1st timer, single mother with 2 kids on Legend

tracy733

I am on the Legend on Jan 5th, 2014 with my two children aged 11 and 13 and celebrating my 50th birthday(alone)!!!

I know I have left this a bit late but would like some help with the excursions on shore please.

The ship prices are a bit expensive for me so would like some help in knowing what to do at each port. Fancy snorkelling or maybe swimming with the dolphins but cant afford to do lots. Is it safe for me to catch taxis on my own?? and just rely on finding people on the port?? How much money should I take with me ashore?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks :):)

I am on the Legend on Jan 5th, 2014 with my two children aged 11 and 13 and celebrating my 50th birthday(alone)!!!

I know I have left this a bit late but would like some help with the excursions on shore please.

The ship prices are a bit expensive for me so would like some help in knowing what to do at each port. Fancy snorkelling or maybe swimming with the dolphins but cant afford to do lots. Is it safe for me to catch taxis on my own?? and just rely on finding people on the port?? How much money should I take with me ashore?

Join your roll call now. You will be surprised how many nice people you will meet.

Maybe someone over there to help with the excursions.

Also hopeful there will be some kids around your kids ages & they can meet at the meet & great.

Relax & enjoy. :)

I haven't been to the ports mentioned, but in a general sense, you are safe to take taxis. Know what the fees will be ahead of time, and make sure the taxi driver is talking "American Dollars".

There is usually a beach somewhere that you can snorkel from the shore, bring snorkels from home, you can get them almost anywhere, just bring the masks and snorkel, fins aren't needed and if you can, practice before you go in a pool or something.

We usually carry about 100$ cash in port with us, unless we know a taxi or something will cost us more. We don't always spend it all, and usually know if we need more. We also carry a credit card incase of emergency. We don't generally eat in port, just before we get off the ship and then head to the buffet when we get back.

Do some research before you go so you have one or two beaches in mind in case you change your mind. Or maybe something to do in case of ran etc.

I have a book called Frommers Ports of Call. It has a snipet of info on each port, beach info, taxis info etc. But I bring it with us in port because it has all kinds of important info, phone numbers for taxis, and emergency numbers for hospitals, and government agencies. I've never had to use it for anything important, but it's nice to know I have all the info.

Have Fun!

Hi Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman

Any help much appreciated thanks

You will be tendered to Grand Cayman. Not to be missed is swimming with the stingrays. Your kids will love it and so will you. There are venders selling tours for 1/3 the price of Carnival. They are located after you get off the tender and walk through the secure area right before the selling huts/stores. Grand Cayman is pretty safe. Be careful in Cozumel, but do buy some real vanilla for baking, and it also makes a good gift. Not sure about the other two, but do join your roll call! Have a great cruise, and Happy 50th birthday!

First - I just want to say that I am a single mother as well. I went on my first cruise years ago as single mom with my 4 children....and I was totally hooked! I have cruised several times since then in many different "configurations"....with all my kids/some of my kids/with a friend/solo.....IMHO a cruise is the ultimate family vacation for a single mom to take with kids!

As far as the ports you are calling on....

In Cozumel it is very easy and safe to take a taxi. After you wind through the port area there is a nice large taxi area which has signs posted with the cost to get to each place. I have taken my kids to Paradise Beach and we had a blast. Mr. Sanchos is also written about a lot. You can get really good info over on the Ports of Call thread.

In Belize, personally I would suggest a Carnival excursion. When I was with kids we did a snorkel and beach beach break excursion which was very nice. The snorkel boat picked us right up at the ship and returned us back at the end which meant we did not have to tender to shore which was nice.

In Roatan you can enjoy a very nice - and inexpensive day - at the beach right where the ship docks. If you time your day well you can eat meals on the ship and not have to spend a lot of money on food at the beach

In Grand Cayman you can swim with the Sting Rays or Dolphins on a tour. I always book privately in Grand Cayman if I do an excursion. Again, the ports of call threads are a great place to get the most recent opinions , prices and reviews. In Grand Cayman there are also plenty of taxis to take you places and if you don't want to spend lots of money you can forgo the big excursions and just walk around the town. There is a beach front place - Eden Roc maybe? - easily walkable from the pier where you can snorkel.

We will be getting off Legend as you are getting on (doing New Years).

In Cozumel, you can take a cab to Paradise beach which in inexpensive and very nice. Big pool area.

Roatan has it's own Carnival beach for an inexpensive day.

Belize I would take a Carnival tour depending on your likes.

Grand Cayman you can again take a short cab ride to 7 mile beach.

Have a great cruise. We'll warm it up for you.

Oh you can absolutely do your own thing.

Cozumel: take a taxi to the beach. Just ask the price before you get in. Chankanaab has good snorkeling and they also have swimming with the dolphins. Or go downtown and shop. This is the place to buy souvenirs.

Belize: I prefer a ship's excursion here. Snorkeling is supposed to be good although I haven't done it here. If you want to see ruins, this is the place.

Roatan: There is a beach a short walk/ride from the port area. Or book Victor Bodden Tours. Tex was great.

Grand Cayman: Swim with the stingrays. I loved stingraysailing.com. They did a great job and it's a wonderful experience!

You said you were interested in swimming with dolphins?

Do it at Cozumel - Chankanaab. You can google it. Book independantly.

Or else Paradise Beach is very nice.

Roatan - Nice beach right where ship docks. Or else head to West Bay Beach.

Grand Cayman - If you want to swim with the Rays, check out NativeWays.

Look for suggestions in the port of call threads.

You said you were interested in swimming with dolphins?

Do it at Cozumel - Chankanaab. You can google it. Book independantly.

Or else Paradise Beach is very nice.

Roatan - Nice beach right where ship docks. Or else head to West Bay Beach.

Grand Cayman - If you want to swim with the Rays, check out NativeWays.

Look for suggestions in the port of call threads.

I agree with this poster.

I don't like sting rays o we just go to 7 mile beach at grand cayman.

There is a small ship wreck near the tenders that you can snorkle and see lots of fish. That is free.

For Belize we are going cavetubing they also have ziplining. We are going with vitalino at cavetubing bz.

We go to paradise beac in Cozumel. Just take a cab. For $10 you can get a wristband for he kids to use all the toys. If ou really want o swim with olphins chanknaab will have it. You can catch a cab there also so it's cheaper than carnivals option.