Onboard Msc Lirica

irnbru

Sitting here on the balcony picking up free wii fi from the cruise terminal. If anyone would like me to find out anything for them just ask and I will fo my best to find the answer.

I would love you to say anything other than about the Divina which has corrupted this whole MSC forum.

I will next be on Lirica's closest sister, the Armonia, please tell me where to go to escape the masses at different times of day. That would be splendid information.

How are you enjoying your cruise?

Regards,

Tim.

Hi

Great to see Lirica on the forum!

We're booked on her next Feb, so would love to know how many formal nights there are and when? We've only cruised on RCI so far so any tips/info would be greatly received. Subscribed!

Thanks

Heb

Hi

The ship is spotless. Most ports have free wifi but its very busy trying to get connected. We are in Kasab today. Just got a tablet 9 inch for 73pound. Stouch brand so hopeits ok.

Visa debit accepted on board no problem. Ship doesnt seem anywhere near full so plenty of loungers etc.

Theres a duty free at khor al fakkan. Ship staff not very vigilant at times.

Hi

Great to see Lirica on the forum!

We're booked on her next Feb, so would love to know how many formal nights there are and when? We've only cruised on RCI so far so any tips/info would be greatly received. Subscribed!

Thanks

Heb

Day 3 at sea and 2night thurs.

Hi

The ship is spotless. Most ports have free wifi but its very busy trying to get connected. We are in Kasab today. Just got a tablet 9 inch for 73pound. Stouch brand so hopeits ok.

Visa debit accepted on board no problem. Ship doesnt seem anywhere near full so plenty of loungers etc.

Theres a duty free at khor al fakkan. Ship staff not very vigilant at times.

Thank you for letting me know about the debit card, been panicking haha

Sounds like your having a great time! I'm about to start packing as just finished work! Excited! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hola

I am just about to book this cruise and wondered how you thought the Lirica compares to the other ships you have been on?

I have read your review, thanks for taking the time.

My OH doesn´t like garlic and I´m worried that I´m going to have to listen to him moaning the whole cruise about either being able to smell or taste it! Is the food laced with it or is it an acceptable level?

Is there plenty of room around the pool? And what was the weather like?

Thanks for all your help, Sharon

Hola

I am just about to book this cruise and wondered how you thought the Lirica compares to the other ships you have been on?

My OH doesn´t like garlic and I´m worried that I´m going to have to listen to him moaning the whole cruise about either being able to smell or taste it! Is the food laced with it or is it an acceptable level?

Can't ever recall there being an over abundance of garlic or garlic odour on any MSC sailing I've been on. Italian Italian food is not the same as British or American Italian food.

Weather is great in the Arabian Gulf during our winter. Lovely and warm and sunny all day long

Edited by AmoMondo

Hola

Which cruise date are you planning for? I have booked MSC Lirica for the 15th March sailing. There is a Roll Call for this but so far there is only myself and a family of four signed up. This will be my fourth visit to Dubai and my second cruise around the Emirates and Oman. My son is working for Emirates and I will be going out to spend time pre and post cruise with him and his family. If you decide on the same sailing then do join the Roll Call.

Regards

Suron (Suzanne in Bristol, UK)

Suzanne

We are going the week after you on the 22nd march , were still the only ones on the roll call, this will be our second time with msc. We were on the Preziosa in June and really enjoyed it, I know the lirica is smaller but hopefully we will enjoy it just the same....roll on March

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Forums mobile app

More help required, please :)

According to the MSC website if cruising the Med etc the on-board currency is Euro and if cruising the Caribbean & South America the currency is USDollar. No mention of the UAE, although it does say the Hotel Service Charge is payable in Euros.

Will the on-board account be in Euro? I have a Euro credit card which is the one I would prefer to use but need to make alternative arrangements if I have to pay in USDollar - the cost to use the Euro credit card for a different currency is astronomical!

Thanks everyone

More help required, please :)

According to the MSC website if cruising the Med etc the on-board currency is Euro and if cruising the Caribbean & South America the currency is USDollar. No mention of the UAE, although it does say the Hotel Service Charge is payable in Euros.

