BRITISH ISLES OR BALTIC, Which One?

If you have done both, the Baltic Ports (St. Petersburg, etc) and the British Isles (Dublin, etc.), please help us decide. Given a chance to do one or theother, which itinerary would you prefer?

Your honest opinions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Susana

We have done both and I would vote for the Baltic.

The weather was better. ;)

Either one is good but I found the Baltic more interesting, St Petersburg was something not to miss.

Enjoy which ever one you choose

I would vote for the Baltic first; you will see all the Scandanavian capitals so there is a lot of history and culture. As already mentioned, St Petersburg is definitely a highlight of your cruise.

The British Isles cruise had some major cities but also many small towns - interesting and charming but not as impressive. So it really depends on what you like.

The weather can be cold and wet on either itinerary. On our British cruise, though, there was a major heat wave, so I wouldn't let the weather influence you. Whatever you choose, have a great trip!

We've done both, and it's a toss up for me. We had 3 ports in Ireland on our British Isles cruise (also Bordeaux and LeHavre in France as well as Holyhead in Wales and a couple more), and I we absolutely fell in love with Ireland so wouldn't have wanted to miss that. Also, we are both of Scotch/Irish descent, and it was important to us to see the homeland of our ancestors.

On the other hand, we are cruising in late August on our 2nd Baltics cruise, and that is a wonderful itinerary. I would say that there is a little more scenic cruising in the Baltics if that helps your decision, but cruising down the Irish coastline was fabulous. Depending on your ports, one advantage that we found to the Baltics, considering that we are very independent sightseers, is that the ship's dock in ports very close to the attractions; with the exception of St. Petersburg (where I recommend a private guide), you can see and do so much on your own easily because English is widely spoken and public transportation is great. Basically, my opinion is that you can't go wrong with either cruise, so maybe some more research will give you a gut feeling about one or the other.

We've also done the spectacular fjords cruise, and that's another thread . . . .

I hope you will be lucky (blessed) like we have been and will be able to do both.

Donna

We've done both, and it's a toss up for me. We had 3 ports in Ireland on our British Isles cruise (also Bordeaux and LeHavre in France as well as Holyhead in Wales and a couple more), and I we absolutely fell in love with Ireland so wouldn't have wanted to miss that. Also, we are both of Scotch/Irish descent, and it was important to us to see the homeland of our ancestors.

On the other hand, we are cruising in late August on our 2nd Baltics cruise, and that is a wonderful itinerary. I would say that there is a little more scenic cruising in the Baltics if that helps your decision, but cruising down the Irish coastline was fabulous. Depending on your ports, one advantage that we found to the Baltics, considering that we are very independent sightseers, is that the ship's dock in ports very close to the attractions; with the exception of St. Petersburg (where I recommend a private guide), you can see and do so much on your own easily because English is widely spoken and public transportation is great. Basically, my opinion is that you can't go wrong with either cruise, so maybe some more research will give you a gut feeling about one or the other.

We've also done the spectacular fjords cruise, and that's another thread . . . .

I hope you will be lucky (blessed) like we have been and will be able to do both.

Donna

My question would be ...which one would interest YOU the most??? I would research ports of call and then go with what seems to be something that YOU really want to see.Either would be good,but as Donna said..hopefully you can do both.

We have done them both and for us it would be a toss up also. I think the British Isles is easier to do because most of the time English is spoken. I think I also felt safer on the British Isles cruise. I know what just recently happened in London but I still feel that way.

Sue

Thanks so much for your replies.... as I suspected, they both sound great! For my husband and me everything is good as we enjoy meeting one and all. I think I will pass your comments on to my sister and defer to her decision - she just needs to hurry so I can get my miles tickets :)

Susana

• 3 weeks later...

Archived