CAFE ROMA and your thoughts?

KOOLBEANS

Thank you for responding. Hmm, well I purchased a groupon and it is now in the lower garden district, I understand we can take a streetcar to get there. I have changed hotels, not even going to the lower garden district now, but thats how I roll lol. Maybe we will, maybe we wont, we will have a good time whatever we do!! Thanks again :)

We are really looking forward to the good eats!! Good to know they are everywhere pretty much! I am going to try a oyster on this trip, so I've read for a newbie on those, best to try a fried one first? Going to get a poboy and go from there!! Always love reading about good places to eat, not on the expensive side tho, have to watch my $, so if you have suggestions I would love to know about them and thank you for taking the time!!

Johnny's Poboy's are affordable and EXCELLENT. Oysters, I have never had them fresh, always fried. We usually go to Deanies for those.

Camelia Grill is also really good diner style cheap food. There are two locations, one in the quarter and one at St. Charles and Carrolton where the street car makes the corner. Just ride the St Charles line until it turns on Carrolton and you'll be right there at the original Camelia grill.

One of the great joys in life is eating a cold, fresh, salty raw oyster. No cocktail sauce, no cracker, maybe just a couple of drops of fresh lemon juice, but that takes a little getting used to.

No one fries oysters better than Deanie's. Another treat is chargrilled oysters. Drago's (there is one in the Hilton Riverside hotel) invented them, and theirs are hard to beat. They are grilled in the half-shell with butter, herbs and spices. You eat the oyster and then dip French bread in the sauce. Not heart-healthy, but not something you would eat every day.