I need to Decide on Beliz!

cruisecrzy

Please help us, those of you who have snorkeled Beliz. We need to make a decision soon on either Goff's or Caye Caulker. I want to see color, variety, don't care too much about stingrays or sharks, have seen them before. Do we go with a ship tour or independant?

Thanks!

Please help us, those of you who have snorkeled Beliz. We need to make a decision soon on either Goff's or Caye Caulker. I want to see color, variety, don't care too much about stingrays or sharks, have seen them before. Do we go with a ship tour or independant?

Thanks!

Do Caye Caulker. It is BEAUITFUL! I never been to Goff's but I been to Caye Caulker and would go back there in a heartbeat.

Thanks!

We will be in Belize on 7/28/05 on the Elation. I have been unable to locate any independent excursions for Goff's Caye as this is where we would like to go - the ship sounds like the only option for it. Have a great cruise!

Just got off Glory on Sat. We did Cay Caulker. It was so much fun. We were picked up by a huge beautiful catamaran right from the ship. Friends did the other excursion you were talking about and were picked up by a little boat. Said the island was very tiny with 4 palm trees on it. They didn't like it but everyone has different feelings about eveything. If I went again I would do sharks and sting rays again and there were also beautiful fish at the stop by the coral reef Have fun.

I would like to know more about the snorkeling at both places. We love the beach, but will probably spend most of our time in the water. How much time did you have to snorkel at Cay aulker Grannypatttttt?

Did you snorkel at Goff's anyone?

We did Goff's Caye in April on the Glory. The tender picked us right up at the ship and took us to the Caye. It was lovely and the snorkeling good. Not as good as snorkeling at Chanakaab on Cozumel though. Goff's Caye worked out great for us in that we were back on the ship around lunch time, showered, had lunch on the ship and then tendered into town. Have heard good reviews about Caye Caulker. I would go with the ship's tour though. Getting a tender ticket is difficult without a ship sponsored tour and I wouldn't want to be worrying about getting there, back, etc. but that's just me. Grand Cayman is a tender port but the ride is very short - it's much longer in Belize. If we were to go to Belize again (maybe the Valor next year) I would do the ruins and River Wallace tour. Have heard great things on this board as well as from passengers on our cruise in April. Have fun!

Thanks!

I did the Shark/Ray Alley excursion with Coral Breeze. It includes the stop to Caye Caulker. I thought it was a nice expierence. Caye Caulker is a cute little quaint island. It's not much of a beach and is on a Caye - but Belize doesn't have any real beaches anyway. The town of Caye Caulker is adorable.

The snorkeling consists of 2 stops - Coral Gardens & Shark/Ray Alley. At Coral Gardens, we had some strong currents. I followed through ok but a few of my friends found it to be a little tough. I didn't find the corals to be colorful at all. I wanted to see some nice colorful coral but everything was yellow and brown. But it was nice swimming through the coral.

The sharks and sting rays are very friendly. We didn't interact with them but they stuck around the entire time that we were there.

Lunch at Caye Caulker was very good. I suggest the local food. We had an hour at the beach. The boat ride to and from thepier was nice. The water was so beautiful and we got to see a few dolphins. The people at Coral Breeze are wonderful and very helpful. Just don't expect to see colorful coral.

You may want to try some of these shops in Belize who are dealers of my products. They are actually dive shops but may be very helpful in information. I have only spent time in Ambergris Caye and loved it.

Try this link

http://www.scubadorag.com/coco/links/AtlanticLinks.asp

Also make sure to protect your scalp, hair and skin while snorkeling. The sun is magnified in water and you're bobbing on the surface like a cork - easy to burn. You may also use some organic conditioner on your hair and contain it in a headcovering such as a ScubaDoRag. If your hair is long, you can put it in a ponytail and place in the SecretCompartment of the Patented hat.

Some destinations have thimble jellies or sea lice - not really painful but aggrevating small bumps that itch. They hang out at the surface and affect uncovered areas such as your neck. Some of my customers wear lightweight hoods - ScubaGoodHoods - to prevent this. In Cozumel it is usually in the spring - you may want to ask the shops for your destination if there is any such annual happenings in their waters.

As a precaution, visit a dive shop and buy some jelly fish sting medicine - makes a lot of difference if you need it.

Also with sand, sun and a life jacket, be sure to think about wearing a rash guard such as Shoods and Shoodn'ts.

And if you are wearing fins, you do not want to blister - wear some ScubaTubeSocks.

Here is more information

www.scubadorag.com

Try this site or you can visit some dealers in Belize, Cozumel, St. Croix, Turks & Caicos and other dealers listed in Links. Fast shipping, excellent customer service.

ScubaDoRag - Stylish Do in fabulous fabrics for containing and protecting hair, scalp and hair color from the sun and wind with a Secret Compartment for ponytail or key, ID, credit card. Will not blow off because it stretches - great for exercise, bad hair day, snorkeling/scuba. Unisex and kids, too.

CoCoCoverUp - reversible skirt in yummy fabrics

Shoods and Shoodn'ts - Funky rash guards - Shirt with or without Hood- can order with short or long sleeves. Very comfortable, protection form sun use above or below the sea. Made of bathing suit and cycling jersey fabrics for comfort, style and quick drying performance.

ScubaTubeSocks - for happy feet in sandals or fins. Ease in performing wetsuit dance and so no blisters with fins.

ScubaGoodHood- lightweight hood for snorkeling/scuba. http://www.ScubaDoRag.com www.scubadorag.com

The ship docks miles from the pier, so if you can book a dive where the dive boat picks you up at the ship it is worth every penny. I know the scuba outfit thru the ship does that, even the independents will bring you back to the ship at least avoiding 1 tender leg. Being picked up at the ship means you don't need the tenders and are already 1/2 way to the dive site. Maybe the snorkel tour is the same.

My vote is for Goff's Caye if you just want to snorkle and don't care about the stingrays. I posted a long review of Goff's on the Belize board - look for my review there. Others in our party liked Caye Caulker, but they wanted to do the stingray thing.

Debbie

Archived