Nassau: opting out of getting off ship?

butterbread

Has anyone done this? I'm happy with a day at Castaway but really, nothing is calling my name in terms of dragging around our 3 kids + two grandparents at Nassau. I'm leaning towards just staying on Magic and enjoying the boat less populated.

Thoughts? Or is there something that is super duper that we would be missing out on? We aren't big Atlantis fans, in that we don't feel the need to tour that. Also, are there areas of Magic that won't be operating on port days?

:)

Has anyone done this? I'm happy with a day at Castaway but really, nothing is calling my name in terms of dragging around our 3 kids + two grandparents at Nassau. I'm leaning towards just staying on Magic and enjoying the boat less populated.

Thoughts? Or is there something that is super duper that we would be missing out on? We aren't big Atlantis fans, in that we don't feel the need to tour that. Also, are there areas of Magic that won't be operating on port days?

Yep, just got back from a 3 night Dream cruise and only got off in Nassau long enough to find a place with wifi to use Skype on my tablet and call a sick family member. I haven't found Nassau has much to offer other than a high crime rate, so we enjoyed the Rain Forest Spa heated loungers and whirlpools, the Aqua Duck, and a movie on board...oh, and of course, the food (and beer we were allowed to carry on and bring in our stateroom). We have our own snorkeling gear and waited until the next day at Castaway Cay to enjoy the beach and snorkeling opportunities.

agreed, with kids, stay on the ship. Atlantis is beautiful, especially if you are a fan of Dale Chihuly glass sculptures, there are several. The underground aquarium was fun too. But all in all, not worth the cost with a family in tow.

we're leaving Sunday on the Dream. Nassau day will be my Rainforest day.

No one forces you to get off the ship. :D

The only thing I'm aware of that wouldn't be going on is on board shopping as the stores are required to be closed when the ship is in port.

(That said, I wouldn't count on a totally empty ship. Sure a lot of people will, but I know this summer there were a LOT on the Dream who opted not to disembark in Nassau.)

Have you taken the kids to the Ardastra Gardens "marching flamingos" show?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d148528-Reviews-Ardastra_Gardens_Zoo_and_Conservation_Center-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

Here's 3.5 min video clip

Not an expensive taxi ride. :)

Edited by jtl513

We got off for about 15 minutes and then got right back on. Should we ever port in Nassau again we'll sleep in, have a late breakfast, and lounge by the adult pool all day.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

We got off for about 15 minutes and then got right back on. Should we ever port in Nassau again we'll sleep in, have a late breakfast, and lounge by the adult pool all day.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

There isn't much to do immediately within walking of the ship unless you book a tour. In that case, staying on board is probably best. We like to hit the straw market for Disney embroidered straw bags and island made souvenirs, and we like to stop by Tortuga for rum cakes. Otherwise, if you aren't going to book something, it's probably best to stay on board. You could walk to Junkanoo if you want a public beach. On the other hand, there are incredible things to do at Nassau. Our sea lion hugs and kisses and tricks encounter was a once in a lifetime excursion! We are going back to Blue Lagoon in May. We have done wonderful catamaran snorkels and Stuart Cove has incredible snorkeling around the reefs specializing in sharks. There is a ton to 'sea' at Nassau if you want to. Its quickly becoming one of my favorite ports!

OK, I avoid cruises that go to Nassau. And if I do choose to cruise to one which stops there, I have a lovely day on the ship. It won't be "empty" by any means, but it will be much less crowded. Enjoy! And there are sometimes spa specials, etc. on port days. The only negative is that the shops are closed. However, Guest Services keeps a small supply of "critical need" items like tylenol, ibuprofen, girl stuff, etc.

There are out islands that offer some pretty cool excursions if desired.

Some you don't even have to leave the dock. You board another vessel located within the secured port/dock.

The problem with the majority theory is, everyone follows it. IOW, everyone is still aboard during the port visit in Nassau. So the ship is not as empty as one would suspect.

JMO

Enjoy Nassau if possible. ;)

Edited by bear3412

There are out islands that offer some pretty cool excursions if desired.

Some you don't even have to leave the dock. You board another vessel located within the secured port/dock.

The problem with the majority theory is, everyone follows it. IOW, everyone is still aboard during the port visit in Nassau. So the ship is not as empty as one would suspect.

JMO

Enjoy Nassau if possible. ;)

Indeed. This ferry picks you right up at the cruise pier and takes you right here.

homepage_header.jpg

Most ports are kinda yucky immediately close to the cruise ships. That's kinda like landing at an airport and saying "This city is lousy, I'm staying inside the airport and flying out." That may be true, except I'm sure the city had a WHOLE lot to offer besides just the airport and immediate area...

Interesting..I've been debating this myself the last few days. Its just my DH and myself. I was thinking senor frogs maybe but other than that I said "Im already hating Nassau"

If you are without kids, I would take a jitney to Sandals in a heartbeat. We did this in March and it was a fantastic lovely day. A day pass is $110/pp but includes restaurants, alcohol, use of pools, boat to offshore island w/ pools, restaurants, hot tub.

Jitney was easy and cheap.

Indeed. This ferry picks you right up at the cruise pier and takes you right here.

homepage_header.jpg

Most ports are kinda yucky immediately close to the cruise ships. That's kinda like landing at an airport and saying "This city is lousy, I'm staying inside the airport and flying out." That may be true, except I'm sure the city had a WHOLE lot to offer besides just the airport and immediate area...

Then you must NEVER have been to Newark Liberty Airport! :eek:

OK couple of questions. I was thinking of doing the Blue Lagoon w/ my DH and myself, BUT I had read that the waters are shallow (waist deep) and others were great so I canceled that trip. I was going to go to the Atlantis as my friend and her DH were going to be there on a company trip (two birds one stone kinda thing) but then we realized she leaves the day before:( So I figured 5 hours (after bus trip there and back to the pier) $340 was to much to pay.

Sandals...huh...how far from their pier? We are in port from 7am-330. Stupid times and its a busy port day 7 ships in port so we need plenty of time to get back. Good thing this trip was free (disney points) because Im already missing the Caribbean!

There is a big reef at Blue Lagoon. The lagoon side is zero entry to waist deep and suitable for families and people who want to chill. The more adventurous folks can climb over the rocks and head out to sea... As deep as you like... So I wonder where people get information....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app