Creating a 2-bedroom suite

fdpevey

We’re thinking of taking the Sun 7-day Glacier Bay cruise this summer – my husband and me plus my parents. The Sun has the itinerary we like most (with a combined CruiseTour) but no two-bedroom suites.

Has anyone out there done a suite plus an inside bedroom across the hall for extended family? I figure we could get them a key to our suite so they could enter anytime they want and enjoy the balcony (we are looking at a corner-aft suite). With a bedroom door that closes, they would not disturb us if they decided to rise early on days we didn’t (really – we wouldn’t mind – even my husband enjoys my parents and we have vacationed together in a two-bedroom bungalow before).

What drawbacks are there to this idea that I haven’t considered?

Edited by fdpevey

.What drawbacks are there to this idea that I haven’t considered?

Only those in the Suite will be able to enjoy the suite perks. Those in the other room, will not. Unless, of course, that's also a suite. Mini Suites aren't included in the suite perks.

Just something to be aware of.....

Harriet

Only those in the Suite will be able to enjoy the suite perks. Those in the other room, will not. Unless, of course, that's also a suite. Mini Suites aren't included in the suite perks.

Just something to be aware of.....

Harriet

Not always true. The concierge and other staff members can include others. It is very common to extend the perks to family members in cabins adjoining the penthouse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

The aft corner suites have adjoining balcony cabins making a true 2 bedroom suite. With that booking I would not be surprised if the concierge extended suite perks to your parents if asked.

I have heard of this happening on the Sun, on a case-by-case basis because there are no 2-bedroom suites. The corner suites on the bow on Deck 11 also connect to their adjacent balcony cabins, offering more 2-bedroom alternatives.

Not always true. The concierge and other staff members can include others. It is very common to extend the perks to family members in cabins adjoining the penthouse.

Not common at all. Not fair to those that pay suite costs. There was a recent case though that a customer paid suite fee's for an adjoining balcony cabin and the entire family was then included. So that could be one approach. On our Spirit cruise it quickly became apparent that a non suite family was joining the rest of their family in suite perks. Many in the suites went to the HD and the situation was corrected.

Best to buy the accommodations that you want and then all can join in the fun!!!

Quick to clarify - I am NOT looking to get around paying suite prices. I can appreciate passengers who have paid those prices being upset if those who didn't receive the perks.

As mentioned, I am trying to figure out my best options on how to accommodate since the Sun does not offer a two-bedroom suite option.

All of your replies are appreciated.

DMH15 (Donna) had a corner aft suite on the Sun when we sailed past April. It had a nice separation and was close to a 2bedroom.

Ah yes, and I will be in it again. October.

OP, if it were me I would see two out of the following three options:

1. All of you in an Owners suite or an aft ph with the bedroom divided by a door. Although the bathroom is large, you would be sharing it. This scenario could work for some families who work well together. Suite perks for all.

2. Book two suites, forward or aft. They will be close together, only a minute away and this guarantees suite perks for all.

3. Book one suite and another non suite. Even if people on here or on the NCL phone say you will probably have perks for all, there is no guarantee of it. If it were me, I would not take the chance. The upside of 2 bathrooms and more room is not enough to offset the chance of only 2 of you having suite perks.

I have travelled twice on the Sun with family and friends in a non suite room, just two total. Some days we met up after breakfast or lunch and sometimes we joined them in the MDR. The concierge knew we were travelling together and never extended an invite, even once. And I would never ask. We did enyertain in our suite though.

I do love the Sun but unfortunately it does not work in every case. That is why we will do the Jewel 2 bedroom Haven in 2015 when my niece graduated hs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Not common at all. Not fair to those that pay suite costs. There was a recent case though that a customer paid suite fee's for an adjoining balcony cabin and the entire family was then included. So that could be one approach. On our Spirit cruise it quickly became apparent that a non suite family was joining the rest of their family in suite perks. Many in the suites went to the HD and the situation was corrected.

