Temporary ID w/ Expired DL

amc80

Ugh. We cruise on Sunday. Without giving you all of the boring details, my MIL just informed me she has a temporary (paper) ID and is awaiting her new DL in the mail. She also has her voided, expired DL. Obviously, no passport, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm going to call CCL as soon as I'm off work, but does anyone know if this will be an issue? She has no other gov't photo ID. The temp ID says it is to be used in conjunction with the expired DL. Any thoughts?

I called Carnival. The lady said that "ID" doesn't mean it can't be a temporary printed ID. She said she *should* be fine but it will be determined at the port. Super. I love trusting what Carnival says.

I thought the "ID" had to be a government issued picture ID. Most temp ID's I have seen have not included a picture. Does this one?

I don't think the expired one will help at all. Border protection usually considers expired to mean of no value. You might check with BP and get their answer as well.

Edited by RDC1

I called Carnival. The lady said that "ID" doesn't mean it can't be a temporary printed ID. She said she *should* be fine but it will be determined at the port. Super. I love trusting what Carnival says.

I think this is because Carnival is not the ones that make the decision where the documentation is correct. It is the judgement/determination of the agents at the port. Good luck!

Any way to expedite or go to the main license bureau to get a valid photo ID? If not, me personally I would gather all of the docs I could get my hands on and high-tail it to the closest passport office and get one issued that day.

The CBP web site does not address the issue. Only that a government issued picture ID is required. Clearly the temp ID is not sufficient nor is the expired ID.

The saving grace might be the line that says that the temp DL is used in conjunction with the expired DL but that may just apply to driving rights.

Here in Missouri you don't get you're ID same day anymore. My neice is TSA and they take the paper id with photo on it and expired license so I would hope customs would do the same. Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

Huge difference between TSA and CBP.

The temp ID says it is to be used in conjunction with the expired DL.

If she presents both then I believe she will be fine, but of course this will be determined by the person at the port checking her in. I would make sure to ask for a supervisor if they do make an issue of it. Any chance the renewal will come in the mail prior to departure? I'll keep my fingers crossed for that.

What about ports, when she gets off the ship and needs to get back on, they check your sign and sail and a picture ID. I guess if she takes the expired, they probably don't check dates just the picture. Good luck hope it all works out for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Here is NC, you also don't get your ID/DL via "same day" service. You go in and then it is mailed to you. So, at least is seems that practice is not a "unique" case, and threfore I can only assume that the agents have seen this before.

Luckily though, (again here in NC), the mailed license arrived in just a couple of days.. hopefully hers will also!