"Live from" Queen Elizabeth to the Mediterannean! My First Cunard Experience

lovely_serenity

Do your parents read your comments?

Pepper, I don't understand was there something wrong with saying it was a very artistic photo (rather Matisse-like, I thought) or asking if the OP's parents read her thread?

In answer to your question, no my parents don't read my comments; they died within months of each other not long ago. -S.

Pepper, I don't understand was there something wrong with saying it was a very artistic photo ... or asking if the OP's parents read her thread?
Please don't insult my intelligence Salacia. I am very careful, and I hope also polite, to never insult yours. Edited by pepperrn

Please don't insult my intelligence Salacia. I am very careful, and I hope also polite, to never insult yours.

Pepperrn, I wrote that "I do not understand..." - my not being able to understand is certainly no insult to your intelligence! Since I still don't understand what the problem is, I'll just accept that I will never know and move on. -S.

Thanks! && My mom does, I don't think my dad reads it though.

You have done a wonderful job with this thread and also posted some beautiful pictures. Please don't even try to understand the fickle comments on here, the 'Adults' should know better.

It's a new era and a very enlightening one through the eyes of a youngster who will most certainly treasure these moments and the thrill of experiencing a Cunard ship.

Best, Judy

Thanks! && My mom does, I don't think my dad reads it though.

You're welcome. I'm glad your mom reads your thread - I think that's a great way to keep the lines of communication open.:) Cheers, Salacia

P.S. BTW, Your photo reminded me of this Matisse painting http://www.art.com/products/p13765110872-sa-i6489181/henri-matisse-matisse-odalisque-1922.htm. The reasons why it reminded me of this painting is because Matisse played around with perspective, eventually developing the flattened plane he most often employed later in life - which is similar to the effect you got by taking a photo of a mirror reflection. Also, the active pattern of colorful rug in your photo is similar to backgrounds Matisse used, and of course, the pose of the woman in the foreground is very similar to that of the woman shown in that painting, imo. Were you thinking of his work when you took the photo? If so, I think it's a nice homage to one of my favourite artists.

Edited by Salacia

You have done a wonderful job with this thread and also posted some beautiful pictures. Please don't even try to understand the fickle comments on here, the 'Adults' should know better.

It's a new era and a very enlightening one through the eyes of a youngster who will most certainly treasure these moments and the thrill of experiencing a Cunard ship.

Best, Judy

Hi Judy,

Thank you very much! && Haha, I'm not even going to try, ignorance is bliss, right? :D :D :D

I will definitely treasure these moments that I can share with my parents while I'm young, because I understand that this comes but once in a lifetime (:

You're welcome. I'm glad your mom reads your thread - I think that's a great way to keep the lines of communication open.:) Cheers, Salacia

P.S. BTW, Your photo reminded me of this Matisse painting http://www.art.com/products/p13765110872-sa-i6489181/henri-matisse-matisse-odalisque-1922.htm. The reasons why it reminded me of this painting is because Matisse played around with perspective, eventually developing the flattened plane he most often employed later in life - which is similar to the effect you got by taking a photo of a mirror reflection. Also, the active pattern of colorful rug in your photo is similar to backgrounds Matisse used, and of course, the pose of the woman in the foreground is very similar to that of the woman shown in that painting, imo. Were you thinking of his work when you took the photo? If so, I think it's a nice homage to one of my favourite artists.

Hi Salacia,

I agree! I'm quite glad to hear that my mom is still reading my trip reports!

&& Oh wow, I never even realized haha! My process of thinking is much simpler than that (: I was honestly thinking that it would just make for a nice photo, having noticed the mirrors that were present overhead! But I'm glad that it reminds you of one of your favourite artists!

Hi Sarah! I found this thread a few weeks ago and have been enjoying all of your posts and pictures. I will be sailing on the QE as my first cruise through the Mediterranean this November. Your descriptions give me something to look forward to and give me an idea of what to expect. Thank you for being so thorough!

You'll be lucky if it has been finished by November
Which year. Sarah delightful though it is to see your family holiday snaps please be more selective with your pics. We know what a glass of iced water looks like. We know what a bowl of soup looks like. We dont need to see snaps of more half eaten food which by the way is disgusting and repulsive. If you were to show us more pics of the places your visited or more of scenes from the ship they would be much appreciated. But not another cup of coffee. Once again we know what that looks like. I suggest that next time you reduce the size of the pics a lot more. They do not need to be the size they are now. Smaller would be better thank you. That would spare many of us with slow connections. And you might want to take a course in photography first. That way more of your snaps will be level and correctly exposed. At present your excellent camera is wasted on family snaps. You have the makings of a fine photographer dont waste that. Now with exams almost over and you leaving school I expect youll finish this project before the first birthday of you starting. Thank you for the well written and often entertaining text. Thank you for many but not all of the pics. But please get to the conclusion. Youve got a whole life ahead of you. Many of us havent. Thank you.

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

Which year. Sarah delightful though it is to see your family holiday snaps please be more selective with your pics. We know what a glass of iced water looks like. We know what a bowl of soup looks like.

