Carnivial Splendor, Or Msc Divina, Anyone Sailed Both?

Big Jay

Common business sense would tell you that ANY CRUISE LINE cannot afford to sell all their double occupancy rooms to single cruisers for half price!

Suppose a ship has 1000 double occupancy @ $500pp. That amounts to $1000 per room or $1,000,000 for all the rooms. Now let's book all these rooms to singles. That amounts to $500,000. A loss of half a million dollars per ship per cruise!! This number would greatly increase over the course of one year for multiple ships. THE COST WOULD HAVE TO BE PASSED ON TO OTHER CRUISERS! So I say no way to single rate cruises.

As for as the deposit, it doesn't matter....you will have to pay it later anyways!

I'm a solo cruiser. The solo rates are only for a certain number of cruisers, and so far have been 90% or more on the smaller, shorter cruises, so limited impact on longer ones. Despite solo rates, there will never be that many solos to trim their bottom line. We are simply filling unsold cabins. Solo rates do not happen on a high selling ship. A cabin with one is better than a cabin with none. So, solo cruisers actually help keep rates under control. We actually serve a purpose:D

I just saw the Splendor with a rating of 4.5 and the Divina is a 4.

Not sure who rate these things but that is what I saw.

I wish I can post the site but I think it may be frowned upon here.

Right here on cc the Divinia has about a 55% rating.

I personally would like to try her, but not for the reasons the OP is raving about.

Edited by Lerin

Maybe Some Of You, May Be Cheerleaders, Or Loyal To Carnival, Sorry.... But I'm Not!!!

Not loyal to any particular cruise line – I've cruised most of them. My point was to address your comment that MSC is going to give Carnival a run for their money out of the Miami market....that simply isn't going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your thought process of trying another line....I agree that it's good to move on and try something different.

But the fact is DIVINA's coming to Miami is of little consequence to Carnival. Now, if all goes well, and they move more year-round ships to the Florida market, things could be different, but I doubt they'll do that since the European market is their main forte.

Right here on cc the Divinia has about a 55% rating.

I personally would like to try her, but not for the reasons the OP is raving about.

I'm Not RAVING About Anything!!! I'm A Veteran Cruiser, Been On 16 Cruises, On DIFFERENT Lines, So Believe Me Buddy, I'm Doing My Research!!! What I Will Say About The Divina, Carnivial Has NO Ship In It's Fleet, That Can Possibly Compare To The Décor, And Pool Decks Of The Divina!!! I've Been On Quite A Few Carnival Ships (See Signature Below) Some Were Very Nice, But Not Like The Divina!!!!

Not loyal to any particular cruise line – I've cruised most of them. My point was to address your comment that MSC is going to give Carnival a run for their money out of the Miami market....that simply isn't going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your thought process of trying another line....I agree that it's good to move on and try something different.

But the fact is DIVINA's coming to Miami is of little consequence to Carnival. Now, if all goes well, and they move more year-round ships to the Florida market, things could be different, but I doubt they'll do that since the European market is their main forte.

Come On Man! Let's Be Real!!! We Know That MSC , With It's One Ship Can NOT, Overtake Carnival!!! Carnival Probally Has More That Ten Ships, Sailing From Florida!!! I'm Talking About, The CHOICES Solo Cruisers Now Have, With The Addition Of MSC Dvina, As Well As NCL Epic, And Soon The Getaway!!! We Solo Cruisers Will Have More Options, And WON"T Have To Pay The Outrageous 200% Supplement, That Carnivial, Now Charges For Cruising Solo! Maybe Now, Carnival Will Go Back To The 125% 150% Supplement, That THEY Use To Charge The Solo Cruisers!!!! Got It.... Good!!!:rolleyes:

I think MSC will be a distraction to Carnival, of course it will be small scale. They are having varied itineraries coming up. The most interesting is on Dec. 10, an 11 night cruise going to many southern ports starting at $699 pp. ( a solo is $899!!). I'm sure rates will gradually increase.

It will take a while to establish, it's not a familiar name in the states and it likely will still be slightly European, though staff is retrained more to American ways. This will be a bonus.

I'm glad I have cruised with MSC so I remember there are differences not recognized by those who have not.

I'll repeat as I did early on that Carnival has a more relaxed atmosphere.

Come On Man! Let's Be Real!!! We Know That MSC , With It's One Ship Can NOT, Overtake Carnival!!! Carnival Probally Has More That Ten Ships, Sailing From Florida!!! I'm Talking About, The CHOICES Solo Cruisers Now Have, With The Addition Of MSC Dvina, As Well As NCL Epic, And Soon The Getaway!!! We Solo Cruisers Will Have More Options, And WON"T Have To Pay The Outrageous 200% Supplement, That Carnivial, Now Charges For Cruising Solo! Maybe Now, Carnival Will Go Back To The 125% 150% Supplement, That THEY Use To Charge The Solo Cruisers!!!! Got It.... Good!!!:rolleyes:

Oh, I "got it" from the start.....but you're the one who said that Carnival will have serious competition (your words, not mine) with MSC coming to town – I just responded. Roll your eyes as much as you want, but, I guarantee, it's your posts who have people stratching their heads.....