Help! Sailing with 18 month old... Need cabin and other RCI advice

Hi everyone,

We're seriously looking at RCI for our next cruise, late next year when our DS is 18 months old. We know it'll be a challenge but we love cruising and already miss it as our last one was a year ago (Singapore to Sydney).

We decided RCI because of the nursery for under 3 little ones and babysitting and we can pre order baby supplies.

We've read some threads already on traveling with kids, but extra advice about cruising with a 1.5 year old would be welcome (though I know these threads can sometimes turn into parenting styles arguments, so I hope we can avoid that).

Our experience with RCI is just a three night Mexico from long beach many years ago and DW did a 7 night Mexico with a friend a few years ago.

Our recent cruises together, though, have been crystal (honeymoon), princess (dawn in New Zealand; old ship), and celebrity solstice last year.

We realise RCI will be different!

We're thinking of splurging on a junior suite (never had a suite before) to celebrate our birthdays and to have more room for DS. Also, the sailing we're looking at (Oct 20 Sydney->Perth on radiance OTS) has lots of sea days and (some reviews say) not great ports.

Thoughts about any of the above?

Babysitting, dinner seating times, nursery...

Also, the two aft JS cabins are taken so recommendations for others are welcome. One of the accessible JS cabins is available but I'm not sure of the rules or etiquette taking them.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'm not sure how big the suite is as I've never been in one but just something to consider would be having two connecting cabins. Might make it easier for little one to sleep?

As for other suggestions, our daughter was 2 when we cruised, we found a stroller was essential. One that is narrow enough to fit through the cabin door but delux enough that it has a basket and can recline. Our daughter napped all around the ship - MDR, pool deck, etc. It was key in port too and at the airport.

Other suggestions - snacks for your cabin when you want to give a little snack but don't want to go get something.

Bring some toys but look into toy lending on your ship (never done it myself but heard others mention it).

If your child happens to be potty training around then maybe hold off b/c it's hard to do on a cruise.

A JS is about the size of a hotel room....lots of space...just make sure it will accomodate 3....even if one is a baby, there has to be bedding for all of you! If an HC JS is offered, that means no one needs it....if they give it to you, no problem. I wouldn't want it with a kid, tho...no tub! Only a roll-in shower. That won't help with bathing your child...a tub makes life easier with small children!

A JS doorway is larger than a standard cabin...a stroller will fit no problem. Just know that they don't consider a JS a "suite"...except for boarding, you don't get any other "suite" perks. But...you aren't paying the "suite" price either! We love JS's!

Do the dining room for dinner....they will take excellent care of your family! Pick either early seating or MTD....late seating is too late for small kids, I've found.

Have you ck out disney. It is great. They help out a lot for the kids. And the best of all the cabins have 2 bathrooms. Yes 2

They realize that families travel so they have a toilet and sink in one room and then in the other room they have a toilet ,sink and bathtub shower in the other room. Were can you get this in a regular cabin? They also have a private pool area for adults only

They have special nights for everyone. Example. Grandparent night ,single parent night adoptive parent night every thing.

I did a disney cruise for our daughter but in the end I loved it. We had been on cruises before but we did not expect the kind of service that disney provided and know we understand why it has very high ratings Well worth the money !!!

Thank you for asking about the etiquette of booking accessible cabins. In my experience, they will not let you book an accessible cabin this far out unless you need it. They will send you forms to verify that you need it. Even if something falls through the cracks and they would let you book it, please don't.

After final payment, anything that's left is put into general inventory, and anyone can book it. If that's the case, feel free to take it. I do agree with cb at sea, you probably would be better off with a bathtub anyway.

Happy sailing :)

Thanks everyone

May have forgotten to mention that we live in Melbourne. I don't know if Disney sails out here. Don't think I've seen any.

I'm sure we'll do Disney at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did not notice that. Sorry. But yes you should one day try it. But always remember life is always better on a cruise no matter were you are lol

We just came back from Allure and traveled with our 6 and 20 month old. A stroller is a must. If you can get baby supplies from them, that's great, if not, bring your own baby food, diapers, wipes. A regular balcony stateroom is too small, I think with a baby, so definitely get the junior suite.

Definitely go to the 6 pm fixed seating in MDR and ask them to have food ready for your baby when you arrive. The waiter always brought veggies or cut up fruits, which kept our kids busy while we ordered and waited for appetizers. You can also ask the waiters to bring the child's meal right away, instead of waiting for the others. We found our 20 month old couldn't sit through the whole dinner, so we took lots of toys/books and when she became restless, I would take her out for a brief walk while hubby ate, and then we'd switch.

Edited by vega

Cruised with my son when he was 18 months old. The children's club for young toddlers consists of a hour of free play a couple times a day with a club adventure staff member. The staff member puts out toys for the children to play with. The parents need to stay with the child the entire time. It was nice to meet other parents but there was no organized activities. There is babysitting for a fee. The only ships that have nurseries are the Oasis class ships. I don't think the rest of the fleet have nurseries. Hope this helped.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, do you know how much they charge?

On royal caribbean web site go to Baby's to Go area and you can order a whole baby bag with diapers and food all different sizes of diapers and if I am correct it is all organic food. Good luck. Let me know if you find it

Just checked it out... nice perk though prices are about double what they are in stores. It's called "Babies 2 Go."

cor_babies_2_go_hdr.gif

Our partnership with Huggies® and Gerber® takes some of the weight off parents' shoulders - literally! You can pack lighter when you pre-order a completely stocked, ready-to-go diaper bag, or you can supplement your regular bag with a few extra supplies. They'll be delivered to your stateroom upon your arrival.

Edited by vega

Very true. I know this all too well as we've always traveled with our small kids and have bought a huge duffle bag for diapers, baby food, and toys. But I'm also a bit of a control freak and the idea of not knowing what food or size diapers they will have available when I need it is unnerving to me. I also don't like Huggies, so me being a nut, I would have to bring them with me. That being said, it's really nice to know Royal Carib has still stuff available available if you run out!!

We are also in melbourne traveling with a 4 year old.

Have a look at the spirit or the voyager if the seas. We booked aft cabin 7688 due to it being standard price balcony but has a huge balcony that will double as a lounge room while our son sleeps.

They have a great kids club.

As for baby food I would bring my own or see if they could make what your son needs such as mashed veggies.

We have travelled the world with our mac claren stroller.

If you have a preference for nappies bring your own. I use them as space fillers in our bags ie makes room for shopping.