Ubp (i know, i know)

jbtyler927

I apologize because I know there are a million threads about the UBP, but that is why new threads become almost necessary due to millions of responses to comb through to find an answer so thanks for the info in advance :D

On NCL is the UBP really unlimited or is there a per day limit on the amount of drinks you can get?

Can someone that has used the UBP please post the list of drinks included (I have seen it before, but I cannot find it now)?

Thanks, you guys rock!!:cool:

Come on, seriously?!?

It's really unlimited. No limit. As in there is no limit. Specifically, there is zero limit. No limit. Did I mention there is no limit... unless you are falling down drunk. Then they cut you off in alignment with the ship's standard alcohol abuse policy.

List...

http://mrose.org/cc/BeverageBrandsList2013.pdf

Alcohol policy...

http://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

Edited by triptolemus

I apologize because I know there are a million threads about the UBP, but that is why new threads become almost necessary due to millions of responses to comb through to find an answer so thanks for the info in advance :D

On NCL is the UBP really unlimited or is there a per day limit on the amount of drinks you can get?

Can someone that has used the UBP please post the list of drinks included (I have seen it before, but I cannot find it now)?

Thanks, you guys rock!!:cool:

New threads are necessary because of the vast number of existing replies? HUH ?:confused:

Are you really saying that there are already so many answers that the only way to get the one you want is to add more answers to the pile? :rolleyes:

Limits. There are only so many days in a cruise, so many hours in a day, and so much alcohol that the body can tolerate. There is ALWAYS a limit. Try asking the same question the other way: "I NEED to have ____ drinks on a daily basis, is this too many under the UBP??"

I do *sort of* see the OPs point. The thread titled "UPB let's get facts..." is really short on facts and full of debate about whether the UBP is "worth it" - over and over and over. Just about every thread about the UBP eventually has someone show up and flex their moral superiority above others. Its tiring and difficult to wade through that stuff. The forums here could use a good dose of real moderation.

But that's no excuse for not skimming the thread to find the answers. Seems that OP wants to be "hand held" rather than read and find the answers on their own, which to me seems a bit disrespectful of others' time.

I do *sort of* see the OPs point. The thread titled "UPB let's get facts..." is really short on facts and full of debate about whether the UBP is "worth it" - over and over and over. Just about every thread about the UBP eventually has someone show up and flex their moral superiority above others. Its tiring and difficult to wade through that stuff. The forums here could use a good dose of real moderation.

But that's no excuse for not skimming the thread to find the answers. Seems that OP wants to be "hand held" rather than read and find the answers on their own, which to me seems a bit disrespectful of others' time.

Couldn't agree more...well said.

To add to your point, I think a lot of confusion comes from people not utilizing the proper resource. For example, in seeking an opinion on an aspect, CC is a great place for answers/research. However, when looking for factual information (that which is not subject to personal interpretation) then we should be consulting the PAID TRAVEL PROFESSIONALS entrusted with our booking and/or the Cruise Line itself.

Come on, seriously?!?

It's really unlimited. No limit. As in there is no limit. Specifically, there is zero limit. No limit. Did I mention there is no limit... unless you are falling down drunk. Then they cut you off in alignment with the ship's standard alcohol abuse policy.

List...

http://mrose.org/cc/BeverageBrandsList2013.pdf

Alcohol policy...

http://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

Thanks!! :) The reason I asked if there was a limit is other cruise lines are putting limits on the drinks per day (i.e. Celebrity).

To the other responding, no disrespect meant to anyone :), but just to play devils advocate, your answers are the exact reason people cannot find the answers in the other posts. People feel the need to respond to every post on here (even if it is just to say don't post or the person is so disrespectful) and that is why you cannot find the actual information you are looking for... LIKE THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION THE PERSON ASKED!!!

Thanks Tript for supplying that thread. I've read that martini's aren't covered, just as margarita's... however for a dry martini or dirty martini, both ingrediants are "highlighted" (except the olive brine)... so you just get one shot at a time? LOL! and mix them yourself at the table? ;):D

It's the anonymity of the internet. It allows people's real personalities to surface. Unfortunately some of those personalities are less than desirable.

To the OP, the UBP doesn't have a daily limit. It's a fair question because I know other cruise lines (Carnival) do and one can assume its applicable to NCL.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks (for both the answer and for saying what I was thinking)! I love CC and have been using it to help plan my cruises for a couple of years. It always does amaze me how some people comment on every post and it is usually something negative that has nothing to do with what the person is asking. I am not easily offended so it does not bother me (and I get my answers eventually), but it is not very inviting for new people just joining! Then there are others that make us laugh and it makes up for the cranky ones:)

On a side note, I am pretty sure that every question on here has been asked at least 50+ times so I am not claiming to be either intelligent or original with my questions, just simply using the awesome tool we have been given of CC to get answers from real people that have experienced it! I am sure my "dumb" question helped others, just like other posts that have been criticized have helped me!! Therefore, I will keep reading posts that interest me, I will keep asking questions that I want to know, people will choose to respond with answers, comments, or criticisms, and we will all go to bed happy! :D

Don't worry... A couple hours into that UBP and you won't remember any of this.

