FREEDOM OTS 10/15/06 FOD call

darrencantwait

Just booked the Freedom before getting off of our Enchantment of the Seas cruise last Sunday. Can't wait to get on this crazy new ship. There were quite a few "friends" on our newly stretched Enchantment cruise. Should be at least double on Freedom, right?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally a reply to my post. You're the only other so far, Gary. I know we've got a ways to go before we sail...but the ship is almost sold out...so people ought to be getting their butts on here and getting things started. Anyway, two is a start, right?

Anyway, we're from NYC. Darren: 35 and Travis: 30.

We got at least one other cruise before Freedom. We just won a cruise from a Lifetime television sweepstakes. We had to sign documents saying we're willing to be used to promote Lifetime: Television for Women. Guess they'll be using us for Lifetime: Television for Gay Men Too!

Hi Darren & Travis. Our group is growing! Yes, it is official, three is a group. A small group at that but we have to start somewhere. I am sure our numbers will continue to grow. Maybe those who could be in our group just aren't registered with Cruise Critic. Perhaps now we stand a better chance of convincing the cruise director to post an FOD meeting onboard. Hey, you know, I do believe you two are now the official group leaders!!!! Congratulations. No worries, there are no documents to sign! Gosh, first you are celebrities with Lifetime and now you are group leaders! Is there no limit? I am sooooo jazzed about meeting you two online before the cruise. This adds so much more excitement to the trip, especially since we have so far to go. Thank you for posting the roll call. I am going on the cruise with seven other people (straight). Trying to get my gay friends, who like you two are in a relationship, to go as well. I usually take a cruise twice a year and this year my trip was in May. Trying to get another cruise taken before the Freedom trip. Just passed up a 10-day trip on Jewel(s) (ha!) of the Seas for $649. You'll have to lecture me on that. I'm 49 and am from a northern suburb of Detroit so I'll need that October cruise before the winter weather sets in. Looking forward to your reply.

Hey Gary, glad to see you back on here. Last time I was on the Celebrity Constellation, I posted a roll call on the gay pages, and nobody responded until about 10 days before the cruise. I noticed and wrote back...but then he never logged onto the roll call again.

Wow...we're leaders? I think we can handle that. I haven't seen you on the general FOS roll call. That group is crazy active.

I know what you mean about slipping in another cruise this Fall. We have our Constellation Cruise in March...and I don't even think I can wait until then...and we were just on the Enchantment in July. We're hoping to slip our Lifetime cruise in on Thanksgiving.

Good hearing from you. See if you can round up any more people.

Definitely confirmed...you are a group leader...and how typical of a leader to delegate! I already took care of business this morning. Called a travel agent and had her place a hold on a cabin for those two friends I mentioned. They are really nice guys and I certainly hope they can join the cruise.

FOS roll call? Oh, please. I surprised myself that I found my way to this site, created a signature, and was able to contact you. Thought it was best to go right to "our" sight. Did you notice how many people are viewing your roll call, yet not replying? Like, (I lived in LA for 15 years, does it show?) I don't get it.

I only cruise on RCCL. Interested in hearing your comments on other cruise lines.

Can't wait to see you both on your Lifetime TV commercial! Okay, now it is your turn to find others to register.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Darren/Travis,

Long time, no chat. Haven't had much time for CC these days. This recruitment stuff is tough business. Still working on getting some friends to join your chat. Soon I hope. Hey, this Saturday will be 365 days exactly before our cruise. And before we know it with all the holidays coming we will soon be into another year and even closer to that special day. Whatever happened to you trying to get your friends to join? Update me, please! Take care and hope you read this and post soon.

Gary

Dear Friends, { Gary of the Seas and Darren }

Our Names are Jim and Dan, This will be our First Cruise, Thanks to our Good Friend Gary who has helped us with all the Information.

We are looking Forward in meeting you Darren, and other on the Cruise. :) Gary and I are counting the days til the Cruise. Knowing it will be a great time. Thanks again Gary for all your help. in making this Cruise Possible ....a dream come true.:)

Warmly

Jim and Dan

{but mostly Dan}

Hey Jim and Dan...welcome! Good job on the recruiting and help, Gary.

Wow...going on Freedom for your first cruise! I remember getting on Constellation for my first cruise and not being able to believe how HUGE it was. This one will probably just blow you guys away. I'm sure I'M going to be blown away by how huge it is as well.

Let us know if you have any questions up until the cruise. I've got two more to go on before Freedom.

Talk to you all more later.

Wow...going on Freedom for your first cruise! I remember getting on Constellation for my first cruise and not being able to believe how HUGE it was.

Hi Darren/Trevor,

I know exactly what you mean. I started out with an inside cabin on the Enchantment and have worked my way up over the years. For Dan & Jim's first time out of dry dock they picked a mega ship alright! But RCCL has some nice ships and each class has something different to offer.

What happened with the friends you were going to invite?

And since I'm helping to recruit, sure wish some of those who read these posts sure would join in! WE KNOW YOU ARE OUT THERE CRUISING!!!!!

Gary

We haven't been able to get anybody to go, so far. Our other friends are joining us on our March, Constellation cruise.

So, Jim and Dan...don't tell me you started out with a suite or balcony cabin as well! ;) You'll really be starting at the top. Our first cabin was a Celebrity Concierge Class veranda. We booked an inside on our last Enchantment cruise to see if we could tolerate after having the balcony. It wasn't bad at all (especially since we were up in chilly Canada). But, we reverted back to the balcony cabins for our Caribbean trips.

