Passengers

Scarlett09

Hi All,

My husband and I are in our early 30's. I have always wanted to do a transatlantic crossing into NYC. Cunard looks to have a very nice liner on the route - the QM2.

We like a relaxing holiday, nothing too loud. Maybe a spa trip, some reading, of course nice food, and most of all time together. Trying to determine if Cunard will suit....what is the age mix like on the transatlantic crossings recently?

On the transatlantic cruises, is the pool open on the QM2? We are looking at May as the month for our holiday. We like lazing by the pool when it is quiet.

Thanks All

Hi All,

My husband and I are in our early 30's. I have always wanted to do a transatlantic crossing into NYC. Cunard looks to have a very nice liner on the route - the QM2.

We like a relaxing holiday, nothing too loud. Maybe a spa trip, some reading, of course nice food, and most of all time together. Trying to determine if Cunard will suit....what is the age mix like on the transatlantic crossings recently?

On the transatlantic cruises, is the pool open on the QM2? We are looking at May as the month for our holiday. We like lazing by the pool when it is quiet.

Thanks All

There are several pools on QM2, all of which are open on a Transatlantic voyage.

It is a very beautiful ship. You can be busy or you can be very relaxed. The choice is yours.

As someone in their late 20s I recommend you book passage. You'll have a great time. Despite their being 2,700 passengers on a full ship you hardly notice! Never had trouble getting somewhere to sit.

You will find all ages on a TA. You will also get a socially diverse mix of passengers as well, all mixing and palling up, which is what I find most fascinating with TA crossings.

You may also have a sprinkling of Celebs on your voyage.

The pools will be open.

Relaxing, not too loud, a wonderful spa, places to curl up with a good book, time together, good food: you've just begun to describe a transatlantic crossing on QM2. Your fellow passengers will span the ages from toddlers to seniors. So have no fear; you will have an extraordinary journey on an extraordinary ship.

I was 20 when I made my first crossing on the Steam Ship QUEEN ELIZABETH 2. I loved it then and I love transatlantic crossings now. My advice is to experience a crossing at least once, and there's a good chance you will come back again.

IMO, there is no finer way to cross the Atlantic than on the QM2. My wife and I will be on the May 16th crossing and will return on the QM2 from Hamburg on June 3rd. Maybe we will see you on board.

The average age tends to be older, but as others have said, all age groups are represented (although there are usually not many children). The one thing that I would recommend is reading some of the other Cunard posts on CruiseCritic, especially those concerning the dress code. The QM2 is not your typical cruise ship and the evening dress code tends to be more formal than on most other lines. If you enjoy dressing up for special occasions, the QM2 is the ship for you. Yes, you can relax at the pools and read to your heart's content, but for many of us, it is the formal nights that make Cunard ships special. Great meals, the best ballroom dancing at sea and you can see a different show every night. I can hardly wait to do it again!

Hi All,

Thanks All

Scarlett, as I read it, you have two questions: one is about the age of passengers on a transatlantic crossing, and the other is regarding the pools.

From reading many posts on this forum by experienced Cunard passengers over the years, my understanding is that the majority of passengers on a Crossing are past retirement age.

Regarding the pools: there are two that might be of interest to you - one is the atrium covered smaller Pavilion Pool on Deck 12, and the other is the outdoor Terrace Pool on Deck 8. If the sea is acting up, the outdoor pool will be closed (netted).

In fact, if the weather is bad enough, all outside decks will be off-limits for safety reasons. While it might not happen often, it is something to consider. "Lazing by the pool" on a crossing in May sounds wonderful. Anything is possible...but likely?

You wrote that you have always wanted to do a crossing - well, then, have at it! Neither the age of your fellow passengers or the pool situation need be a deterrent, if making a crossing is something you want. Best wishes, -S.

Edited to add: Are you planning a round trip Crossing, or will you be flying one way?

Edited by Salacia

I took the time to look thru some of your other posts in the past and see that you are from Australia and that most of your previous voyages appear to have been warm weather cruises. As Salacia succinctly pointed out, the North Atlantic can be very unpredictable. We had to wear jackets on deck several days on a previous crossing due to cold weather and the brisk wind as the ship is moving along at 25 knots. This was not the case every day, but it is something to keep in mind if being in the pool or lounging on deck is of prime importance to you.

Bob

From reading many posts on this forum by experienced Cunard passengers over the years, my understanding is that the majority of passengers on a Crossing are past retirement age.

Yep, I'd agree with that observation. But then the vast majority on any Cunard cruise are past retirement age.

It reminds me of what a lady said to me a few months ago whilst we were queuing next to each other at the travel desk thing on the QV. She said I/we were doing the right thing by going on a cruise/seeing places at our age (30s/40s) because, she said "When you get to be as decrepit as me you never know if you'll be able to get out of bed in the morning, so you're doing the right thing by getting on with it".

