disposable underwater camera or cheap digital underwater camera

Kidless cruiser

This will be our 2nd cruise, first was 10 years ago. back then we used disposable underwater cameras for snorkeling and they developed very nicely. i have heard that it is hard to find a place to get these developed now. Is this true? If so is a cheap (under $50) digital camera going to work well enough to get decent pictures?

I was going to buy a disposable, but after reading the ratings on Amazon, I dug up my old compact digital and started looking for underwater casings. If you have a compact digital, search on google or amazon for a housing. I am getting a Polaroid Dive-Rated Waterproof Camera Housing, it's only 20 bucks and says it fits virtually all cameras. You could go buy a cheap camera and search for the polaroid housing that fits....

Anyway, that's what I am doing. Enjoy your trip!!!!

I saw a Pentax brand waterproof to 33 ft this morning in one of the newspaper ads for not too much--I think around $80. Sunday newspaper..........OOPS, went back to the ad from Target Pentax WG10, 14 megapixel with a 5x optical zoom is ...ta Dahhh-$120.

Edited by jimw
corrected info

last time I used u/w disposables, purchased at Target. Target and CVS still develop film last time I checked.

The SeaLife Mini II is a true underwater digital camera safe to 130 feet u/w and shock proof fm 6 ft

retail $260 avail now for $100

http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-535/168174/Sealife-Mini-2-Underwater-Dive-Camera.html?gclid=CP-W0pHrj7sCFUMV7AodtQ0ATA

Edited by Capt_BJ

I had good luck with a canon powershot in a Dicapac case for $25-30. The only hitch I ran into was to turn off the power saving mode. The lens need to fit in a tube in the casing when the camera powers on. Doing this in the water was difficult. There is a camera setting for disabling it. Took pretty good pictures under water at Grand Cayman.

I agree with the above poster about the Dicapac casings. I got the Dicapac One for my Samsung point and shoot, and I fits great. Haven't tested it out yet since our cruise isn't until Feb, but it held up to the kitchen sink quite well! I got it for $20 from Walmart's website.

I would advise to look really closely at the reviews for the digital underwater cameras. My coworker has had several, and she has yet to buy one that lasts more than a year. Apparently every time the sealing around the battery case is what goes, since you take the battery in and out so much to charge it.

I had a Panasonic underwater camera which took fabulous pics on land and underwater, but I forgot to follow directions on how to prepare it and care for it after underwater trips and somehow the entire thing self destructed. Ignorance did it in.

I then bought a cheap underwater regular camera, (couldn't find a name brand like kodak or Fuji), and the stupid thing stopped advancing after 5 or 6 shots, so the other 30 potential pictures were lost. Developing what I had wasn't a problem at Walgreens, and I was able to get a CD at the same time with the shots converted to digital.

Apparently, the Panasonic Ts1 had some inherent leak problems, which is what I experienced. Other cameras probably do a better job, but I would definitely check the ratings.

Or, like other posters have suggested, get a Dicapac housing. There's lots of different models, so make sure you get the one that works with your specific camera. They work well to keep out all water. Just play with your camera in the housing on land for awhile first and get used to it. Manipulating camera buttons can be challenging through the plastic, and you don't want to be fishing for buttons as the octopus slides under a rock!

• 1 month later...