I do not agree. Sarah - Don't change anything. I love your style. It is so original. :)

Which year. Sarah delightful though it is to see your family holiday snaps please be more selective with your pics. We know what a glass of iced water looks like. We know what a bowl of soup looks like. We dont need to see snaps of more half eaten food which by the way is disgusting and repulsive. If you were to show us more pics of the places your visited or more of scenes from the ship they would be much appreciated. But not another cup of coffee. Once again we know what that looks like. I suggest that next time you reduce the size of the pics a lot more. They do not need to be the size they are now. Smaller would be better thank you. That would spare many of us with slow connections. And you might want to take a course in photography first. That way more of your snaps will be level and correctly exposed. At present your excellent camera is wasted on family snaps. You have the makings of a fine photographer dont waste that. Now with exams almost over and you leaving school I expect youll finish this project before the first birthday of you starting. Thank you for the well written and often entertaining text. Thank you for many but not all of the pics. But please get to the conclusion. Youve got a whole life ahead of you. Many of us havent. Thank you.

Cheers.

This comment is really rude ! I have followed Sarah on several threads and though it takes her awhile to report on her cruise I have enjoyed them all. Please remember...... No one is making you read them.

Sarah , please ignore this comment as you have a lot of talent .:)

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think anyone has denied that the OP has a lot of talent. Perhaps it is because of her obvious talent, that some comments urge the OP forward to improve her work. For better or worse, a critique is common practice when it comes to artistic endeavors. It isn't easy to hear or read a critique, but it comes with the game. (That's why it is especially important to have someone who knows and loves you see you through the rough spots, especially for a young woman. Happily the OP has her mom.)

Sometimes it's a thin line between being rude and offering constructive criticism, but I have no doubt the the OP is able to navigate the waters.

And yes, we've all see glasses of ice water, just as I saw many cans of Campbell soup, but then Andy Warhol showed a different way of presenting the same old thing. If the OP wants to photograph ice water, she has been challenged to make those photos interesting. Anyway, I sincerely hope the OP takes comments as constructive, because I believe they were intended as such.

However, the cynic in me says that if the desire is simply prolong the thread in order to set a record number of views in order to win some kind of prize - well, that just makes me wonder. -S.

Edited by Salacia

Hi Sarah! I found this thread a few weeks ago and have been enjoying all of your posts and pictures. I will be sailing on the QE as my first cruise through the Mediterranean this November. Your descriptions give me something to look forward to and give me an idea of what to expect. Thank you for being so thorough!

I am very happy that you enjoyed reading my trip report! I hope that it will help get you excited for your cruise!

Cheers.

I appreciate your opinion in the sense that I should be more selective in which photos I post, but this would essentially defeat the purpose of when I say I will post a picture of everything I did. I apologize if some of my photos "disgust" you or "repulse" you, I would recommend you do not look at said photos. I would also like to point out that I already do reduce the sizes of my photos from the dimensions of (5184 x 3456) to (1024 x 683). It is also incredibly unlikely that I will actually be taking any classes in order to correct my apparent mis-leved and mis-exposed photos, since it is indeed a hobby and the purpose of the camera was to take pictures of my family vacations.

However, I cannot agree with you when you say my photos have been wasted on "family snaps". I would certainly hope that you are aware that this is a FAMILY vacation that I am on, and the main purpose of these photos are for memory's sake, and the lack of FAMILY in the photos would render them moot. This is why I feel that it is not at all a waste to take pictures of my FAMILY while on my FAMILY VACATION.

Thank you though, for the kind words in regards to my photo taking ability and writing. I will indeed be finishing this project, prior to August, as I will be starting a new one.

This comment is really rude ! I have followed Sarah on several threads and though it takes her awhile to report on her cruise I have enjoyed them all. Please remember...... No one is making you read them.

Sarah , please ignore this comment as you have a lot of talent .:)

I'm glad you've enjoyed my reports! & Thank you very much :)

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think anyone has denied that the OP has a lot of talent. Perhaps it is because of her obvious talent, that some comments urge the OP forward to improve her work. For better or worse, a critique is common practice when it comes to artistic endeavors. It isn't easy to hear or read a critique, but it comes with the game. (That's why it is especially important to have someone who knows and loves you see you through the rough spots, especially for a young woman. Happily the OP has her mom.)

Sometimes it's a thin line between being rude and offering constructive criticism, but I have no doubt the the OP is able to navigate the waters.

And yes, we've all see glasses of ice water, just as I saw many cans of Campbell soup, but then Andy Warhol showed a different way of presenting the same old thing. If the OP wants to photograph ice water, she has been challenged to make those photos interesting. Anyway, I sincerely hope the OP takes comments as constructive, because I believe they were intended as such.

However, the cynic in me says that if the desire is simply prolong the thread in order to set a record number of views in order to win some kind of prize - well, that just makes me wonder. -S.

I will do what I can in trying to grow through constructive criticism, but as you have mentioned, sometimes it's a little difficult to tolerate simply rude comments. I would also like to address the latter part of your comment, in which I may be prolonging this thread simply because I want more views. I can assure you that that is certainly not the case. The number of views I receive is irrelevant to me, as this was started just as a travel blog so that I would be able to essentially create a storybook of the family vacations I have been on, so that my family and relatives would be able to read it. I apologize if I take too long in creating it, but that is merely because (unlike last year when I could update relatively quickly), I am approaching the end of my high school career and am trying to transition into post-secondary by trying to attain things such as scholarships, and keeping my grades up. I have a provincial exam next week and have recently finished one of my AP exams. As much as I love writing this blog, I cannot prioritize it above my school work, and I am very sorry for that. My academic standing is extremely important to me, and there is a reason I am able to yield the marks that I receive. It is due to the amount of time I invest it in. Once again, I apologize for my lack of diligence in updating this blog frequently enough and hope that you would all be understanding about the situation I am in. Thank you.