Age in Discos

cookiejarvis

Traveling with our 17 year old daughter for New Years Eve. We want her to be with us and not alone for New Years Eve. Can she join us in a lounge at her age? Certainly not drinking, but want her near.

Carnival has a policy to restrict anyone under the age of 18 years old into the main disco after 11 PM. http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Teen_Program.aspx

Edited by christmas

And for those who are age 18 or over but look young, security will also ask for a photo ID. Sail and sign card is not enough so carry a drivers license. I know of a 21 year old who had to show her photo ID every time she entered the disco. On that same cruise, my 17 year old son kept trying to get in to the disco and was never allowed. They were very strict. On the other hand, I also know of a 16 year old who not only was allowed into the R rated hypnotist show (supposed to be 18 and over), she was chosen to participate up on the stage. :rolleyes:

And for those who are age 18 or over but look young, security will also ask for a photo ID. Sail and sign card is not enough so carry a drivers license. I know of a 21 year old who had to show her photo ID every time she entered the disco. On that same cruise, my 17 year old son kept trying to get in to the disco and was never allowed. They were very strict. On the other hand, I also know of a 16 year old who not only was allowed into the R rated hypnotist show (supposed to be 18 and over), she was chosen to participate up on the stage. :rolleyes:

Mine too!

I agree with the previous posters, the real party is up on Lido. There's also a balloon drop in the atrium (at least there was on our two New Years cruises) that is a lot of fun for everyone.

But there is one point I want to bring up, if you are mature enough to have a 17 year old daughter you will probably not enjoy the music in the "disco" anyways. My wife and I love all kinds of music and one of our favorite places to spend time on a boat has always been the "disco" but things are changing fast. They do a wonderful 10pm - 11pm theme hour (Country, 70's, Michael Jackson, etc) and there is usually a bunch of folks dancing during that hour, but at straight up 11pm they start with very hard core rap/R&B. The DJ actually clears the floor with their musical selections.

On our recent Elation trip we met up with some friends there just to try to enjoy a little dancing, stayed for 1 1/5 hours sitting there hoping they would play something "dance-able" (yes, we were determined to dance) but no... actually there were five 20-ish guys "dancing" (okay standing around) on the dance floor the entire time. Not menacing or anything, just standing and bobbing their heads occasionally doing a little dance. No one else got on the floor the entire time. People were walking in, taking a look/listen then turning around and leaving.

The DJ's are worse now than they have ever been. DW and I love to dance, but (at least in the dance clubs) the DJ's are catering to the 18-20 year olds and not the passengers that actually pay for these kids to be there. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

They played a lot of hip-hop which was fun for someone with teens or those pretending to be teens. Timing is important because I partied with some ladies that would dance to any and everything. Heck they were dancing with and without music. It was Carnival and Magic. Just make whatever music move you.!

Blurred Lines, Holy Grail, Popping Tags, be ready!

10680127554_9d499b02fd.jpg

[/url] ,

10680075075_574c274ba0.jpg

10680075605_0cc76bfb03.jpg

Edited by Blk_Amish

I agree with the previous posters, the real party is up on Lido. There's also a balloon drop in the atrium (at least there was on our two New Years cruises) that is a lot of fun for everyone.

But there is one point I want to bring up, if you are mature enough to have a 17 year old daughter you will probably not enjoy the music in the "disco" anyways. My wife and I love all kinds of music and one of our favorite places to spend time on a boat has always been the "disco" but things are changing fast. They do a wonderful 10pm - 11pm theme hour (Country, 70's, Michael Jackson, etc) and there is usually a bunch of folks dancing during that hour, but at straight up 11pm they start with very hard core rap/R&B. The DJ actually clears the floor with their musical selections.

On our recent Elation trip we met up with some friends there just to try to enjoy a little dancing, stayed for 1 1/5 hours sitting there hoping they would play something "dance-able" (yes, we were determined to dance) but no... actually there were five 20-ish guys "dancing" (okay standing around) on the dance floor the entire time. Not menacing or anything, just standing and bobbing their heads occasionally doing a little dance. No one else got on the floor the entire time. People were walking in, taking a look/listen then turning around and leaving.

The DJ's are worse now than they have ever been. DW and I love to dance, but (at least in the dance clubs) the DJ's are catering to the 18-20 year olds and not the passengers that actually pay for these kids to be there. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Our experience too........not one club for us baby boomers. If Carnival reads these boards don't ya think you can play a bit of Motown and Oldies?? We are friends with bands, you even hired one 20 plus years ago, and they brought the house down. An empty dance floor is a Bad thing.....fire the DJ's and at least play wedding music. Not all your passengers like rap!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Our son was 14 on the Dream and he was able to go into the club at 10 pm for the Michael Jackson hour. Each cruise since, he has not been allowed in the club. He is a HUGE MJ fan and wins dance contests all the time, but he has not been allowed in the clubs at 10pm, which has upset us. He is looking forward to 2015 when they won't be able to tell him no.