Tampa Pre-Cruise Logistics

cyndyt

Due to a figure skating competition, my 3 sons and 1 girlfriend will be driving to Tampa, while myself and 2 daughters will be flying in late the night before the cruise. To further complicate matters, after the cruise we will be doing the aquarium so that daughter can do the penguin encounter, and then we have tickets to a Tampa Bay Lightning game. With all the excursions I am trying to save some money on hotel and parking.

Here is what I am debating, please, anyone who knows Tampa, give me suggestions:

1. Cheapish hotel that has airport shuttle so my son doesn't have to try to figure out how to pick us up late at night in a strange city, but also is somewhat on his route into Tampa I-75/275 so he won't get lost finding it.

2. Do we use free hotel cruise parking or park at the Port, remembering that we will be doing the hockey game (starts at 7pm)? I haven't been able to determine if we can stay parked at Port until after the game is over. Is it easy to drive around Tampa? Is downtown event parking easy to find if we need to shuttle back to our vehicle and drive downtown? This would be on a Saturday.

Thank you.

I can help with your first question: Several hotels in the Rocky Point area are often suggested here - Chase Suites, Hampton Inn, etc. -- including free airport and port shuttles. There are shopping and dining areas nearby - leave your car there and use the shuttles; you should be able to return to your car after the penguin encounter via shuttle or cab.

Try the Howard Johnson Plaza in downtown Tampa. It is budget friendly, on the downtown trolley line and also offers free transportation to several downtown areas such as the port, aquarium and the location where the Lightening play. I'm not sure if they have a cruise parking pkg but it may be worth checking out. No airport shuttle, but decent downtown location for the price.

http://www.howardjohnsonplazatampa.com/

Also check out the LaQuinta Tampa airport - good rates, good area, airport shuttle.

Good luck to you.

Edited by CoquinaKeyNereid

I'm not 100% certain, but I think if you use the port parking garage you will not be able to leave your car there until after the game. But even if not, there is relatively inexpensive parking available nearby, both in a short-term parking garage and in an outdoor lot that is next to the Channelside entertainment complex (which is a short walk from the hockey arena).

If you are going before the end of January, there is a Groupon for the Florida Aquarium that will save you quite a bit. $29 for 2 people which comes to $14.50 each. Florida Aquarium $29 Groupon

This is walking distance from the ship, right? I would be liking to do it with my sister as we have a very late flight. She just had a hip replacement so I need to be able to walk with her. Also, is there still a service to leave luggage here. Trying to remember back to when I was here last with out my other sister that used to live near and drove me. Was sorry to see her move back to MI.