickly wheel around the parking lot and are gone in an instant.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

Archived