Doable? Good Idea? Balcony to inside, from to 4 in the room?

willow028

Looking for anyone who may have done this before...

A small bit of history - got my husband hooked on cruising during our honeymoon Splendor cruise. We had an aft extended, and in our two cruises since we had a "L" on the Valor and an aft on the Fascination.

Not to turn this into a family drama thread, but some info is needed I think - he'd been estranged from his three sons (ages 27, 25 and 19) but has slowly rebuilt their relationship and they are planning a short guys cruise on the Imagination in the Spring. The two oldest boys are very close but the youngest has only met his brothers a few times. They've all seen our pictures and heard how much fun we've had, and all are very excited about this bonding trip.

This is somewhat a last minute plan, and money is an issue. They all say for a three night cruise they can share an inside cabin.

I'm just wondering if that's a good idea with the history and the fact that while he says it's fine, my husband is a bit of a balcony snob who shuddered when we walked by open inside cabins on the Fascination.

He wouldn't need a balcony, but wondering if it's worth the extra money to get two inside cabins just for a bit more space? Or is that just me over-thinking? Husband and two oldest boys are low maintenance (run a #2 razor over the head "hairstyles" while the youngest is a bit of a bathroom primper. They know about the gym showers and I've already mapped out a cabin that's in sprinting distance of a public restroom if need be.

Anyone have any experience from going on a "romantic" cruise for two with a balcony to a guys (or girls) only in an inside with four people?

Looking for anyone who may have done this before...

A small bit of history - got my husband hooked on cruising during our honeymoon Splendor cruise. We had an aft extended, and in our two cruises since we had a "L" on the Valor and an aft on the Fascination.

Not to turn this into a family drama thread, but some info is needed I think - he'd been estranged from his three sons (ages 27, 25 and 19) but has slowly rebuilt their relationship and they are planning a short guys cruise on the Imagination in the Spring. The two oldest boys are very close but the youngest has only met his brothers a few times. They've all seen our pictures and heard how much fun we've had, and all are very excited about this bonding trip.

This is somewhat a last minute plan, and money is an issue. They all say for a three night cruise they can share an inside cabin.

I'm just wondering if that's a good idea with the history and the fact that while he says it's fine, my husband is a bit of a balcony snob who shuddered when we walked by open inside cabins on the Fascination.

He wouldn't need a balcony, but wondering if it's worth the extra money to get two inside cabins just for a bit more space? Or is that just me over-thinking? Husband and two oldest boys are low maintenance (run a #2 razor over the head "hairstyles" while the youngest is a bit of a bathroom primper. They know about the gym showers and I've already mapped out a cabin that's in sprinting distance of a public restroom if need be.

Anyone have any experience from going on a "romantic" cruise for two with a balcony to a guys (or girls) only in an inside with four people?

IMHO, I would shoot for 2 cabins.... Especially if they want to maintain and nurture their "relationships" and the younger child not as close to his other 2 brothers...I have had a balcony with 3 and that was very cramped and we were close family but it became "challenging" being cramped, and that was with all the extra room of a balcony... So I would deffo advise a 2nd cabi. In your situation... Good luck...and I hope it works out and they have a great time.

1st cruise just me and hubby in an inside. Size was fine.

I have cruised twice since then in insides...with me, dh and our 2 boys ages 12 and 8. Dh says NEVER again. Too tight, not even enough breathing space to be comfortable for 4 people...and 2 of my 4 were kids (although my 12 yr old is the size of a small adult). Dh says from now on we will only have 2 cabins. Me....well, it's kinda like childbirth. I forget how bad it is until Im there. Im like....oh yeahhhh, this is why 4 people in an inside drives me insane. Yet, I'd rather be one of four people in an inside cabin on a ship than not on a ship at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would get the 2 insides just to give the boys a little extra space, especially since the one is not accustomed to spending time with them yet. We did an inside with my husband and I and our Daughter who was 10 and 12 when we sailed. It was very tight with the 3 of us. With 4 grown men I would be afraid they would be "too" close.

Get too if you can afford it. If not its 3 days anything is doable for 3 days. We are a family of 4 and sour last 3 cruises we have done 2 cabins. So much nicer to have 2 bathrooms if nothing else and my guys are easy going and really i'm not too high maintenance either. But it is nice to have the second bathroom for sure.

I'm cringing doing a 7 day with 3 in a cabin. I got spoiled with 2 rooms but now that the oldest is not coming along we have to resort back to a single cabin.

Maybe look at a OV. I hear they are larger on some ships.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I passed on all the advice, which mirrored my thoughts, but all four of them argued and said they'd be fine in one room - so I did book an OV which at least hopefully will *look* bigger! (Oh and bonus - only one bunk bed and they'll bring in a trundle - the 19 year old won't be imbibing so he can have that bed - that comment above made me LOL because it's SO true!)

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I passed on all the advice, which mirrored my thoughts, but all four of them argued and said they'd be fine in one room - so I did book an OV which at least hopefully will *look* bigger! (Oh and bonus - only one bunk bed and they'll bring in a trundle - the 19 year old won't be imbibing so he can have that bed - that comment above made me LOL because it's SO true!)

I've never had one, but from what I've read a trundle is smaller than a regular bed, more appropriate for children than grown men! Not sure how tall the 19 year old is, but something to consider.

Funny though how men don't want to listen to the wise advice of the women in their llives ... Don't they know we are always right? Lol :)

I've never had one, but from what I've read a trundle is smaller than a regular bed, more appropriate for children than grown men! Not sure how tall the 19 year old is, but something to consider.

Funny though how men don't want to listen to the wise advice of the women in their llives ... Don't they know we are always right? Lol :)

I know right?! They all said they'd happily sleep on the floor just to have this cruise together so who am I to try and be logical?!

I told them if they find it's too cramped, they can always grab a pillow and go sleep on lido - the boys aren't sure if I'm kidding or not! :cool: