Have FTTF, better to check-in at terminal or MIA airport?

gtonda

Looking for some tips/advice. We are flying into FLL and spending the night. I rented a large passenger van from National that we will drive to Miami the next day, and drop of at MIA airport.

We have purchased FTTF and I am wondering which scenario would be best?

1. Take everyone to airport with me, return car, check-in at Carnival desk (Don't know how far of a trek across the airport this may be), take National shuttle to pier.

2. Drop everyone else off at pier, take van back to National, take National shuttle (alone) back to pier, meet the rest of the family and check in at the pier.

We rented a van because I want to get us to the pier early, and since we have FTTF is there any advantage to checking in at the airport? It would probably have to be a BIG advantage since we would have 10 people lugging suitcases from rental return to Carnival desk.

Thank you

Looking for some tips/advice. We are flying into FLL and spending the night. I rented a large passenger van from National that we will drive to Miami the next day, and drop of at MIA airport.

OP - Sorry I don't have any experience cruising out of Miami yet, but we're planning on doing something similar with a group of 8 people. I was planning on staying at a local Ft. Lauderdale Airport hotel, renting a 15 passenger van and requesting they take out the last seat to accommodate all of the luggage. I was wondering the same thing regarding taking full advantage of the FTTF. I was planning on dropping off the other 7 at the pier and just meeting up with them after I turn in the rental van at the airport

Since I'm the one with the most cruising experience, I was planning on being back at the port at 10:30ish. So I would likely have to drop off the others at around 9:30ish? Any thoughts?

We'll be staying 3 days in Florida before the cruise and plan on driving from Ft. Lauderdale to the Everglades/ Key West before heading back to Miami.

Any worry about using a large passenger van? Google "15 passenger van" and you'll find a lot of accusations about them being prone to flipping over and extensive side damage in the case of an accident. I was also looking at renting a Sprinter van but its a lot more expensive.

Did you find any convenient and cheap Ft. Lauderdale airport hotels?

Back to your specific question, sorry as I didn't mean to change the topic, does anyone else know if there is any advantage to checking in at the airport?

Edited by LAdad

1. Take everyone to airport with me, return car, check-in at Carnival desk (Don't know how far of a trek across the airport this may be), take National shuttle to pier.

2. Drop everyone else off at pier, take van back to National, take National shuttle (alone) back to pier, meet the rest of the family and check in at the pier.

We rented a van because I want to get us to the pier early, and since we have FTTF is there any advantage to checking in at the airport? It would probably have to be a BIG advantage since we would have 10 people lugging suitcases from rental return to Carnival desk.

Thank you

I just did something like what you are stating. First off, the rental drop off is a huge long walk back to where the check in counter is at the airport. I would drop everyone and luggage off at the port. Then return van. catch a cab from the rental car drop off to the port where you can meet your party and check in with them.

That way, you avoid needing two cabs. Only one cab is needed. You may even find someone to share a cab with on the way back to the port. I just asked if anyone was interested in sharing a cab to the port. no problems.

good luck & have fun.