Riviera deck on the Royal Princess

missmymary

Hello out there.....Does anyone know anything about the Riviera deck on the Royal Princess. We are booked on that deck for Feb. 2014 in cabin R408...would love to hear from anyone who has been there as to how rocky it is since it is up high. I read that the upper decks are most favorable however they do tend to get rocky in somewhat rough waters. I really don't know if in Feb. we would have rough waters going to the Eastern Carribean.

Thank you for your help.

Hi-

While I have not been up that high and can't comment specifically on the upper decks, that time of year should be favorable for calm seas. Of course, there are always exceptions...

You probably know this already, but the middle of the ship (on any deck) would also be the steadiest. - Diana, http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com.

Hi-

While I have not been up that high and can't comment specifically on the upper decks, that time of year should be favorable for calm seas. Of course, there are always exceptions...

You probably know this already, but the middle of the ship (on any deck) would also be the steadiest. - Diana, http://musingaboutcruising.blogspot.com.

Thank you for your reply ! I am going to stay put on the Riviera.Deck..Hubby is a doc so we will bring meds i guess...lol

Hi,

We were on the Royal in that same room Nov. 17. There was quite a bit of rolling side to side motion, in fact several people commented on the amount of motion throughout the ship. The weather was overcast and a little rainy at times. To me, I thought they just weren't using the stabilizers as much because I had heard that the Royal was very stable, but that's just speculation.

Having said that, I'm prone to sea sickness, so this time I brought some meds with me. I didn't need them at all. Even though I could clearly feel the motion most of the time, it had no real effect on me.

Also, after getting off the ship, it took my wife and I awhile to get our land legs back! :)

We had a great cruise and thoroughly enjoyed the new Royal!

Dan

Hi,

We were on the Royal in that same room Nov. 17. There was quite a bit of rolling side to side motion, in fact several people commented on the amount of motion throughout the ship. The weather was overcast and a little rainy at times. To me, I thought they just weren't using the stabilizers as much because I had heard that the Royal was very stable, but that's just speculation.

Having said that, I'm prone to sea sickness, so this time I brought some meds with me. I didn't need them at all. Even though I could clearly feel the motion most of the time, it had no real effect on me.

Also, after getting off the ship, it took my wife and I awhile to get our land legs back! :)

We had a great cruise and thoroughly enjoyed the new Royal!

Dan

Thank you Dan...I guess we will stick with this room...hubby is a doc and we will bring meds...hopefully we will not need them !!

To me, I thought they just weren't using the stabilizers as much because I had heard that the Royal was very stable, but that's just speculation.
The stabilizers are either deployed or not. If they weren't deployed, you would have felt a lot more motion. There's just so much motion the stabilizers can counteract. Even though the Royal is relatively stable, it's taller than other Princess ships and would be more affected by wind. Those upper decks can act as a sail.

The stabilizers are either deployed or not. If they weren't deployed, you would have felt a lot more motion. There's just so much motion the stabilizers can counteract. Even though the Royal is relatively stable, it's taller than other Princess ships and would be more affected by wind. Those upper decks can act as a sail.

Oh dear Pam !!! I guess I'll be blowing in the wind..just like Peter Paul and Mary.. lol

We try to sail every Feb. In the Caribbean, generally eastern or southern and have found the seas very calm for the most part. Some movement when at night the one time we were "speeding" trying to make an early docking. We have usually been on the Lido or Rivera deck. My DW is very sensitive to the seas and she has not had a problem. First cruise she brought every remedy that anyone suggested and was very apprehensive, but them she made me book another cruise before we got off the ship.