Which are the best ruins to see?

sparklingsoul

Lamanai is Spectacular! It is well worth the effort to get there. When you climb to the top of the temple and overlook the jungle canopy - it is breathtaking. We have also done Coba in Cozumel - also amazing. IMHO climbing to the top of a Mayan Temple is an incredible experience. Walking around looking at them is nice, but can't be compared to climbing. If you have the mobility - do it while it is still permitted. So many are now restricted to just viewing.

Go to Lamanai in Belize. Did this tour via the ship in Oct. It was my first trip to a Mayan ruin and it was fun. We had a 60 minute bus ride and then a thrilling and fast 40 minute boat ride. The ruin site is like going back in time as there are a few families of howler monkeys in the trees. The monkeys make loud howls, it like being in Jurassic Park. You can also climb up the high temple which was harder than I thought.

Take a look at this wonderful aerial view of this big temple.

Tony

Edited by thescot123

Go to Lamanai in Belize. Did this tour via the ship in Oct. It was my first trip to a Mayan ruin and it was fun. We had a 60 minute bus ride and then a thrilling and fast 40 minute boat ride. The ruin site is like going back in time as there are a few families of howler monkeys in the trees. The monkeys make loud howls, it like being in Jurassic Park. You can also climb up the high temple which was harder than I thought.

Tony

Looks like they aren't offering this on the NCL Jewel on Dec 25. Maybe Christmas is the reason.

I want to get a private tour to Altun Ha, but all of the operators I am e-mailing are trying to gouge me ($250-$300 for my family of 4), when I read others here post that they got the same thing done for like $170 total.

Any good recommendations for cheap but effective private tour operators? I don't want to take ship tour to Altun Ha. I've heard bad things about it.

Looks like they aren't offering this on the NCL Jewel on Dec 25. Maybe Christmas is the reason.

I want to get a private tour to Altun Ha, but all of the operators I am e-mailing are trying to gouge me ($250-$300 for my family of 4), when I read others here post that they got the same thing done for like $170 total.

Any good recommendations for cheap but effective private tour operators? I don't want to take ship tour to Altun Ha. I've heard bad things about it.

You are on the same cruise as me over Xmas. Because we are in Belize on Christmas day, I was worried that a lot of tours would not be operating. Managed to book a private excursion to Goff's Caye via Island Marketing. I have read that they use Ecotours who has a good reputation and who operate within the Tourism Village. the cost is $40 pp and leaves at 9.30am and last about 4 hours. Below are the details and websites. Island Marketing does offer some non-snorkeling trips that they may have on Xmas day.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/BelizeBeachSnorkeling.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g291960-d2548808-Reviews-Goff_s_Caye-Belize_Cayes.html

They do offer Altun Ha for $42.50 pp.Just email or call them to see if they are operating over the holiday.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/AltunHa.htm

Tony

Edited by thescot123

You are on the same cruise as me over Xmas. Because we are in Belize on Christmas day, I was worried that a lot of tours would not be operating. Managed to book a private excursion to Goff's Caye via Island Marketing. I have read that they use Ecotours who has a good reputation and who operate within the Tourism Village. the cost is $40 pp and leaves at 9.30am and last about 4 hours. Below are the details and websites. Island Marketing does offer some non-snorkeling trips that they may have on Xmas day.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/BelizeBeachSnorkeling.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g291960-d2548808-Reviews-Goff_s_Caye-Belize_Cayes.html

They do offer Altun Ha for $42.50 pp.Just email or call them to see if they are operating over the holiday.

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/AltunHa.htm

Tony

Thanks, Tony, and I have seen a lot of your posts on here.

I actually strongly considered Goff's Caye when I saw that you suggested it a few weeks back, but ultimately decided against it because I have a 3-year-old and had read that the boat ride there can be very rough. I also thought the island might be a bit too small for kid, and even our 10-year-old might get sick of it quickly.

I looked at your link regarding Altun Ha, and while $42.50 isn't a bad price, the tour is not private.

My goal is to be the first tender off (hopefully we will get down there early enough to make this happen), and then have a private tour van drive us immediately to Altun Ha, beating as many of the buses as possible. I don't want to go with a tour group there. I really just want it to be our family of 4.

Tony

Thanks for the awesome video! I signed up for the Lamanai excursion on the Dec. 15 Royal Caribbean Navigator. Can't wait!

Thanks for the awesome video! I signed up for the Lamanai excursion on the Dec. 15 Royal Caribbean Navigator. Can't wait!

You are welcome. This YouTube video made me do the excursion in Oct. It is a wonderful place to put on one's bucket list.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

$250 to $300 does not seem like gouging. We paid $50 each for a tour with a group of 8. Paying $60 to $75 for a private tour does not seem bad at all. Our tour included lunch at a local place that what quite good. We went with Charlie's Cave Tubing, you could contact them.