Allegrissimo package - how is wine w/dinner handled?

tbmrt

How is wine w/dinner using Allegrissimo handled? Does waiter pour by the glass after you show your card?

Do we have a choice of wine categories, i.e., cabernet, chardonnay, chablis, merlot OR just"red or white"....If that's the case, does anyone know what type red or white they serve?

Not fussy about having expensive wines...just really dislike certain types, like zinfindel.

Thanks

Barbara

We did not drink wine at dinner when we were on the Fantasia last summer but I remember that they did serve our table mates by serving from bottles. I am unsure what drink package they had. In any case, the Allegrissimo lets you choose from 3 or four reds, a couple of whites and a sparkling wine if I recall correctly.

We had the Allegrissimo and ordered soft drinks, bottled water, and whiskey at dinner with no problem.

How is wine w/dinner using Allegrissimo handled? Does waiter pour by the glass after you show your card?

Do we have a choice of wine categories, i.e., cabernet, chardonnay, chablis, merlot OR just"red or white"....If that's the case, does anyone know what type red or white they serve?

Not fussy about having expensive wines...just really dislike certain types, like zinfindel.

Thanks

Barbara

Included in Allegrissimo there are two reds, two whites and one rose to choose from. The reds were 'Montepulciano' and 'Merlot', the latter being almost tasteless and the former just passable. I can't remember now what the whites were but I did mention them in the blogs (linked to in my signature) if you care to trawl through them. I don't drink white wine but I was told that one of the whites was like a reasonable Chardonnay. Note that none of the wines included in Allegrissimo are available commercially. These are MSC-only wines and frankly could be anything.

At dinner, on the first night you can show your cruise card with the vital Allegrissimo code on it and order whichever wines your want. On subsequent nights, the bottles will be kept nearby (only occasionally have I seen them left on the table) and your card will be taken when you are ready to leave. A chit is duly produced with the damage on it for you to sign and copy given to retain (or throw away).

Glasses are liberally refilled. This is because, contrary to popular belief, the waiting staff receive the same percentage gratuity per drink on Allegrissimo drinks as they would from per-drink paying guests. Allegrissimo guests are therefore perfect for them to keep well-lubricated at all times.

The chit states the cost of the items you have had which, providing they are included in Allegrissimo, are then zeroed by a corresponding credit. The important thing therefore is always to check that the bottom line is zero. Occasionally mistakes are made which are easy enough to rectify either at the time if you notice or with a visit to the cashier's desk in reception if you don't.

If you are in a group of people on Allegrissimo, there is a fair amount of licence taken as to which card drinks are put on. The rule on my first experience was 3 people's drinks per card while the second time this had been reduced to two. The first time, as the gentleman, I had a horrific number of drinks on my account, while my dainty mother and our equally dainty friend (neither!) had almost none. I always wonder if MSC are profiling me based on use of Allegrissimo.

Finally, Allegrissimo includes a rather good bubbly which is available at any bar on the ship but sadly, in my experience, not in the MDRs. Others' experiences may differ.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Thanks Tim.....You're so helpful!

How is wine w/Allegrissimo handled at buffets? Do I need to get a glass from bar and bring to buffet area? That is a bit of a pain...Would be nice to be able to get it right near buffet.

Barbara

Thanks Tim.....You're so helpful!

How is wine w/Allegrissimo handled at buffets? Do I need to get a glass from bar and bring to buffet area? That is a bit of a pain...Would be nice to be able to get it right near buffet.

Barbara

No, once a waiter knows you are on Allegrissimo there is excellent at-table drinks service in the buffet. You can go to the bar too. Also, the choice of drinks is from the full bar menu rather than the limited MDR Allegrissimo selection. The other difference in the buffet is that rounds are 'charged' to your card(s) each service rather than at the end of the meal.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

More good news Tim...I hope to cruise with you some day so I can toast with you!

Can we get bottles of water from the bar using Allegrissimo (regular water) to take off the ship on excursions?

I was having doubts about the Allegrissimo vs. vouchers, but think we'll be fine w/Allegrissimo.

Tx again

Barbara

More good news Tim...I hope to cruise with you some day so I can toast with you!

Can we get bottles of water from the bar using Allegrissimo (regular water) to take off the ship on excursions?

I was having doubts about the Allegrissimo vs. vouchers, but think we'll be fine w/Allegrissimo.

Tx again

Barbara

Yes, large or small bottles of water at any bar. Allegrissimo is fantastic value once you look beyond the so-so wine: cocktails, smoothies, milkshakes, speciality coffees, freshly-squeezed juices, beers, 'champagne', amazing ice-creams, etc.. If you have any sort of budget, Allegrissimo is the way to maximise value while on the ship. Do not have any apprehensions about Allegrissimo. The wine isn't great but it is passable. Once outside the MDR you have freedom of the ship. and no expenses to think about.

Enjoy!

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Ditto to everything Tim said. I'd add that occasionally a waiter will just open the bottle and leave it with you rather than pour by the glass. They don't seem to follow the exact save process on every ship. I was quite surprised that the waiter just gave me the bottle on my last cruise as I was the only Allegrissimo person at my table of 7. I did "donate" the occasional glass to one of my table mates who was also drinking red.

The wine list in the US has a few variations from the one used elsewhere, so you may well find that your choice will be different.

Ditto to everything Tim said. I'd add that occasionally a waiter will just open the bottle and leave it with you rather than pour by the glass. They don't seem to follow the exact save process on every ship. I was quite surprised that the waiter just gave me the bottle on my last cruise as I was the only Allegrissimo person at my table of 7. I did "donate" the occasional glass to one of my table mates who was also drinking red.

The wine list in the US has a few variations from the one used elsewhere, so you may well find that your choice will be different.

On our last cruise, we share a table with a lady who was on the Allegrissimo package. The waiter always left a full bottle on the table, from, which she shared with us whatever she thought she would not able to finish. Midway into the cruise, the waiter told her when he opened a new bottle. "When you're finished, I'll bring you more". We say this as an invitation to continue sharing.

Of course, at the end of the week, the waiter received a nice tip on top of the service charge.

We have recently returned from the Preziosa, and after the first night the waiter asked us if we wanted a rose wine every night, we said yes and he had 2 bottles in a cooler ready and waiting for us every night. After a few nights we asked for a sparkling wine which he duly brought for us and asked if we liked it, when we said we did he then left a rose and a sparkling wine each night it is a fantastic package. Would not cruise without one Carol