"What did you bring that for?"

Just a funny little story: I just got back from the NCL Dawn w/my DH & 2boys.

I had brought 2 suitcases & a garment bag with a dark suit for my husband & older son, 2 slacks for DH, 2 fancy dresses for me, and dress shirts that I was trying not to get wrinkled. Not too bad I thought. Well, after the Formal Night on Day 2, everything changed.(Don't forget, this is a freestyle ship.) The kids ended up dressing casual, eating early at the buffet & going to the camp. Two of my skirts & this one tight dress already were too small by the time I tried them on (what is it with that darn cruise air?). My DH was getting lazier & lazier to get all dolled up, and wore khakis every night. And I realized that since we had no other people traveling w/us, the chances of anyone noticing that I had on the same, comfortable black slacks (but a different top) were very small.

So, at the end of the cruise, I was in front of this elderly lady when we were

getting off the ship & I was moaning about how heavy the garment bag was (the kind where you have to hold it by the hangers.) She asked me "What's in the bag?" and I replied suites & dresses. And she said "What'd you bring that

for?" And for the life of me, I sure as he** don't know... ;)

Experience is always the best teacher!

I think that is what vacation is for, to relax and not worry so much. The formal wear is fine, especially on a traditional cruise, but freestyle you really can take a break from it.

I went through a similar experience on our first Hawaiian cruise. I still have a couple dresses from that cruise that I still haven't worn. But, I can't part with them, they are so pretty and I just know those extra lbs. will com off sometime soon! DH, however, thought this way of packing was great, since we had lots of choices. Now, I have to curb his packing!

It sounds like you had a good time (lazy and relaxed), welcome back.

Archived