Strong-arming the upgrade fairy!

When you guys say "online TA's" are you referring to Expedia, Travelocity, etc., or do you mean an old name brand that is now online?

In my case neither of these options. When I first started cruising I booked direct (it was NCL at the time). Then I found a site that allows you to have multiple online agencies bid on the exact cruise you want (I don't believe we're allowed to name names on Cruise Critic). Through that process I'm always able to test the best deal I can expect to receive. We "met" our current TA through this process and we have a very successful business relationship. The biggest reason NCL lost my loyalty is that NCL actually banned this site from aggregating bids on their cruises and I HATE anti-competitive behavior. If you can read between the lines I just happen to believe it's my CRUISE and it's in my best interest when agents COMPETE for my business. My TA will still give me outstanding prices on NCL (~12% off direct booking prices usually with extra perqs like OBC on top) but on principle I've switched lines.

My TA regularly follows up with HAL regarding price changes even after final payment with a successful outcome. I'm quite unsure as to why you think this wouldn't be the case? The fact is everyone should do what they are most comfortable with. Book directly with the cruise line if you think that's your best option or use a TA if that works for you BUT until you've actually tried both, posting your untested assumptions can mislead others.

Yes I have tried both TAs and booking directly, If you read my earlier posts (#13 on the thread) you would have seen that. So I have tested both routes. For me and your milage may vary, I like dealing directly with the cruise line and If I want or need answerers or need to make changes I dont have to wait for a TA to call me back... But thats just how I roll...

Edited by Comptech

Please don't assume your way is the best way. It may just be best for you.

Wow look, all I was doing was responding to the concept that there's not savings to be had by using a TA by giving some personal experience to the contrary. As I said in my earlier post everyone should do what they feel most comfortable with.