So, get on with it !

If you decide to go for it and don't mind paying a premium… try for a Britannia

Club booking. Cabins are on the 12th deck…. near the swimming pool. Club

passage also has its own restaurant (within the main Britannia restaurant) where you can dine at your leisure… no first or last seating.

If you decide to go for it and don't mind paying a premium… try for a Britannia

Club booking. Cabins are on the 12th deck…. near the swimming pool. Club

passage also has its own restaurant (within the main Britannia restaurant) where you can dine at your leisure… no first or last seating.

gwennpenny, yes, I agree with you that Britannia Club accommodations are very nice. But for a first time Trans-Atlantic Crossing, my recommendation is to book a balcony cabin, Midships Deck 5 (or Deck 4 or Deck 6, in that order). Regards,

-S.

gwennpenny, yes, I agree with you that Britannia Club accommodations are very nice. But for a first time Trans-Atlantic Crossing, my recommendation is to book a balcony cabin, Midships Deck 5 (or Deck 4 or Deck 6, in that order). Regards,

-S.

We went Mole Class on TA and I found it fine, but my wife was not so keen.

Salacia.. I've noticed others, like you, have recommended those decks. Is the reasoning that it will be more stable? Just curious, I've been on the ship 3 times… on decks 9, 11 and 12…. and have never had any problems. (But

then I'm a Viking by heritage -:)

Salacia.. I've noticed others, like you, have recommended those decks. Is the reasoning that it will be more stable? Just curious, I've been on the ship 3 times… on decks 9, 11 and 12…. and have never had any problems. (But then I'm a Viking by heritage -:)

While I wouldn't presume to speak for Salacia, I can tell you my main reason for preferring a deck 4-6 balcony, and that is wind control. These are the "hole in the hull" balconies, justly called sheltered verandahs. Because there is a floor to ceiling bulkhead between your veranda and those on either side of you, wind blowing along the ship's side does not have a direct path into the verandah area unless you are in a strong crosswind.

For the same reason, the rest of the cabin will not get as much light as standard balcony cabins. And because the outer hull comes up to about waist level, you cannot see the ocean while seated. But you can smell it and hear it, and see the sky, and you can always walk over to the railing and look down at the sea and try to spot the dolphins that everyone else claims to see but which I think are a maritime urban myth.

Salacia.. I've noticed others, like you, have recommended those decks. Is the reasoning that it will be more stable? Just curious, I've been on the ship 3 times… on decks 9, 11 and 12…. and have never had any problems. (But

It's just physics -- lower and more midships will be more stable, because you are closer to the center of gravity.

gwennypenney, skol, nice to meet you - I am also a Viking by heritage :)

So you know how important the hull is for a stable ride in severe seas; that is - as you guessed, the most stable area of the ship.

I've never been on Deck 9, but on more than once, I have been on 11,12,4,5,6 and 8 (I don't care for the view from Deck 9, and Deck 8 is even worse!). Happily, I've not experienced mal de mare, but I do know it can really rock n' roll on the higher decks when there is a storm at sea.

While the view is better on higher decks, and there can be much more natural light in the cabin, the balcony is next to useless in bad weather compared with a sheltered balcony on the Decks 4, 5, or 6 - but that is only my personal opinion. To each his or her own - everyone finds their personal Valhalla:)

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

I can't speak for the experience of a TA, but I can say with regards to the age groups on board you will almost certainly be in a minority.

I'm 33 and sailed on the QE earlier this year and the average age of the passengers was 80. We stood out. Many other passengers made comments about us "young ones", most light hearted but some a little rude suggesting how we could afford to be there. But even with the age gap we still found many people we had common ground with, and met some wonderful people we have kept in touch with.

But like yourself, we went wanting a relaxing experience where we could just lounge around, eat good food, and generally do nothing. Even if we had of spoken to nobody the entire time, it still would have been amazing.

We're booked to sail on the QM2 next month, so it obviously didn't deter us from returning.

Go for it!!

Scarlett. relaxing round the pool at that time of year will not be the same as in warmer weather but if you mean just sitting around it for somewhere nice that different. There are so many places that u can find to sit and relax. As one poster said 2700 people but honestly not crowded, there are loads of places that u can be relaxed together and comfortable. I have had a sheltered balcony on her and have booked for 2014 for 2 transatlantic sheltered balcony. I like the stability of the lower decks and the in hull does not bother me it's like an extra room but open to the sea, some like some hate them.

Yes there is some dressing up by those who love too bling, but as long as u keep to dress code there is no problem. Go for it even if it does not come up to expectations, though why it wouldn't! u will have scratched it off your "bucket list" enjoy