Will the on-board account be in Euro? I have a Euro credit card which is the one I would prefer to use but need to make alternative arrangements if I have to pay in USDollar - the cost to use the Euro credit card for a different currency is astronomical!

Thanks everyone

It will be euros. Onboard currency always matches the currency of the hotel charge.

I came back from this cruise last week (7th Dec) and i can say that it is a fantastic ship. Lovely and clean and well looked after.

Whoever asked about the garlic, i like garlic and I don't remember tasting OR smelling any at all, so no worries.

The food is delicious if you are on the set times. I cant say much about the buffet as I only used it the last night.

If your flying Emirates, be prepared for an early start on your return journey as all passengers were off the ship by 6am!

This is a good thing for when you arrive, as I was allowed to go in my room from 9.30, and as the flight arrived at 7am, it was perfect timing :-)

The currency on board the ship is Euros, and if you go on shore for trips then you need to take AEDs should you want to buy anything.

I did several trips organised by MSC and they were very good! As i was travelling alone, I didn't want to wander off and not get back to the ship in time :-p

I highly recommend the Barj Kalifer in Dubai - totally amazing views! This would be best through MSC as when we all arrived, the boards said that it was all sold out for the day we were there and the following day, so don't just turn up and expect to go up because you will be disappointed.

The beach trip that MSC organise in Khor al Fakkan is to the 5* Meridien hotel (Al Aqah Beach Resort)

This was a lovely relaxing excursion, although a few of us thought it was too short. We were there about 10am (20 mins from harbour) and we left at 1.30. Would have been nice to have longer to be able to use more of the hotel facilities (i.e. the pool and the outdoor bars/food places)

Muscat is beautiful! Sooo clean. If you go to the souk near the harbour then they will take euros should you want to buy anything (example cashmere pashmina for 5 Euros each)

On the Lirica there are plenty of sunbeds around the pool area, lots more on the sundeck (deck 12) which is away from the pools and a nice little sun trap.

On this cruise the gratuities were 7 euros a day, which I think is very well worth paying as the staff as so friendly and deserve it!

I gave my extra tips at the end to the ones I felt did more than they should have, but that is up to each individual.

I recommend the Allegrissimo drinks package especially book it before you go, or you will have 15% surcharge on top.

So nice buying drinks when you know you dont have to pay. This includes hot drinks, bottles of water and ice cream from the ice cream bar on the pool deck.

For the group I made friends with, we decided, the more we drink, the more we save :-)

If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to answer :-)

I came back from this cruise last week (7th Dec) and i can say that it is a fantastic ship. Lovely and clean and well looked after.

Whoever asked about the garlic, i like garlic and I don't remember tasting OR smelling any at all, so no worries.

The food is delicious if you are on the set times. I cant say much about the buffet as I only used it the last night.

If your flying Emirates, be prepared for an early start on your return journey as all passengers were off the ship by 6am!

This is a good thing for when you arrive, as I was allowed to go in my room from 9.30, and as the flight arrived at 7am, it was perfect timing :-)

The currency on board the ship is Euros, and if you go on shore for trips then you need to take AEDs should you want to buy anything.

I did several trips organised by MSC and they were very good! As i was travelling alone, I didn't want to wander off and not get back to the ship in time :-p

I highly recommend the Barj Kalifer in Dubai - totally amazing views! This would be best through MSC as when we all arrived, the boards said that it was all sold out for the day we were there and the following day, so don't just turn up and expect to go up because you will be disappointed.

The beach trip that MSC organise in Khor al Fakkan is to the 5* Meridien hotel (Al Aqah Beach Resort)

This was a lovely relaxing excursion, although a few of us thought it was too short. We were there about 10am (20 mins from harbour) and we left at 1.30. Would have been nice to have longer to be able to use more of the hotel facilities (i.e. the pool and the outdoor bars/food places)

Muscat is beautiful! Sooo clean. If you go to the souk near the harbour then they will take euros should you want to buy anything (example cashmere pashmina for 5 Euros each)

On the Lirica there are plenty of sunbeds around the pool area, lots more on the sundeck (deck 12) which is away from the pools and a nice little sun trap.

On this cruise the gratuities were 7 euros a day, which I think is very well worth paying as the staff as so friendly and deserve it!