Oh...and my partner's name is Travis...but he gets that a lot. ;)

:o Sorry Travis & Darren! Hey, I warned you all on the other board that I'm 49 and was strung out on caffeine yesterday! Can you tell by that post? That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Again, my apologies Travis. Darren, how does one keep up with all the messages on the other board? By the end of the day I feel like I have a book to read! They are active, aren't they? Don't know if I can keep pace for another year.

Dan/Jim, where are you???????

Darren, doesn't look like RCCL is going to offer us an FOD meeting. Is everyone lost in Oz?

Gary -- what's your source on the FOD meeting? They had them on our Celebrity cruise (ill-attended, I might add). But, I don't remember them on Enchantment OTS. Our gay cruise critic group had our own meetings.

Hopefully more guys (or girls) will find their way here before then. We've got a year.

I knwo what you mean about the boards. That FOS thread is WAY active. My Serenade OTS thread is a corpse in comparison. Only 11 pages, adn we sail 1 month from today.

My Serenade OTS thread is a corpse in comparison.

Hey Buddy! That quote is too funny to me. Then again, when you look at most of the postings on the G/L board, none of the cruises are really showing interest like our other thread for FOS.

No source on FOD meetings my friend; but from what I read, most CDs won't offer a meeting unless they know they have sufficient interest. With you, Travis, Dan, Jim, and I, I don't think that's a crowd! So hey, we will hope for the best and take what comes. And I see nothing wrong with combining with FOS. Do you? You are right about RCCL. They need to get with the times. We shouldn't have to ask for FOD meetings.

Heard from Dan by e-mail. He said he wants to post but every time he does, CC crashes on him. He's tried everything he can possibly think of to get it to work. He does check your thread daily, though.

Okay, chat with you at FOS.

GOTS

Greetings Gary Darren Travis,:D

Just got in from the Gym...going to try this again see if i can get this message to take..:confused: anyway. did my work out race walked my 4 miles. We are Praying Hurricane Wilma does not do any Damage to our Homes in Florida. looks like its going to be a direct Hit...We cheched with our Insurance agy. down there...she said all insurance paper work we have is up to date and fully paided.. So we are cool with the Insurance end of this. just to think...next year at this time we will be on the Cruise...without any Hurricanes !!!!!!!!:p

Hope everyone is well...hope to chat again... Take care. Dan

Hello Gary {mr GOTS} Darren and Travis.

I cannot belive this...My Message did take...jumping up and down here !!!!!!!!!!:D . since we are the only 5 muskateers here so far, will there be a posting on board the ship for a FOD meeting...gary you did say. its still very early. more family should post something stating there interest??:confused: I sure hope so. Darren Gary has been really helpful tell me it is impossible to do everything on the ship...I sure am going to try like a mad man....and have a Blast trying...I am the type of person that cannot stand still for a min. thinking i will miss out on something. I know what your thinking Gary........God help us...:eek: i know i will be in Awww of this whole Cruise....i just dont want to miss one thing...i dont think i will even sleep much. another question....how is the drinking water on board...that all i need is to be in the bathroom most of the cruise..because of the drinking water...advise...lol:rolleyes: ok crossing my fingers that this message goes though.... will be back again.....thanks Danny

...how is the drinking water on board...

Dan, you are a crack up. I cannot tell you how many times a first time cruiser has asked me about water on the ship. Water? What water? That's the last thing someone drinks on a cruise. I thought you knew!

Actually, it is safe to drink and they sell bottled water too.

GOTS

Hey Danny -- So I take it we're gonna see you surfing. ;-) I'm kinda like you. I am very busy on these cruises. But we WILL have to make time for a cocktail or two.

Like Gary said the water is fine on the ships. Some people are put off by the taste. I go either way. We usually pick up a bottle in port to last us until the next day. However, we picked up water in Domincan Republic and were advised that we ought to dump it. We did!!!

They are supposed to be posting the full deck plans for FOS by the end of the month. Should unveil a few more things. Probably nothing as big as the flow-rider, thought.

catch ya later.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

My name is Kathy and my girlfriend is Traci. We are so excited to be going on the FOS in October. We have cruised several times together but can't wait for the FOS!!! We have had our cruise booked since Feb 28th of 2005, so this has been an extremely long wait.

We all should set up time on the first evening of the cruise to meet. My travel agent is planning on making the cruise to no where that leaves from NYC on the inaugral sailing (whenever that is) so she can tell us a good place to meet. Traci and I are planning to head to Miami the day before the cruise leaves so that we can enjoy Miami. Unfortunately, we almost missed our last cruise because our airline company cancelled our flight at 11:30 pm the night before we were to leave. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6:00 the next morning. So we scrambled to get a filght to Boston. So needless to say we are a little uneasy taking a flight the day of the cruise.:eek:

I hope we don't encounter any difficulties in Grand Cayman or Jamaica as I've heard that they are not gay friendly areas. Does anyone know what kind of shore excursions you are planning to do??

Traci and I are actually in the middle of doing IVF. Traci is trying to get pregnant. So that may limit what we can do.

We are looking forward to meeting you all!!

Kathy and Traci

WOW! Welcome aboard, Kathy and Traci. It's getting even more exciting now that we are starting to see photos of Freedom out in the water. IT's getting pretty real.

The cruise activities in NYC are happening around May 12. They'll be showing it on the Today Show on May 12. I'm hoping to get to catch a glimpse while she's here. Hopefully they don't keep Freedom tetherred up in NJ. Not so easy to see it from there.

Good luck on the IVF. 181 days left until we set sail!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Have you seen the great pictures that are being posted? How exciting!! We really are getting the cruise fever. Only a few months left. Can't wait. We'll have to plan to meet somewhere. We really are a lot of fun and love to have a good time. (we're not dorks, I promise!)

The IVF was a very long process that unfortunately didn's work. :( Suck's, but we are going to try again!

Keep in touch!

Kathy

Archived