New Orleans port vs Galveston port

dkc1973

We just had our first cruise from New Orleans but we have had two from Galveston. New Orleans parking was nice for sure, but does anyone else find the New Orleans port to be a bit confusing and, well, less friendly than Galveston? We are wondering if it was a bad day or what.

They had nobody directing FTTF people to that line. The only people there were halfway down the way and there wasn't even a sign as to what the line was for. When I went over to ask if we should be in that line all three employees acted like I was stupid for not knowing. Then my nieces suitcase had to be checked because the screener just looked at it and said it wouldn't fit in the scanner even though it's within the limits and went through fine in Galveston.

When my niece came back and checked in she told the lady she had FTTF and asked where to sit (Galveston has a designated area) and the lady told her to sit all the way to the end and pointed to the area. We went where she was and found out it wasn't a FTTF area and was in fact the farthest point from the loading area.

Even when we got back my niece had an employee snap at her and roll her eyes at her (she was waiting on one of our group that went to the bathroom and she was well out of the way and not blocking anything)

I'd like to give New Orleans another shot but if this is the norm I might think long and hard before doing it.

Well these are the tips I'd offer:

- If you park at port get off the elevator on floor two or you'll just end up going back up there

- they take a picture even before you get to security and you split into the FTTF and regular line there.

- then you go to the far end of a large room to another FTTF line. But when done go left through the other lines to get back to the chairs

- to board you will walk along the roped off area along the windows. They'll let weddings go in a different area. Best seats will be along the middle aisle.

I wish I had tips in regard to the room but maybe they'll have them ready for you when you get on.

However, the rest of our trip was good! Pearl, on the entertainment team, is hilarious!!

• 1 month later...

THought I would ask this question here since you have been to this port. I will be there on 3/31/14. We are staying at the Wyndam across the street. Can we walk to the pier or do we need to cab it? If we can walk how long of a walk is it? Can anyone help me with this question?

THought I would ask this question here since you have been to this port. I will be there on 3/31/14. We are staying at the Wyndam across the street. Can we walk to the pier or do we need to cab it? If we can walk how long of a walk is it? Can anyone help me with this question?

It's really not an easy walk. You'd have to cross the street, the convention center/mall, and railroad tracks. It's better to take a cheap cab. They'll drive down to Henderson Street and back behind the convention center, which is the normal entrance to the port.