Thanks (for both the answer and for saying what I was thinking)! I love CC and have been using it to help plan my cruises for a couple of years. It always does amaze me how some people comment on every post and it is usually something negative that has nothing to do with what the person is asking. I am not easily offended so it does not bother me (and I get my answers eventually), but it is not very inviting for new people just joining! Then there are others that make us laugh and it makes up for the cranky ones:)

On a side note, I am pretty sure that every question on here has been asked at least 50+ times so I am not claiming to be either intelligent or original with my questions, just simply using the awesome tool we have been given of CC to get answers from real people that have experienced it! I am sure my "dumb" question helped others, just like other posts that have been criticized have helped me!! Therefore, I will keep reading posts that interest me, I will keep asking questions that I want to know, people will choose to respond with answers, comments, or criticisms, and we will all go to bed happy! :D

And to the OP, there really is no extensive list of what's included in the UBP, it's price driven and experiences have varied from ship to ship at times.

I'd alter this slightly. There is an official listing of what is and is not included, but this is definitely a YMMV endeavor.

I have read posts of people being hassled over specific drinks and I have also read posts where people were able to order anything and the barkeep made it work within the UBP. YMMV!

I have read posts of people being hassled over specific drinks and I have also read posts where people were able to order anything and the barkeep made it work within the UBP.
I would love to get to the bottom of this. First of all, I can understand that there may have been confusion and inconsistency when the program was first introduced fleet-wide, so we should only take very recent reports into account. In this thread, for example, people reported drinking Grey Goose and $8.75 cocktails on the UBP on several different cruises just last month, even though these are supposed to be excluded. And none of these folks boasted about "taking care" of their bartenders, so I don't have the impression that they were getting special treatment as big tippers. So what's going on?

It would be useful if anyone with similar, recent experience could post their receipts here. I'd like to know if the drinks are actually rung up as "Grey Goose" or "Martini $8.75" etc. and if the indication "UBP" appears anywhere in print on the receipt.

I would love to get to the bottom of this. First of all, I can understand that there may have been confusion and inconsistency when the program was first introduced fleet-wide, so we should only take very recent reports into account. In this thread, for example, people reported drinking Grey Goose and $8.75 cocktails on the UBP on several different cruises just last month, even though these are supposed to be excluded. And none of these folks boasted about "taking care" of their bartenders, so I don't have the impression that they were getting special treatment as big tippers. So what's going on?

It would be useful if anyone with similar, recent experience could post their receipts here. I'd like to know if the drinks are actually rung up as "Grey Goose" or "Martini $8.75" etc. and if the indication "UBP" appears anywhere in print on the receipt.

NO print of UBP on receipt. They ALL put it in writing on their copies of the receipt.

2 weeks ago we had 2 mimosa at 9$ each and they were included because they are considered wine ( proseco ) but we didn't know until the last night of the cruise when they removed all drinks from our onboard account.

We had PLENTY of martini's who were made with Grey goose ( like written in the drink menu at the bar ) and were ALL included. Many martini's include "upscale" liquor and are listed at 8,50$ or less....so included :p

NO print of UBP on receipt. They ALL put it in writing on their copies of the receipt.
OK, that's good to know. So maybe on their side they have to manually confirm (or override) the UBP when they go through the receipts at the end of the night. I really wish they'd make it more transparent on the customer's copy, but maybe they don't want us to have too much of a paper trail.

I guess the key is to ask when ordering, if there's any uncertainty. So far I haven't heard any recent reports of people being told misleadingly that their drink would be included in the UBP, only to be charged extra for it at the end of the cruise. So that's a positive point. And hopefully the bar staff are trained to warn people with UBP stickers when they order something that's not included.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

So here is a question I have not seen(at least I don't think I have, and I have read all UBP posts), if you have a cash account for on board account and have UBP and they are deducting from account each drink until end of cruise when they zero bar bill, do you have to keep adding money to account to cover drinks to just at the end have a big account with money left that will then be send to you in a check some 30 days after your cruise ( I know credit card would be better to use, just like control with cash account).

That is a good question, and one that was discussed briefly in an earlier thread:

UBP a question about purchasing

However, the opinions in that discussion are now several months old, and we know that the details of the UBP have changed since then. If I were you, I would re-post your question in that thread (or start a new thread) and try to see if someone has a more recent experience to report. There is a lot of "noise" in this thread [EDIT: thank you to the moderators who have now removed a lot of it! :)] and I think your question deserves a dedicated discussion.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

So here is a question I have not seen(at least I don't think I have, and I have read all UBP posts), if you have a cash account for on board account and have UBP and they are deducting from account each drink until end of cruise when they zero bar bill, do you have to keep adding money to account to cover drinks to just at the end have a big account with money left that will then be send to you in a check some 30 days after your cruise ( I know credit card would be better to use, just like control with cash account).

They don't "zero the bar bill" at the end of the cruise. On the Jewel in September, we never had a bar balance associated with the UBP. Ever. Someone does not sit there and manually do a reversal in the computer for each transaction nor do they enter a single credit manually to reverse or zero out the bar bill. It just doesn't work that way.