Thinking of cruising with another line - considerations/pitfalls

gillyd42

I usually cruise RCI which I really enjoy.

We are looking to get a break for our Feb school week so are limited to destinations and don’t have the luxury of time to be able to travel to the Carribean for a week.

So, I came across an offer for Costa Cruises in the med leaving from Barcelona. For a week I think I can accept that it isn’t RCI but can you as seasoned travellers give me some ideas on other things I should be considering.

Eg: I expect there will be a small number of English speaking travellers/crew , will this impact our interaction on the cruise line. Weather will be a lot cooler but expect to be able to do a lot more without the humidity/oppressive summer heat.

Thanks

Gilly

The good news is taking a winter break on a cruise, the bad news is (as you are aware), that Royal Caribbean isn't available then. While Costa is one option, have you considered the NCL (Norwegian) Spirit sailings from Barcelona? For ship review, check out Cruise Critic reviews like this one: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=299. The Spirit offers free-style cruising, teen disco, waterpark, and a casual vibe.

Also, the MSC Splendida (with its European style, cuisine, and language), also departs from Barcelona. Check ship reviews such as this one: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=380. It is mentioned that while many fellow passengers may not speak English, the crew will. And your menu and daily newsletter will be in English. Tablemates at assigned dinner seating will speak English, and announcements and lifeboat drill will be in five languages- including, but not leading with English.

Have a great school break cruise! :)

The good news is taking a winter break on a cruise, the bad news is (as you are aware), that Royal Caribbean isn't available then. While Costa is one option, have you considered the NCL (Norwegian) Spirit sailings from Barcelona? For ship review, check out Cruise Critic reviews like this one: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=299. The Spirit offers free-style cruising, teen disco, waterpark, and a casual vibe.

Also, the MSC Splendida (with its European style, cuisine, and language), also departs from Barcelona. Check ship reviews such as this one: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=380. It is mentioned that while many fellow passengers may not speak English, the crew will. And your menu and daily newsletter will be in English. Tablemates at assigned dinner seating will speak English, and announcements and lifeboat drill will be in five languages- including, but not leading with English.

Have a great school break cruise! :)

Thanks for this, will take a look - Gilly

I usually cruise RCI which I really enjoy.

We are looking to get a break for our Feb school week so are limited to destinations and don’t have the luxury of time to be able to travel to the Carribean for a week.

So, I came across an offer for Costa Cruises in the med leaving from Barcelona. For a week I think I can accept that it isn’t RCI but can you as seasoned travellers give me some ideas on other things I should be considering.

Eg: I expect there will be a small number of English speaking travellers/crew , will this impact our interaction on the cruise line. Weather will be a lot cooler but expect to be able to do a lot more without the humidity/oppressive summer heat.

Thanks

Gilly

I would choose MSC over Costa as well. MSC ships are way more beautiful and elegant.

I was about to book with MSC but my travel agent told me italian lines wont pamper you and wont be as friendly. They will serve you and help you with what you need, they just wont go the extra mile, if you are used to that. I would also consider NCL. If you go with Costa and MSC you might miss the fun feel of RCI.