Best to buy the accommodations that you want and then all can join in the fun!!!

In fact those that book a suite and an adjoining cabin pay more per passenger then those that chose to stuff 4-6 in a single suite. If I follow your logic passengers 2-6 who pay the same as addition passengers in an inside cabin should not get suite perks. I am not talking about those that book a Haven suite and have family scattered below on the ship.

We decided to book the O/S for us on the Xmas cruise on the Sun and book Mum in the adjoining balcony next door. We figured both rooms get use of the lounge and there's 2 separate, distinct bedrooms plus Mum can use the bath/veranda/hot-tub.

Not at all worried about her not being able to use suite perks, we're on a family holiday with kids and grand-kids so we're all wanting to do things together, not apart. So we won't be priority boarding or taking advantage of the suite only perks...the only thing we may do is order breakfast in the room for everyone.

Think its a good compromise this way, lots of room and space to enjoy, but still together.

In fact those that book a suite and an adjoining cabin pay more per passenger then those that chose to stuff 4-6 in a single suite. If I follow your logic passengers 2-6 who pay the same as addition passengers in an inside cabin should not get suite perks. I am not talking about those that book a Haven suite and have family scattered below on the ship.

I have booked an aft suite and connecting balcony cabin for a cruise in December. It would have indeed been cheaper to put our party of five adults in just the suite, but we decided we really wanted an extra bathroom and a little more space. As far as the suite perks go.....I guess we will find out how that works out. At least three of us will be extra happy! :D

This logic is a bit flawed when you look at it from NCL's side, as they are making less money. If one were to book four people in the suite, the second cabin would be available for sale at full price to others. Those people are paying more than booking four in a suite, but they are getting much, much more (a full additional bedroom and bath).

Booking a suite and an inside guarantees two separate bedrooms and bathrooms, but not suite perks for the second cabin. If you wish to guarantee two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and suite perks for all, the only way to do this is to book two separate suites (or a larger suite on other ships). Those that pay for a second suite for their larger family are paying much more than those that pay for a suite and a non-suite cabin (thats what we do to guarantee suite perks for my kids), and yes, they might consider it unfair for others who did not extend that extra cash to share the benefits.

I know the Sun is a bit different, in that it does not have connecting suites for larger families, and sometimes exceptions are made, especially for those families whose children are young and must be placed in a connecting room. But, especially in the case of additional adults who can be safely booked in a nearby suite, it is nowhere near "common" and definitely should not be expected.

To the OP: There are some great combinations to accommodate all of you. If you don't mind foregoing guaranteed suite perks for your parents, the forward Owner's Suites connect to a lovely mini suite, making a beautiful expansive area with separate areas and doors - we have done this and it's great. If you don't need them to be connected and wish to guarantee the perks for all, two of the aft suites (or forward suites) could be booked, and are very close by for spending time together. You can always have extra keys made to go back and forth. And if you don't need connecting NOR suite perks for your parents, any combination you look would do.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

I have booked an aft suite and connecting balcony cabin for a cruise in December. It would have indeed been cheaper to put our party of five adults in just the suite, but we decided we really wanted an extra bathroom and a little more space. As far as the suite perks go.....I guess we will find out how that works out. At least three of us will be extra happy! :D

Make certain your 2 cabins are Linked in the booking , it helps .. Ask your TA.

;)

Probably a dumb question, but if I booked and paid for both cabins at the same time, can I assume they are linked? :confused:

Yes you can assume that and it most likely is that way . But you know what they say ;) The concierge will see they are linked and "May" aproach you about it. If they are not , well ..

I'd call to make sure, but then again I leave nothing to chance . Except maybe the baked fish on the pool deck .

Yes you can assume that and it most likely is that way . But you know what they say ;) The concierge will see they are linked and "May" aproach you about it. If they are not , well ..

I'd call to make sure, but then again I leave nothing to chance . Except maybe the baked fish on the pool deck .

Makes sense! :)