HOU to Galveston for 5

bugsof5

Family of 5 flying into HOU Saturday for Sunday departure on Navigator of the Seas in June 2014. Thinking most economical way to get to port is to stay at hotel near airport Saturday night and hire private car service for round trip transfer to port then back to airport on return. Anyone have experience and/or better ideas

Family of 5 flying into HOU Saturday for Sunday departure on Navigator of the Seas in June 2014. Thinking most economical way to get to port is to stay at hotel near airport Saturday night and hire private car service for round trip transfer to port then back to airport on return. Anyone have experience and/or better ideas

We have used a car service many times at Miami, Orlando (Port Canaveral), and New Orleans, and it's our preferred way of handing port transportation. Have not cruised out of Galveston, but I'm sure you'll find this a good way to go, although the Galveston port is quite some distance from Hobby (HOU).

However, there are only 2 of us, and with 5 people and all the luggage, you'll probably want to find a car service that can provide a van. Most town cars wouldn't take that load.

Also, I'm pretty familiar with the Hobby area and the hotels in the area are all mid-range motels, such as La Quinta. Biggest problem with the area, IMO, is that there's not a lot of options for eating nearby, and you won't have a car. However, if you're arriving late, and won't need dinner, then some of the motels have an included breakfast you can take advantage of before you leave for the port.

You could also consider going to a hotel in downtown Houston, which is not far from Hobby. More options on room type and dining there, and not much added distance on your trip to Galveston.

Edited by VideoTech

We will be staying one night before our April 2014 Navigator cruise at Comfort Suites Hobby Airport for $100, which includes a free shuttle to and from the airport and a free breakfast.

To get to the ship the next morning, we have arranged private transport directly from the hotel via Cool Tours. When we get back to Galveston at the end of the cruise, Cool Tours will pick us up off the ship, store our luggage for the day, and take us one of their scheduled bus tours of Galveston, then take us via private transport to meet our flight. I am sure they will pick you up from the ship and take you directly to the airport if that's what you want. I've emailed and talked to the owner, Steve, several times to get the details all hammered out. He was very responsive and eager for our business. The charge for our round trip (not including the tour of Galveston) is $265. That is for 2 seniors and 3 adults.

Hope this helps.

Also, I should mention that we looked into staying at a hotel in Galveston, but our flight is arriving at 5:00 pm, so we really wouldn't have time to enjoy it for the extra expense. So, we plan to eat dinner at the airport before leaving there (not a great option, but it is what it is). The hotel has also said they would provide free shuttle service to any location within a five mile radius so we could go to a restaurant that way. Since there are five of us, a taxi would be difficult if not impossible, and we will probably keep it simple and eat before leaving HOU.

Thanks for the replies We did book a hotel with free breakfast . Have not gotten a quote from Cool Tours yet, so I will add them to my list. "LostAgain" please post how your arrangements went when you return.

.....So, we plan to eat dinner at the airport before leaving there (not a great option, but it is what it is). The hotel has also said they would provide free shuttle service to any location within a five mile radius so we could go to a restaurant that way. Since there are five of us, a taxi would be difficult if not impossible, and we will probably keep it simple and eat before leaving HOU.

If you're going to eat in the airport at HOU, you'll probably want to do it before you leave the gate area and go pick up your bags. The better restaurants in the airport are in the gate areas, in the central atrium and on either side of it.

Once you leave the gate area, your only option is a Pappas Bar-B-Q. Here's the details on that restaurant:

Pappas Bar-B-Q

Pappas Bar-B-Q offers breakfast tacos, beef, sausage, pork, baked potatoes, shakes and much more to fill your stomach. There's a full bar and To-Go service available.

Hours of Operation:

Sunday - Friday

5:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Saturday

5:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Web Site: http://pappasbbq.com/location/?id=130

Thanks, VideoTech! Good point, which I hadn't thought of, having never been to HOU. I will not want to leave my bags at baggage claim for the length of time it will take to eat dinner. Maybe one of us can pick up dinners to go while the others go to collect the luggage.

I'm going on the Navigator on April 27th and found a good deal at La Quinta Houston Hobby. For $180 you get the room for a night, free breakfast, and it includes round trip shuttle for 4 to the Galveston port. As the rooms normally run $100, that works out to be $80 for ROUND TRIP transport to the port. Don't know what to do if you have more than 4 people though; maybe they can work with you if you call them directly.

Edited by Rewind