I gave my extra tips at the end to the ones I felt did more than they should have, but that is up to each individual.

I recommend the Allegrissimo drinks package especially book it before you go, or you will have 15% surcharge on top.

So nice buying drinks when you know you dont have to pay. This includes hot drinks, bottles of water and ice cream from the ice cream bar on the pool deck.

For the group I made friends with, we decided, the more we drink, the more we save :-)

If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to answer :-)

Lovely to read such a positive review - really informative - thank you!

We're doing this itinerary in Feb so will no doubt have some more questions - but for now would love to know your thoughts on the formal nights. We love dressing up but some reviews indicate that not many do on Lirica? With flight luggage restrictions we need to make a balanced decision!

Also, which UK airport did you fly from?

Many thanks

Thanks Hebbi67, loads of info for us! It was me who mentioned the garlic, picky husband ;)

After reading your review I am really glad I booked. What time is the fixed dining? Our TA told us 7pm or 9pm but would like to double-check as I have read conflicting reports.

Are pool towels readily available around the pool or do you have to exchange them with the cabin steward?

Also, the hairdryer - is it one of those useless hose-types in the bathroom?

Thanks for all your help :)

Lovely to read such a positive review - really informative - thank you!

We're doing this itinerary in Feb so will no doubt have some more questions - but for now would love to know your thoughts on the formal nights. We love dressing up but some reviews indicate that not many do on Lirica? With flight luggage restrictions we need to make a balanced decision!

Also, which UK airport did you fly from?

Many thanks

Thank you, glad you found it helpful :-)

The formal nights there are two. One on the Monday (Day at Sea) and the 2nd is on the Thursday (Khasab)

There are many people that dress up, and obviously there are the few that think they look 'cool' in shorts :rolleyes:

I personally enjoy that side of it, so I dressed up!

If you are flying with Emirates, then your luggage allowance will be 30kgs and hand luggage i had a small 21 inch case that went on board with me no problems.

I flew from Heathrow on EK004 and returned on EK029 (if that helps!)

Thanks Hebbi67, loads of info for us! It was me who mentioned the garlic, picky husband ;)

After reading your review I am really glad I booked. What time is the fixed dining? Our TA told us 7pm or 9pm but would like to double-check as I have read conflicting reports.

Are pool towels readily available around the pool or do you have to exchange them with the cabin steward?

Also, the hairdryer - is it one of those useless hose-types in the bathroom?

Thanks for all your help :)

If you mean me, thank you :p

The dinings are 7pm and 9.30pm.

I was originally on the early one, but ended up on the 2nd. I wasnt happy at the time, but in the end it was nicer as I got ready for the show (7.45pm) each evening then went to have a pre dinner drink in one of the bars, then had dinner.

The pool towels are provided near the pool. You show your cruise card and they hand you a ticket and they give you a lovely bright orange towel :eek::D

When you have finished with them, you hand them back, along with your ticket or you will be charged for each towel not returned.

Hairdryers: I had one in my bathroom,a nd i was very surprised how good it was! Some of my 'dinner friends' were in a balcony suite, and they did not have a hairdryer at all in their room.

Oh, another tip - you have a safety deposit box in your room. Some people didnt find it until the last day so to forward tell you it is in a cupboard BEHIND the mirror ;)

If you mean me, thank you :p

The dinings are 7pm and 9.30pm.

I was originally on the early one, but ended up on the 2nd. I wasnt happy at the time, but in the end it was nicer as I got ready for the show (7.45pm) each evening then went to have a pre dinner drink in one of the bars, then had dinner.

The pool towels are provided near the pool. You show your cruise card and they hand you a ticket and they give you a lovely bright orange towel :eek::D

When you have finished with them, you hand them back, along with your ticket or you will be charged for each towel not returned.

Hairdryers: I had one in my bathroom,a nd i was very surprised how good it was! Some of my 'dinner friends' were in a balcony suite, and they did not have a hairdryer at all in their room.

Oh, another tip - you have a safety deposit box in your room. Some people didnt find it until the last day so to forward tell you it is in a cupboard BEHIND the mirror ;)

And behind the mirror is where the proper hairdryers are in the balcony suites. On a shelf above the safe. Not wall mounted in the bathroom as in other cabin categories